Far East

Discussions regarding holidays in the Far East.
Always put our own drinks in the minibar (mostly soft) in the Far East. I would never dream of paying the over inflated prices of the hotel mini bars, and after all they are hot countries and you need to keep your fluid levels up - you'd need to take out an extra mortgage if you payed the hotel prices.

It's not just city hotels, its most hotels. I've only stayed in one hotel in Thailand where they were charging prices similar to those outside - then I was happy to purchase stuff from the mini-bar. One good thing about the serviced apartments is that they expect you to bring your own stuff in.
That's one of the great things about the Holiday Inn in Phuket... their fridge is empty and a little shop with beer and soft drinks at almost street prices. We always book ground floor, pool view room and that way we can nick into you room and get a drink. They don't seem to mind if you bring your own drink around the pool... well, we bought it there :cheers

Some hotels (not the HI) we've had to stand up and be firm when presented with mini bar charges that we haven't had... some hotels just can't help themselves and like to try it on. We always check our bill and find many errors like one time in Fiji they billed us twice for the same meal :yikes
we found similar in KS Geri. They did stock the minibar but only a fraction over the shop prices- result was that we used the minibar all the time and they obviously had not paid shop prices for the drink so they made a profit. Result- both happy. Same was true for our Ubud hotel and also for Saigon.
We found similar in HK Fiona - we never touched the mini bar it was just too expensive.
Know exactly what you mean
Never worried in Bali, but in some city hotels they really do go voer the top with prices- theres always a small shop somewhere close by though
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.