Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
Monarch
35 Posts
My opinion on Monarch:

Monarch flights are as bad as you want to think they are.

You don't have seat back TVs and the legroom is less than other long haul charter airlines.

Neither of us are overly large or tall and we find the flights OK but lots of people don't.
Once I've been fed & watered, I go to sleep so lack of/poor entertainment isn't a problem for me.
OH listens to music.

The food isn't great but is included with the price of our holiday.

We've always found cabin crew to be OK.
We found Monarch okay. Admitted, you don't have the t.v in the seat, but the food was good , service excellent! It wouldn't bother me to fly with them again. As long as they get you there and get you back in one piece, i wouldn't worry!! Enjoy your holiday! :tup
thanks for the replies, i also agree that im not one for entertainment on flights, so long as ive got my ipod and my hubby at my side (put my legs/head on) im fine. Also not interested in the food. xxxx
Nightnurse
I'd strongly recommend that you say 'NO' to the pasty that they serve on the inbound flight.

They are supposed to be cheese and (imho) constitute a blatent disregard for trades description.

I email Monarch every time we fly to Goa to tell them their supplier is rubbish.
Hi all :wave:
i cannot believe how anyone can eat, let alone say they enjoy "food" that is served onboard.
You must be either "starving", or have not taste buds left... :rofl
I bet the stray dogs on Calangute beach would turn their noses up at it. :rofl
Come on, its a flight...ok a 10-hour one but at least you get to Goa! I've flown with Monarch and although it's not brilliant, it's a charter flight with no frills....but it gets you there!

I'm flying with them again next March as they're the only ones not to change the flight times that suit me perfectly.
Have to agree with PPC and GG, we have flown with them for the last 12 trips and have had no problems. I think the problem probably is with tall people and the lack of leg room but this doesn't apply to us, we did think last year that there seemed to be more leg room than normal, don't know whether that was our imagination. After a few drinks all I do is sleep anyway, although I appreciate that is a problem for some people too.
We used to use them and suffer with the legroom as we are both above average height. The final straw was when my wife had knee replacement surgery and we gave up on it. Sods Law also means if you are struggling with the leg room, you can guarantee that the person in front, regardless whether its a day or night flight, will immediatley after take off, fully recline their seat, and unless told to return to the upright bu the staff during the meal service, thats how it will stay for the duration of the flight.
Alan
Been 4 times and found them just ok apart from the last time when we had the dreaded re fuel and I vowed never ever again would I fly with them 12 hours cramped up in a seat was too much for me I`m afraid. Thomas Cook airlines this time, found them great to Dominican earlier this year.
There's only one thing worse than the reclining seat maniac in front and that is a someone's little darling behind you constantly kicking the seat and pulling your hair out of your head by constantly grabbing the top of your seat.
Oh I hate that 'twang' as people heave themselves out of their seats using your headrest as leverage :duh
Thanks for all the replies, feelthevibe you mentioned stopping for re fuel? :really , i was told this was a direct flight from Manchester, i will call Jewel in the Crown and recheck.
Very often in Feb. & March their are pretty strong headwinds, and especially Manchester flights have to refuel on the return leg. Once with Monarch in March, with a full plane we had to stop at Barhain, and again at Cyprus to top up !
Alan
nightnurse - just be aware:
You're expecting a NON-STOP flight, not direct.

A direct flight is one that takes off and stops en-route, maybe to pick up/drop off passengers e.g. leaves Gatwick and picks up more passengers in Gatwick or a flight that stops en-route to refuel.

A non-stop flight is exactly that - it takes off from your departure airport and doesn't stop until you reach your destination.
We were supposed to stop in Bahrain in March 2009 but it was closed for runway work so we stopped in Cyprus and were not allowed off the plane as I believe you are in Bahrain.
HaHa BrenLiz - wots the problem with a few drinks and then sleeping ---- unless you snore of course!! :rofl
No I don't snore, at least no one as ever told me so! Last year we flew direct from Manchester and didn't stop in Bahrain which was much better, I think we fly direct again this year with Monarch.
Had a couple of nightmares with Monarch. Once there was a fight on board so had to stop in Budapest for the police to eject the thugs. We did end up refuelling there though so didnt have to stop in Bahrain and on the way back we had engine problems in Bahrain and ended up staying there for 2 days. I didnt mind the delay on the way back as we were put into a nice hotel and didnt have to be back at work straight away but it was an inconvenience for a lot of the passengers

I suppose the fight was not Monarchs fault though.

Flying Monarch this New Year so hopefully it will be OK this time. Fingers crossed
Hullsmoggy i'm glad your not on my flight have you got number 13 on your back..
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.