Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Emerald princess itineries might fit, try this link

http://www.princess.com/pb/searchResults.do?time=261&trade=E&ship=EP

Then go here http://www.princesscruises.co.uk to order the brochure if they take your fancy.
I would have recommended the Ocean Village as that is the most casual cruise I know of.

It also depends what you mean by "dress up". I understand that on the OV people will continue to wear day wear in the evening such as football tops and shorts. However on the Thomsons ships and the Island Star for example, people will change into smart jeans or trousers and a shirt or smart T-shirt in the evening, so not really dressed up just what you would normally wear in a resort.

luci :wave
Thanks for the tips. I meant smart jeans or trousers and a shirt or smart T-shirt . I will look at those recommended

Any other advise would be appreciated

Biff
If hubby is fine with smart trousers/shirt then you will have a lot more ships available. I've found that the Americans are less likely to dress up that the Brits. Some Brits were appauled when the American guy at our table wore a polo neck sweater on the formal night!

I would avoid P&O, but Princess, RCI and NCL are just a few that may have the cruise you're looking for.

You may find this topic useful for other informationNew to Cruising

Thomsons was fine didnt need to get too dressed up a pair of trousers and a shirt and a blouse / trousers skirt
Booked Ocean village 2 for a fortnight.

Really fancied the carnival Freedom but the family were hooked on OV2.

Its expensive because we went for balconies etc, but we might as well do it properly the first time just in case I cant get hubby to cruise for a second time.

A couple more years and we will be able to book the offpeak dates but with one doing A levels and the other doing GCSE's we cant really pull them out of school

Thanks for all the advise

Biff
When my wife convinced me to cruise for the first time almost 3 years ago for silver wedding celebration it was really only to please her, given the occasion.

6 cruises later, and two booked for this year there is very little now that would attract us for a land based holiday. We are both entirely hooked for life! Can relate entirely to the family situation you have at present, and can testify to some fantastic deals available once the kids don't want you around on holiday any more!!

You may even find that his attitude to "dressing up" for dinner etc. may change, I know mine has over time. Do remember that even the most formal dress cruises have the formal thing only 2 nights from 7. You will learn a lot by talking to seasoned fellow cruisers on board.
Congratulations on getting booked up. As the OV2 is a new ship, we don't have any reviews yet. Perhaps you will be the first person to review it.

My hubby was the same as Hamrag. He didn't want to go on a cruise due to the dressing up, but did it as it was what I fancied for my big birthday. He did wear a suit on the formal nights and two cruises later bought a new suit especially for cruising! He even bought a winged shirt and bow tie when we went on the Sea Princess.

When are you going and which ports are you visiting? You may find some information on doing some of the ports DIY in the sitcky topic at the top of the forum.

I never used to care for the dressing up but,

I got a second hand DJ from a chaity shop £25 and pick up the fancy shirts when ever.

It makes dressing for a couple of nights dead easy and you do look good next to the girlies in their posh frocks

ALWAYS stick the shirts in the laundry and they come back great. cost is tiny($5) and saves the washing and ironing at home.

The DJ goes in for a dry clean every now and then, came back looking like new last time. Ships have also done a great job with the fancy dresses the OH takes.

For long haul I sometimes don't bother. but ex UK it is a no brainer since we take the car and pack loads.

If anyone sees a button on frill that can go on any shirt let me know I want one.
Booked Ocean village 2 for a fortnight.

Excellent Biff - you will love it am sure.

I think the OV will suit you and your family as there as plenty of activities for you.

Kath x
Thanks Kath

I hope so 2. I want it to be the start of cruising life :lol:
Well most people are smitten with it.

I really enjoyed it and to be honest it takes a lot for anything to compere with it.

Kath x
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.