Caribbean - Cuba Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Cuba
Mobile in Cuba
29 Posts
Mobile coverage in Cuba can be quite patchy in rural areas as Cuba is quite a poor copuntry. Not many people own mobiles out of the towns and cities. You will need a triband phone. This website maybe of use.

http://www.cellular-news.com/coverage/cuba.shtml

Personally, I don't take a mobile on hols with me because I want to get away from all that for 2 weeks! Phoning home from cuba is quite reasonable using land lines.

Darren
Hi, we met somebody in Guardelavaca that had a Tri band phone on the o2 network and that worked fine over there.
We phoned home from the hotel whilst we were there and it cost us Â$11 for about 2 1/2 minutes
Ellie
I stayed at the Paradisus Rio De Oro just outside Guardalavaca (march 2004) and it was around $4 per minute which I though was very reasonable.

Darren
Last july Vodafone didnt work in Cayo Coco, however o2 worked fine at the beach, away from the trees.
Just come back O2 was fine, but I undersatnd Orange and Vodaphone do not work.

Havent had the bill yet but I belive costs are high, mostly used text which I understand is also more expensive.

People phoning home from the hotel were saying that the charges were very high. ie GBP40.00 for 15 minutes.

Kind Regards
Stewart
I got back from Cuba a week ago and my mobile phone worked perfectly. I am with Orange and do not have a triband phone. Im guessing Vodaphone has the same sort of coverages as orange, so should work. Although i got great reception for two weeks, dont rely on it too much as apparantly it is quite inconsistant and unpredictable.
Have a great trip!
Orange works in the Cayo's (somedays no networks worked!)
I don't know if duel band works, but triband did
Hi

Just wondered if anyone can help me? I'm off to Cuba in a couple of weeks and just wondered whether my mobile phone will work (sorry if this is a stupid question)?

I am on a Vodafone monthly contract and have quite a new phone.

Any advice greatly appreciated! :D
Hi.

The following link will tell you all about the available coverage for your network provider.
http://www.vodafone-i.co.uk/abroad/ir/vfIntRoamingHome.do

Cheers Ken. :)
Many thanks - just had a look now but Cuba is not one of the countries listed in the drop down box although I note other islands that way are. Should I presume from this that Cuba does not receive Vodafone network coverage?

I have been into my local Vodafone shop and the guy initially told me it wouldn't work but then changed his mind and no one else knew either!
Hi.

It's highly unlikely your phone will work if Vodafone is not showing cuba as part of their coverage.
I know that you are able to pick up other networks but with regards to using them while using a vodafone sim i'm unsure.
Should my memory be correct you must have at least a tri-band phone as well.
Would advise calling Vodafone and if you are unable to use their service and your phone allows it replacing your current simcard with an Orange sim or other network.
Sorry i am unable to help much further, you maybe able to use Vodafone in cuba depends how up to date the site at vodafone is.

Cheers Ken. :)
Is it just me :?: or can I ask the question
Why the :!: :!: :!: :!: would anyone want to have a mobile whilst on holiday
there is nothing worse than some ignorant tosser shouting in to their phone while you are trying to relax on the beach/by the pool.
Leave the thing at home :idea:
I always take my mobile on holiday! Not for making/receiving calls, just for sending/receiving text messages. I have my phone on silent so it doesn't bother anyone.

Pippy :D
If only everyone was as considerate as you PIPPY the world would be a far better place :D
I always take my mobile on holiday, my husband and I take separate holidays and I like to send him a text to let him know I have arrived and
a couple of short messages during the holiday, it's also handy if the return plane is going to be late then he doesn't have to sit around at the airport waiting for me. Last year I went to Australia and I sent a couple of friends texts ( I rarely send cards) as they were forever asking my husband if he had heard from me. I don't use the mobile for calls though as I hate to hear other people talking on the phone so I don't expect people to want to hear my conversations.
I've just got back from Varadero, and my Vodafone mobile worked no problem. I only used it for an odd text message, it was switched off most of the time, but it worked no problem throughout the 2 weeks. Signal strength was strong whenever I had it switched on. We also had an O2 modile with us and that was fine as well.

Darren
My mob has worked in Cuba, Jamaica, Mexico and the DR,,, i only use it for phoning hometwice during a two week stay... You can set the phone to detect a local compatible signal via the settings menu... autodetect network

ATB,J.
as long as you have international calling provisioned with your network provider the is no reason why you shouldn't get reception.

all uk networks have agreements with foreign networks and as a visitor to the area we on uk networks are roaming customers and our phone will hop around all local networks depending on which has best coverage at that monent

obviously for long haul destinations a tri/quad band phone is essential
Just got back from Cuba and had no problems using a very basic dual-band Nokia and a tri-band Siemans with both Virgin and OneTel simcards in both Santiago and Havana.

However, I was staying with a family in Santiago rather than in a hotel and the Nokia charger wouldn't operate on their flat 2pin 110v supply. This wasn't a problem as I'd warned friends back home that I'd have the voice mail switched off and would only be switching both phones on for a short time each morning to check for text messages, so the single battery charge before leaving home lasted the full 2 weeks.

It would appear that all mobiles services on the isalnd are provided by the single Government telecom company and as long as your service provider has a reciprocal agreement there really should be no problem.

SM
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.