General Chat

Start a debate or just have a natter its all happening in the General Chat forum!
I think you will find the Iphone users amongst us will recommend the Iphone, and the Samsung users will recommend the latter. I'm surprised you are even considering changing to Samsung , given that you say they are the same price. The Iphone is the Rolls Royce of phones, good to look at, well engineered, reliable, unlimited apps and should have a a dedent trade in value. The Samsung is , well a Samsung and didn't they get sued by Apple for nicking their ideas? No prizes for guessing what I own.
Thanks for that Frank, strangely (or not) your thoughts are essentially the same as mine, I was just wondering if perhaps I was missing something by not at least looking at the Samsung.
I have a blackberry so am not in a position to comment per say. However I think it is hard to get an unbiased opinion on such things as an IPhone v alternatives as those that have them seem to love 'em to bits.

if you go on forums like Hot Deals UK and techie forums you tend to get two distinct camps of either for apple or against and it normally degenerates into something none too pretty. :yikes

So well done for being open minded on it :tup I would go with your gut feeling if they are the same price.

Doe :sun2
i got my first smart phone about 6 weeks ago, it one of the Galaxy family, wouldn't change for the world so easy to use [even has built in sat nave never had one before it may be useful] and plenty of other apps whatever you need

at the end of the day they are both phones and do that job well, just depends on your needs and personal choice

brian
I have had 3 iphones, now on the 4s and i love them and wouldn't change it, everything in my house is apple, so although you may think i am biased, i have had their products for over 10 years. My mum who has never had an iphone but loves Samsung, i tried hers and find it very strange compared to what i am used to. Plus i like bigger phones as quite clumsy :D
I'd go for the Galaxy S III. I've just spent HOURS reading review after review, comparison after comparison, for the iPhone 5, Galaxy S II and HTC One X and of the three, I'd choose the Galaxy over the HTC and the HTC over the iPhone.

All smart phone manufacturers are suing and counter-suing each other so I wouldn't take any notice of that.
One of the girls I work with swore by her iPhone but she just changed to the Nokia Lumia and says it finds WiFi connections where her iPhone never did. She's totally in love with it!
I had always wanted an iPhone and at last I had accumulated enough points :cheers But I ended up getting the Galaxy SII instead. I liked it better because the screen is bigger, so I can see text messages easier, plus it really is more robust than an iPhone!! Several of my friends have dropped their iPhones, and bang goes the screen!! I've done the same with my Samsung on numerous occasions and it's fine. It may be a bit bigger, and I do find it awkward to hold, but I wouldn't swap it now.
:que

I had almost decided on the Samsung (for a change) but thought I would do a bit more digging and found a comparison of the 2 models on the 3G website which has swung me back to my initial choice of the iPhone5 :duh

http://www.3g.co.uk/PR/Sept2012/iphone-5-v-samsung-galaxy-siii-which-is-the-better-smartphone.html

Several of my friends have dropped their iPhones, and bang goes the screen!!

I know the glass body on the iPhone 4 was know to break, who would have a glass phone body :whoops
I’m one of those PC old timers who will not, on principle, buy anything with the Apple logo.
So I went for a Galaxy SII when I needed a new phone, and enjoyed pointing out to my iPhone4 using daughter just how wonderful my phone is with a huge screen, excellent camera, replaceable battery, and expandable memory storage.

However, my daughter recently accidently dropped her iPhone into a large mug of hot green tea.
(she really ought to waken properly in the morning before making calls)
It died a death. She tried the “put it in a bag of rice” trick to dry it out, but it was forever dead.
She had bought it cash in Hong Kong, not tied to any network, didn’t have insurance and so expected to be the thick end of 500 quid out of pocket.
She went to an Apple Store in HK – they replaced it with a brand new identical phone for just a charge of 90 pounds. They told her that it would be higher if the screen were cracked, but water damage, this would be the cost. That is amazing customer service!
I reckon that if I drop my Galaxy in my beer one night, I will be very alone with a dead phone.

Another factor is the user interface. The iPhone really is easy to use, you don’t need an instruction book, everything just works intuitively.
The Samsung Galaxy – you DO need the book, and all the help videos out there on YouTube, to fully use it. It’s not intuitive unless maybe you were born with strange twisted Korean logical facilities.

So – it has to be a personal choice.
I’ll still personally never buy things with an Apple logo – but I’m weird.
My DD also has nothing but praise for the apple geniuses (I think that is what they are offically called ?) in store she says the level of service is excellent and has been known to do daffy things with her Iphone and they normally manage to sort them out, alhtough I guess you are paying for it by being with Apple in the first place.

On the other hand me and OH got our phones in the local Stressco lol, but in fairness the staff there were pretty good compared to a couple of technophobes like us. :rofl

Doe :sun2
I still have a 19.99 cheap nokia that everyone laughs at but costs me £8 a month with Virgin. It's getting to the point where for the sake of my street cred I really need an iphone or similar but I worry that I spend enough time on T'internet when I'm at home so gawd only know's what I would be like with an iphone clamped on my hip. I might even be tempted to spend my holidays glued to FB which is a bit of a worry because I don't know if I have the willpower to keep it turned off. :D

So anyway my upgrade is due over the next couple months & through my letter box this week comes a letter from virgin offering me a Samsung galaxy Ace plus :que with unlimed data & texts + 2500 minutes ( I would never use that lot in a zillion years) for £23 a month .. they don't do iphones so if I want one of those I would need to change my provider. Does anyone have any comment even if it's to tell me that phone is a bucket of poo.
I have the Samsung Galaxy Ace on pay as you go. I spend approx 10 EUR a month on calls and texts.

I only browse the internet on WiFi and mainly use it to upload my photos while I'm out and about to Flickr or Facebook. But it's good to be able to keep an eye on sales from my website if I'm away from home for a day or two.

For any time longer than that - I take my Dell Mini laptop...

This is my first smartphone and I must say, I'm very much hooked on it.
lynwestie wrote:
I still have a 19.99 cheap nokia that everyone laughs at but costs me £8 a month with Virgin. It's getting to the point where for the sake of my street cred I really need an iphone or similar but I worry that I spend enough time on T'internet when I'm at home so gawd only know's what I would be like with an iphone clamped on my hip. I might even be tempted to spend my holidays glued to FB which is a bit of a worry because I don't know if I have the willpower to keep it turned off. :D

So anyway my upgrade is due over the next couple months & through my letter box this week comes a letter from virgin offering me a Samsung galaxy Ace plus :que with unlimed data & texts + 2500 minutes ( I would never use that lot in a zillion years) for £23 a month .. they don't do iphones so if I want one of those I would need to change my provider. Does anyone have any comment even if it's to tell me that phone is a bucket of poo.

My hubby has my old £15 Nokia. It's got an excellent battery life and does all he needs it to do ie make/receive calls and send the odd text. It's outlived all his countless other phones (hence him snitching it from me).

I too got the garb Lyn from Virgin with my recent bill. Normally I chuck all the gubbins out but this time, for some reason, I hung onto it :think
I don't know if I could trawl the internet on a phone tbh, it takes me all my time to get used to the small screen on my IPad :rofl
What's the screen like on it Chelle..Same sort of size as an iphone and is it simple to use ??

too got the garb Lyn from Virgin with my recent bill. Normally I chuck all the gubbins out but this time, for some reason, I hung onto it

Hmm same reason this letter is still sitting here in front of me Glynis .I think someone is trying to tell us something . :rofl
im on gif gaf last month my goody bag cost £10 for unlimited internet [which i use a lot] thousands of text [i have nevr sent one in my life and around 300 mins to land lines and other gif gaf [it expires today with 250 unused minuets ]
for my normal job i use the maps and internet regularly and tried the sat nave a couple of times [but im not a normal sat nave user] i got the Y with fast chip but i now wish i went for one with a bigger screen
I got the iPhone 5 the other week its great!

Although if you compare the spec it isnt much better than the 4S but the improvements to the screen and size of phone are awesome. I would def recommend getting one!

Looked at Samsungs but never got on with the UI, but thats just my own opinion of course! :)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.