Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Re: Monarch
35 Posts
I've also had the misfortune of witnessing some unacceptable behaviour on a few flights which have all been to Goa. Two fights, where the people concerned had to be restrained. Quite scary when it just flares up near to where you are sitting. I've also been near a couple who were very drunk before the flight had even taken off and were arguing across the aisle. He ended up wanting to get off the plane and was shouting for his passport and money. He had to be calmed down by the stewardess and had to be moved to another seat at the front of the plane away from his partner. He thankfully didn't cause any more trouble. I always wondered what had happened to them, were they still together etc, etc, when low and behold my question was answered. I check in last year at Manchester and see them in the queue! They then sit at the side of us in the bar and have seats at the side of us on the plane. You can no doubt guess the rest.......arguing, shouting, very bad language - all very embarrassing and upsetting when you're a nervous flyer like myself.
Not Monarchs fault they handled the situations very well and the staff have always been good. Leg room has got better and makes for a more comfortable trip. I've had many a Monarch plane get me to Goa safely and I'll continue to use them.

Now who mentioned that pasty.................. :yuck
10 out of 11 seasons with Monarch now, and nothing to be too picky about (breakfast is naff on the return leg, if your expecting something hot - you get museli bars and jam and bread).
Flew non-stop last season for the 1st time and it seemed a very quick 9 hours out - 11 hours back in though..
Miss the stop off at Bahrain though, and the Sky light Bar.
Hi Spike,

We are flying from Gatwick to Goa next week, with Monarch, does the flight stop to refuel often, I didn't realise this, if so can u get off the plane for a walk about or a drink ? :whoops

Kind Regards

Kelly :tongue
Kelly
which flight are you on?

MON2490 from Gatwick on Saturdays is a non-stop flight (barring any emergencies of course).

We've flown on this flight 6 times and never had to stop.
Prettypollycat wrote:
Kelly
which flight are you on?

Thank you for your reply :D

MON2490 from Gatwick on Saturdays is a non-stop flight (barring any emergencies of course).

We've flown on this flight 6 times and never had to stop.

Our flight is on Thursday MON4372.

Does that mean we will have to stop over :que

Kelly
Kelly thats the same flight we are on the week after you i thought we were nonstop to Goa from Gatwick the flight is 9hrs and 40mins...
Our flight is on Thursday MON4372.

Does that mean we will have to stop over

Kelly

Kelly, I have no idea, but from what sleep_r_us says about the flight time, it doesn't sound like it stops to refuel.
If you want to be sure, ask the question on the Monarch thread in the 'Flight only' section here:
http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=59702&start=1560

You'll get a reply very quickly.
A while ago when we were looking at holidays through Jewel in the Crown, I emailed them to ask whether the Monarch Thursday and Saturday flights were direct, I received a reply telling me that all their flights are direct.
Sydney - ALL charter flights to Goa are direct, but not necessarily all are non-stop.
See the difference below:

nightnurse - just be aware:
You're expecting a NON-STOP flight, not direct.

A direct flight is one that takes off and stops en-route, maybe to pick up/drop off passengers e.g. leaves Gatwick and picks up more passengers in Gatwick or a flight that stops en-route to refuel.

A non-stop flight is exactly that - it takes off from your departure airport and doesn't stop until you reach your destination.

So a Monarch flight could start in Gatwick, stop in Glasgow to pick up additional passengers then stop in Bahrain to refuel - BUT if you don't change planes, it's still called a direct flight - but it's obviously not non-stop - which I guess is what you were asking J-i-t-C to confirm.
We have only flown with Monarch once & to be fair they are OK. Yes the stop off in Bahrain was a pain, but not as annoying as our last Goa flight which was with First Choice. We got a letter a couple of months before our departure telling us we where flying via Gatwick to collect & drop off Gatwick passengers. We had to stay on the plane & got a cup of orange juice & a 2 hour visit to Gatwick both directions!

As many have said, it gets you there & that's ultimately all you need :cheers
Has anyone flown with Monarch from Manchester on the Friday flight (4.15 pm) ?
I am just wondering how it was comfort wise
I have not flown with Monarch for quite a few years and have had a few problems in the past as they have not been the most comfortable, so I just wondered how things were now with the comfort on the plane, the food and also the entertainment
I am flying out with them on Christmas Eve - any info greatly appreciated

:sun2
bluehairydog, we also fly from Manchester on a Friday at the same time as you, but we dont go till the 14th Jan, but after posting this our friends rang Monarch and they said that the flight does not stop off anywhere, and it is non stop to Goa.
I spoke to a friend who arrived in goa yesterday on this flight and they did stop in Bahrain on the way here.Their original plane was swapped for a smaller one (prob because of the weather problems)and as it was an unscheduled stop in Bahrain they were not allowed off the aircraft.

John
We travel on this flight on Friday. We are supposed to be going non-stop. We have had the same flight for the past few years. Last year was the first time we travelled non-stop. It was much better. We did think there was more leg room too. We have travelled with Monarch for the last 8 years or more and have never had any problems. I know a lot of people don't like Monarch and I think this is because of the leg room but we aren't that tall so it is fine for us. Cabin service has always been good and they are always willing to bring you another drink when you ask. Have a great time, may see you at the meet up.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.