Flight Only / Airline and Airports

Discussions relating to flight only, airlines and airports.
great, you save up all year round and then you get some inconsiderate prat playing about with there mobile phone for 4 hrs
I've used my mobile on buses and trains before now. I've always made sure that I've ket voice low so as not to annoy others. I've only ever been told off for using hone on a bus once and that was a couple of senior citizens back in 1999 who didn't like me using mine on a Travel West Midlands bus. Last time I was on one, I think it said that mobiles are not to be used on their buses but personal audio is ok with headphones.
i dont want to use my mobile phone as a phone but i do use it as an mp3 player and have all my music on it ,can i use it on a plane in its plane mode
thanks peta
if you had read back through this topic you will find the full answer,, depending on the airline you may..BUT on most airlines NO
Ofcom gives green light to mobiles on flights

The use of mobile phones in the sky has moved a step closer after communications watchdog Ofcom gave it the all-clear.

Ofcom has licensed the use of mobiles on flights but has also warned passengers they will face unexpectedly high bills and added that it would ensure customers understood the full costs.

Opponents of their use have warned that passengers talking on phones will annoy others and possibly cause air rage, and these concerns were noted by Ofcom. It added that security clearance for the use of phones would also be required as they are capable of triggering a bomb explosion.

Several airlines, including Ryanair, are keen to allow customers to make calls and text in the air.

Following the Ofcom ruling, the use of mobile phones on flights still requires approval from several bodies, including the European Commission and the Civil Aviation Authority.

With permission from Travelmole
Phone causes jet to change course

A jumbo jet changed direction because of interference from a passenger's mobile phone, air safety officials have told The Scotsman.

The revelation came as the Civil Aviation Authority (CAA) attempted to avert a surge of air rage incidents involving mobiles by warning holidaymakers that most airlines do not yet permit their use in flight .... click here for full story.

With permission from The Scotsman, 17 July 2009
hand held games/laptops/mp3 players cd players are all allowed provided they do not transmit a radio signal so for example laptops must have the wireless card disabled, oh and none of these are to be used during take off and landing

wizard
butch77,

Yes they are but you must disable the WiFi function and they can only be used in the cruise, ie not at take off or landing or when instructed not to do so by cabin crew (pretty much whenever seat belt signs are off).

Darren
Eeek :yikes As a nervous flyer, it's worrying that a few stupid people could be putting the lives of people at risk because they can't go a few hours without their gadgets. :que
hi can you have mobile fone switched on on the plane
ty
Thomas Cook wouldnt allow my husband to listen to music on his phone ,so I doubt they will allow you to text or phone someone.
they ask that phones are switched off or on flight mode but some airlines ask that they are switched off. Saying that, the amount of people I see on their phones texting or on facebook is amazing even when they are asked not too!
bestfriend22uk,

I've moved your topic to the Flights Forum. It depends on the airline you are travelling with and whether your phone has a flight same mode. A standard mobile phone isn't permitted to be active on an aircraft unless it has a mobile communications system fitted such as OnAir. Most airlines do not have this fitted, and of those that do, on trial aircraft only. If you have a flight safe mode, many airlines still don't allow phones to be switched on in flight safe mode, but that depends on who you are flying with. It's vitally important phones are not active on aircraft are there is strong evidence they interfere with aircraft systems. The rules are there for a good reason.

Darren
^ I know flying is really safe but when I see someone on a phone I get a little freaked out.

A few years back the man sat next to me said 'och why do I need to turn my phone off' I went white as a sheet. I had to ask the steward to ask him to turn it off.

Helen
We have another mobile phone on aircraft topic with lots more information and examples of the reasons why they shouldn't be used in flight: Mobile Phones onboard planes. This includes comments from a commercial pilot who had an incident, thought to have been caused by a mobilie phone inflight on page 2.

Darren
[/^ I know flying is really safe but when I see someone on a phone I get a little freaked out.

A few years back the man sat next to me said 'och why do I need to turn my phone off' I went white as a sheet. I had to ask the steward to ask him to turn it off.

Helen
quote]

Same here Helen, there was a guy in the next row from us who was texting before take off, I felt uneasy but luckily he turned it off when cabin crew instructed everyone to do so. I don't know why they don't confiscate everyone's phone before they get on the plane, surely people can do without their phone for a few hours? :que
I don't understand why theres a need to have mobile phones turned on? Your signal will go as soon as you take off anyway and won't return till touch down in your destination!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.