Spain - Canary Islands - Fuerteventura Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Fuerteventura.
drinks very good. self service lager at the pool bar. special childrens cocktales if you havr kids. food good if you are willing to try dif things. went there last aug had brill holiday. mainly germans but they where all very nice
Hi Buddy and greetings from a fellow Manc.
We had two weeks just after Christmas AI at the Monica Beach. Hotel was of a good standard and the food and cleanliness were good. Staff very friendly, except one lady on Reception who had no time for the English. Note that this is a mostly German Hotel (around 85%). Only tour company in UK to do this Hotel as far as I know is My Travel.
Entertainment in the Hotel is not too clever, bingo!!! in three languages, German Spanish and then English!, the animation team try very hard and seem to organise a good kids club and kiddies disco (early), they also do a few live shows such as Cats and Starlight Express and then every night there is a Disco till around 1.00, problem with this room is there is no airconditioning and it gets very very smokey, obviously no good for non-smokers. There is also another bar the other side of the complex nearer to the small pool, this is a quite but very well patronised lounge bar with taped music.

The drinks in the bars are okay, the beer is a good quality - Tropical I think, although pulled from a Dorada pump the actual barrels had Tropical on them. You help yourself to the beers, coffees, ice creams, and soft drinks during the day at the pool bar and in the resturant help yourself to Beers and wines also, the white wine is okay but could do with chilling off a little bit more, out of a barrel so that is maybe why. Food is International, but always to English tastes but there is nearly always something for everyone. We tended to eat out if there was nothing we fancied.

Both pools and gardens are kept immaculate, smaller pool seemed to be the one most of the English went to, you had to set the clock to get the towels on the main pool beds at the crack of dawn!!!!! and this was winter season!! There are however many, many beds and a fair few in the shade if needed, getting a bed in the shade could be a problem in the summer months, but the beach is right on the doorstep so this is always an option, be warned though that it is not a private beach and the sunbeds will have to be rented - think it was around 7 euros for two beds and an embrella. Children should have great fun hunting for the chipmonks which populate the areas amongst the dunes to the rear of the beach, they are very tame and can be hand fed with crisps etc. Look a little like a small squirel. Be warned however that the rear of the beach amongst the dunes is also where a lot of the naturists go for a bit of privacy!!!
The island is fairly popular with nudists and all along this stretch of beach, are a fair number of 'bare bums' and the rest!!! Not a pretty sight when it is twenty + stone German.

Costa Calma resort is quite or certainly was early January. Not a great deal to do at night if you want to escape from the Hotel, there is a good Chinese about ten mins walk - turn left out of the Hotel and walk up till you come to a small commercial centre on the left at a road junction the Chinese is in here, the portions are huge - so be warned! There is also a another good Spanish Bodega serving a real mean Sangria( :roll: ) and good food in the opposite direction, about five mins walk to the right out of the Hotel, inside the small commercial centre opposite the police station. They also do a nice Steak here, and play Spanish Guitar music most nights. The Hotel to the left of Monica Beach is 5 star ....Costa Calma Palace I think it was called, fountains and water falls all the way up the drive way and lovely inside - worth a look round if nothing else!
Hope this helps
Heather
We stayed at the Monica Beach in October 2003. The weather was fantastic except for the last full day when it rained so much the electricity went out during the evening entertainment and remained out for about four hours (despite the 4 star hotel next door lighting up like a Christmas tree again after only about five minutes).
We found the food to be pretty good, nothing exceptional but similar buffet style to every other 3* all incs in the canaries. They do do gorgeous cheese and bacon rolls around the pool bars at certain times during the day as well as hot dogs etc. Drinks were very nice, they made something out of brandy and chocolate milk (I think they called it a la mamba) that was just toooo nice to drink all day in the hot sun.
If you have kids (or even if you don't) they have two water slides around the tobogan bar which we didn't know about untill we got there but had great fun on them. We sat around the tobogan bar pool every day because it seemed to be the only bit that was still holding its own from the German occupation of southern fuertaventura.
Don't take this the wrong way because I speak German, have German friends and even work for a German company but the Monica Beach (and the whole of southern fuertaventura) is so geared up for the Germans that you really start to feel a bit second class. This isn't the fault of the German's though, we met and made friends with plenty and because I spoke German to them they were great with us (a guy named Manfred even left us two airbeds he had never used). The problem is with the mentality of some (not all) of the Hotel staff. We experienced being ignored at reception if there were Germans there also, we saw English pensioners struggling with cases whilst staff fell over themselves to carry German's cases and we also found that although you were welcomed once you were in you really had to be pushy to be included in the daytime activities (this may be due to the fact that the entertainers just go round the main pool asking who wants to go shooting etc and nearly all the English sit round the tobogan pool and bar). We heard that the reason for the German bias is that until a couple of years ago the hotel was only for German guests and it has only been since the German economy has been doing badly and they can't fill the hotel that they openend it up to English tour operators. This explains why not all the staff speak English. We did find one member of staff however who loved the English and was fantastic with our 2 year old son, his name is "Karim" and he always worked on the Tobogan bar when we were there.
If you turn right along the beach and walk for about a mile you will come to some cliffs that have chipmunks living on them, we had great fun taking peanuts for them which they will eat out of your hand. To get here though you have to walk past a few nudist beaches and some of the specimens you see make you wonder why people want to take all their clothes off in public!
All in all we had a good time, the hotel was clean, food was decent, drinks were very good, water slides were great and if the German/English mix was more 50/50 instead of 90/10 then would probably have enjoyed it even more.

Hope this helps,

Steven, Sharon and Thomas Park (27,28,2)
You can read/write reviews of this hotel at Monica Beach Hotel reviews

luci :wave
Can anyone advise as to whether the pool at Monica Beach is heated in the winter? We want to go to the canaries for xmas 2005 but after spending one xmas in Tenerife without swimming, because the pool was so cold, we don't want the same again.
Any other suggestions for an all inclusive hotel with heated pools would be appreciated. (We are taking a 12 year old with us) 8)
:lol: Hi, This hotel has Excellent reviews but I can't find anything weather or not if the pool is heated, I know some are from October through to April, Oasis Papagayo in Corralejo is one of them, Hope this helps? maybe just a little.
Off to the Monica Beach next week for 2 weeks anyone else going as i've read it's mainly Germans and thought it would be nice to know if anyother Brits will be there. Most write up's i've read have been good, some bad but minly good.
Anyone off to the Monica Beach Fuerteventura next week 3rd Aug?
Hi,

We came back 1st June - we didnt have a very pleasant stay - but maybe it was because it was not high season.

The night before we left they brought in a new entertainment team - which was badly needed as it had been terrible.

The food was ok in the restaurant but the snacks were poor and when we were there the snacks stopped at 6pm - may have extended now its peak time - and we were on the 6pm dinner sitting which meant that we were often peckish at supper time and so we bought our own snacks.The hotel does not have a shop and they dont sell any crisps/choc/lollies/fruit etc for the kids but the shop is round the corner about a 10mins stroll.

Our room was in the main buliding and it was very poor - we moved to another room which was better this was in the apartments near to the slide pool.

The water in the pools was very cold and we didnt have hot water for showers but we later found out from our letter from Airtours that all the heating is solar powered and as it was cloudy it didnt work.

The games room was in need of repair - all the games were out of order except the mini airplane - we took photos to prove this all had out of order stickers on them.

The two tvs in the bottom of reception were not working either - which was only poor because our tv in the room was not working and we couldnt watch the football!!

We made our complaint in resort - but didnt let it ruin our holiday and followed up with a letter and several photos on return - we had a letter from Airtours saying they were really sorry about the standard of accomodation etc and gave us £250.

The staff are hard working and really polite.

The beach is brilliant - just remember to take lots of drinks down there - and you can buy a three day windsurfing course which is really good fun.

Joolz :wink:
Hi,we've booked to go to the monica beach hotel in december,but as always i've had a look at some hotel reviews and the 99% for this hotel are horrendous!

Has anyone been there? Is it really all that bad?

Please help me. Thanks X

It's ok,no need to bother with any advice,we've decided not to go to this hotel as it has far too many bad reports,so we're off to another istead.
Many thanks thought.
X
Just booked this hotel for January 08. Unfortunately, it wasn't our first choice of hotel, this being the San Jorge in Costa Caleta, but we were told it was booked up :(

Has anyone been to the Monica Beach Hotel recently? I would be grateful for any information about it. We are taking our 2 teenage girls - is there much for them to do either at the hotel or in the surrounding area. Is the hotel close to the shops and bars?

Thank you for any information.

Jane
Anyone wishing to post a review may do so HERE.

Pippy :D
Just returned from the Monica Beach Hotel and had a great time. After all the negative reviews we'd read, we were a bit worried, but when we arrived we were pleasantly surprised.

The hotel is in a great position on the beach and the room we had was very big and had a great view of the pool and sea.

We went all inclusive and the food was plentiful and we always found something to eat. Plenty of drink too :D. The hotel is clean, but could do with a bit of redecorating.

Overall we had a lovely holiday and would recommend this hotel.

Jane
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.