Caribbean Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Caribbean
mexico
24 Posts
Not been to either, but we will only go adults only to mexico and the carribean. I am not sure if this is an option for you but it really does make a difference when you are there. Whatever you choose enjoy!! xx
Neither!!! The Caribe is better. The Palace is the posher of the two you list but both have poor beach area. The Caribe is only a 5 min bus trip away and in a far better position .
I've been looking at Thomsons can't see the Caribe. Can see Sensatori and Temptation are they any good?
Temptation is an adults only swingers type place-if your into that great if not, then give it a wide berth!!

Sensatori-we never looked at as its not adults only. Be aware there are many levels of 5* in Mexico. The more luxury end have the a la carte resturaunts about 6/7+ of them and you have no limited use (as many times as you want) These are the places you want to be going.
Look at
Excellence Riviera Cancun (out of this world)
Excellence Playa Mujeres (same)
El dorado seaside (cheaper adults only than above. but still have a la carte)
El dorado Royale
Just a few to check out. Also go on tripadvisor for anywhere you choose xx
PS, dont only stick to high street TA's try carribean warehouse/carribean collections as they can come up much cheaper than the high street and will beat any quote.

Also depending when you are going do not book now as the prices are sky high. We will be booking for next aug at excellence playa mujeres (on first choice website) and the prices are a lot cheper (approx 1k) either at xmas new yr time (nobody generally books at these times) or in approx march/april next year, you really can save a lot of ££££ by watching when prices are more expensive x
mari wrote:
I've been looking at Thomsons can't see the Caribe. Can see Sensatori and Temptation are they any good?

We booked with First Choice but flew on a Thompson plane, They are one and the same ;)

http://www.firstchoice.co.uk/holidays/mexico-caribbean-coast-holidays/cancun/riu-caribe/

You can use all the facilities eating /drinking etc at the Cancun 24/7 if you stay at the Caribe, and as I said in the previous post its in a much better position and gets allot more sun later in the day than the two down by the strip, being away from the strip you don't get the "Sales women ;) " problem every time you step out the front door either.
We are staying at the Excellence Cancun Riveira from the 16/11 - what is the policy around tipping. Should we expect to tip for drinks/meals etc? We have purchased Mexican Peso but should we also take some US Dollars?

Thanks - dont mean to hijack the thread!
timmyp25,

Tipping is entirely at your discretion. If you feel you've had good service, it's up to you if you want to tip or not. 10 or 20 pesos was the usual amount when I was over there in September.

Darren
At ERC we got a little carried away in hindsight. WE took pesos but dollars are mostly used so we tipped in them.

Breakfast $2 should have $1 really
Lunch $2
Waiter drinks service on beach/pool $1 1st drink and your choice after that.
Dinner $3-7 depending on how good it was. Could have been $3/4

people also tip room service and minibar, we never thought to do this. If you want a specific drink though leave a note and tip and you will get it.

Enjoy, I am very jealous xx
rilou81 wrote:
At ERC we got a little carried away in hindsight. WE took pesos but dollars are mostly used so we tipped in them.

Breakfast $2 should have $1 really
Lunch $2
Waiter drinks service on beach/pool $1 1st drink and your choice after that.
Dinner $3-7 depending on how good it was. Could have been $3/4

people also tip room service and minibar, we never thought to do this. If you want a specific drink though leave a note and tip and you will get it.

Enjoy, I am very jealous xx

Thanks for your reply. Looks like I will need to pick up some dollars from somewhere before we go, we've only got Peso so far.

I assume that you enjoyed ERC? Its our first time in mexico so thought we'd splash out. We've upgraded to the excellence club room as well - just hope its as good as the hype!!
Yes we adored the place, we went for our honeymoon, if its a special occassion whilst there make sure you email and let them know to get the packages!

Fingers crossed we get to EPM next year xx
timmyp25 wrote:
Looks like I will need to pick up some dollars from somewhere before we go, we've only got Peso so far.

Pesos will be fine, you're in Mexico! Dollars are commonly used as their major clientel is from the US and Canada. However Pesos are their national currency, they're just as happy accepting those.

Darren
We took a mix of dollars and pesos but in the end we only spent/tipped $5 US, the rest of the time we used pesos. We tipped $20 pesos for breakfast $40 pesos for lunch and $60 pesos for dinner where appropriate. $20 pesos bills were in plentifull supply from reception when changing larger bills. Personally I feel that pesos are appreciated more as these do not need changing locally.
Hi, I can't understand why us brits would take dollars to mexico when their national currency is pesos :que , a lot of the mexican workers do'nt even have a bank account, so to tip in dollars is a real hassle for them, also, a lot of them don't have their own cars and rely on their public transport system whom they have to pay in pesos , I realise that the majority of visitors are american, hense the acceptance of the dollar, but we as brits should use the currency of the country we are visiting. This is from speaking to a lot of workers, not just in our hotel, but in playa del carmen also, just wanted to share this .
Hi
Have been looking at the Royal In cancun which is adults only coming out at about £3.5k for 2 adults for 2 weeks I'm gonna wait see if it comes down.
Excellent choice Mari. Who are you looking with?
We have been 3 times - best hotel in the world. IMO.
Last year we followed the prices for a couple of months and found the best time to book was January. We paid £3200 including premium seats with TC. Got price for the internet and then went into TC shop and they bettered the price, gave us free insurance and free airport lounge. We upgraded to the presidential suite when we got there.
Hi

Seen it in the First Choice brochure is it in a good location? Do you have to wear a wristband?
Yes it's in a great location.On a great beach,10mins walk from Coco Bongo's etc. MUCH cheaper with TC. Yes you have wristband but it is transparent. The GREAT advantage with this hotel, you can transfer nights with the sister hotel Royal Playa del Carmen, we normally do a week at each.Two holidays for the price of one ! Have you had a look at the website? http://www.realresorts.com The pictures do not do the place justice.
Thanks been on Thomas Cook can't find it on there. I deffo want to go that hotel just holding off to see if it comes down in price. :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.