Goa Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Goa.
MONEY
20 Posts
Split, Where did you get that avator? :lol: I was trying to wipe that pesky insect off my monitor!!!!!!!
allanmarian

Split, Where did you get that avator? I was trying to wipe that pesky insect off my monitor!!!!!!!

I keep squashing it on the screen,but seems to always be there when i turn the computer back on,think it lives inside somewhere :lol: :lol:
My other half is taking his nationwide card with him to draw out money, i know where theres a cash machine, near the log cabin, but hes worried about the safety of doing it. Hes never been to Goa before, and because its a third world country, he thinks that his card will be cloned, and someone will wipe out his entire wage.
I keep reassuring him that plenty of people draw out money in Goa, and everythings fine, just to inform his bank before we go
I have some rupees from when my father was last there (15/20 yrs) has the rupee 'changed' in this time, do you think it is still valid?
Thanks
Saggy
Saggy I doubt very much if you can still use them, they change from year to year,

Yummymummy, I have always used my cards in the ATM's I have never had a problem, funnily enough my card has been cloned twice in the past six months, each time because I used a DIY petrol pump in this country.
Saggy, they wont be valid. Have used ATMs many times in Goa, never had a problem. Tony :wink:
So not even worth giving them to a charity :cry:
We are going to use our Nationwide Flex Account card whilst in Goa to withdraw our cash. Does anyone know if you lift money at the cash machine using your Nationwide card if you get the same rate as you would by changing British money at the exchange places?
Gemma

We find you get a slightly better rate at the ATM with your Nationwide card

Steve
Thanks Steve thats brilliant. I thought it would be at least the same rate, but its good to have it confirmed.
Thanks for your help :D
Gemma the coffee drinker :roll: You will get a better rate changing cash over there rather than the exchange rate the bank will convert to :wink:
funnily enough that is not always the case. For instance I use Amex in a lot of places and the exchange rate they give is almost always better than I've managed to get in resort. However, I have no idea about Nationwide and Goa :lol:
I am confused now :hmmm and being blonde as well, thats not a good combination :lol: So is it best to use the flex account Nationwide card like Samtheboater says or take cash and change it at the exchange places?
Gemma, we used an internet cafe in Colva to exchange cash, it beat everywhere we looked at by at least 2rps per pound, when your changing something like £100 that equates to a lot over there, approx 30 coffees in your case :lol:
How many bacardi breezers Tony, just in case I have the odd refreshment now and again, just to be sociable of course :lol: :shock:
We normally take cash with us and just change into rupees as we go along, but this time we thought we would put all the money in the Nationwide flex account but no point doing that if its not going to be such a good exhcange rate, I mean I might get thirsty and fancy a small .... coffee :glynis
Saggy, here is what I posted last year about rupees :

I was given some by my father in law, he has given me quite a few 50 rupee notes. However, the last time he was out there was the late 80's early 90's. A friend that has been recently said they look much different to the 50 rupee notes now. Do you think they will still be usable?

Edit ~ Ive just looked at them, they havent got Ghandi on. They have 3 lions where he should be.

I took the chance and took them with me, had no problem spending them :)
Gemma

We monitored our exchange rates using the Nationwide over 2 years and the rate has always been better than any of the rates advertised in Candolim / Calangute. But has to be Nationbwide because they don't charge commission.

Steve
Steve, what was the difference then roughly between shop prices on the street in Goa and what you got using your Nationwide card?

And was this both withdrawing money and also using your card to purchase items?
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.