Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
We ere in Kefalonia a few weeks ago and there was a little earthquake there. It just felt like a little shudder, nothing much happened. It wasn't anything to be worried about.
Just download NASA World Wind software select Plug-ins and you can get various data for world earthquakes - locations, magnitudes, etc. A moving experience... :omg
http://worldwind.arc.nasa.gov/
We were in Zante a few years ago in October. We were in a fairly small complex and apparently there was a small earthquake one night. People in the block next to us felt it but we didn't! We are fairly heavy sleepers.

Don't really think there is anything to worry about. I don't think they have had a strong one since about 1953.

Pippa
ok thanks for the replies just checking!
We were in Kalamaki a couple of weeks ago and had an earthquake - it was a noise like a express train passing, then a loud bang and some shaking. All over in a few seconds. The locals hardly batted an eyelid in fact the waiter said 'Nothing to worry about. If you see me looking scared then its time to worry!!'
We were in zante, october 19-26 last year and we had several earthquakes, the biggest being 6.2. I worried and panicked all week(having 2 children and elderly mum with me).but as the previous post said,the locals hardly battered an eyelid.
Dont let the threat worry you, as the buildings in zante are built to withstand an earthquake of 9. something.
It certainly was an experience that alot of peeps dont get on their package holiday.
Zante is beautiful with lovely people, so enjoy your hols.

Looking forward to hearing about your hol on return(especially if you get a rumble or two :wink:
thanks guys! :wink:
I went to zante in august and experienced a mini tornado whilst i was there! :yikes that was quite exciting! and again the locals didnt bat an eyelid. so if i do experience anything i will let you know how it goes!
go on sunday cant wait! :yipee
Hi leg_endy2k5 :wave

If you have time you may find THIS topic interesting, it was the subject of a rather long and sometimes heated discussion.

There is a lot of info regarding earthquakes in Zakynthos and elsewhere in the world in the discussion which may surprise you.

If you do read it don't worry, if it was so bad there would be no tourists going to Zakynthos or indeed other parts of Greece for that matter.
The millions of tourist visiting Greece ( many repeatedly ) are testimony to how safe it is.
I experienced a few when I lived there. The biggest was a 6.9, I recall. They are actually quite interesting to experience and really makes you realise what power Mother Nature has... Nothing to worry about though.
I went to Zante twice last year. The second time was in October - and yes we had a mini earthquake. It makes you jump, reminds you that your'e not in the UK... but it's absolutely nothing to worry about. When the locals start clearing their homes and kids into a car and speeding off at 100mph, screaming "Earthquake!", then maybe it's time to be a little concerned.
Enjoy your holiday.
Zante is lovely!
Hugs, Elle xx
We were on Tsilivi beach in Oct. 2004. & my wife felt the earth move :rofl !!!
Hi

Just to put the earthquake thread into perspective..

As it says on the subject header "Zante 0 United kingdom 3"

Scotland

England Humber North Sea area

And i cant find the English channel link but, there was a simmilar earthquake mid channel two weeks ago..

And none in the Zakynthos region for the last couple of months :wink: :wink:
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.