Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
Generally I am polite about it, especially with the newer Inflight mode facilities although I do draw their attention to the paragraph in the safety briefing that states "even those in an inflight mode facility"

The second time or if they start thinking I know nothing or they know better I just reply.. "untill sony ericson/nokia start making Planes and Boeing mobile phones, that is staying off... "

never had an argument!
I like your reply!! Will have to try that on my next flight!
To be honest I just dont get this needing your phone on/in flight mode whilst flying. I think safety is parmount, and anybody can live without their mobile phone switched 'on' for a few hours. All they do is pick up any messages when they land. I was at the theatre the other night, at least four mobiles in my earshot went off... personally I think its pretty disrespectful.
One wonders how some people managed before mobile phones! Not that long ago either.

Mobiles on an aircraft are a definate no no in my mind. They are bad enough in the supermarket with people trying to chat and also do the shopping at the same time!

I also think it is very impolite to have your mobile on whilst at the theatre.

Pippa
I also think it is very impolite to have your mobile on whilst at the theatre.

impolite :rofl Its Down Right Rude :think

also using them on busses/coaches & Trains :duh
Straying a little :offtop but does anybody know where I can get hold of a mobile phone jammer in the UK? I have seen pictures of phone-sized ones that kill the signal for some 30m around.

Cheers,
Jet

P.S.
I am aware that it is illegal to use one in the UK.
As you say Jet, that it is a little :offtop and it's probably best that we don't stray any further in that direction. :wink
David :wave
Flybe allow you to use flight safe mode...not that I do I'd rather look out the window
Going back to what Jet said (and getting it back onto topic- sort off).

I'm aware of the army and police using such devices when dealing with suspect pacakges etc. but wasn't aware they were available to all and sundry.

Now, my travel related question.

If mobile phones can interfere with aircraft systems because they are in a similar frequency band and these things really can jam phone frequencies for that range what effect would it have on a plane if someone took one on board and used it???? Now I'm scaring myself...........
steve8482,

Have a look at my post on the previous page about the possible consequences. This is from an active airline pilot reporting what happened when he was on approach.

Darren
darren

i thought you'd know something! I've seen your info about what happened because of the "minor" interference from a phone but if these new devices can completely jam the frequencies would it affect the plane significantly more badly? Alternatively, if they won't cause a problem for the plane then maybe the captain should have one!

steve
steve8482,

The way I understand it, the devices which are being fitted to aircraft such as OnAir (Air France and others) doesn't block any emissions from mobile phones, it just ensures they are at a low power setting. The transmissions are then sent via a transceiver fitted to the aircraft in much the same was as satelite phones do (also fitted to many aircraft). Mobile phones emit radio waves at a variable strength depending on the distance from a base station. The further away and therefore the weeker the signal, the more power and stronger the emission from the phone is. This is particularly relevant to aircraft as you are generally a long way from base stations so emissions are at their highest. The device fitted to aircraft ensures phones use minimal power. For a more technical explanation, click here. This has been found not to cause any significant interference with aircraft systems, hence their introduction. Aircraft are fitted with quite suffisticated communication systems so flight crew don't need a phone normally. They still have them for use on the ground though!

Darren
The use of mobile phones on board aircraft flying within European airspace is now being backed by the European Commission .... click here for full story.

David :wave
Nooooooooooooooooooo

Thats just downright horrible.
I go away to get away from the morons that insist on using phones all the time.

:cry
darren

you've misunderstood....

I was asking about the mobile phone JAMMERS that jetnoise had mentioned.

Steve
No no no no!! I hate mobile phones (call me a hypocrite, yes I have one) I detest people on transport talking at twice their normal volume so we can all hear their conversation.
steve8482,

:whoops sorry about that!! Can't say I know anything about phone jammers. They aren't in operation on aircraft, in europe at least (probably worldwide).

Darren
Is there any airlines that are NOT allowing mobiles on board?I lost my temper last week on a metro train when I was sat next to someone having a loud conversation into their mobile phone(and my ear!). :yikes I think air rage will be on the increase. :rofl
Jay Trip,

up until the doors closing, most airlines will allow mobiles to be used (there are exceptions). Once the doors are closed, there are only a couple of airlines that have the technology for using mobiles inflight, eg Air France and Emirates. Others will no doubt follow soon. It's unlikely the charter operators will install the system, but you never know.

The days of a peaceful flight are numbered!

Darren
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.