Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
They tend to chomp on me whatever month i go... im sure they are waiting for me at the airport!
just make sure you have a good mozzie repellent, and they shouldnt bother you.... too much!

clare.
They also love me but this year I have a fantastic little gadget. It is charged up in the sun and then when you switch it on it makes the sound (you can hardly hear it) of a male mosie. Now apparently the ones that do the biting are the pregnant females and they don't want the males anywhere near them when they are pregnant. So they think I'm a male mosie and stay away - brill. I bought it on a BA flight and my hubbie was very sceptical but I used it in Turkey last week and I could see the little blighters around and not one of them bit me - so no nasty creams and sprays I just clip it on my bag. They say it gives protection for 4m.
Well me needs to get one of them then :)
I am very lucky that I dont get bitten but am always sprayed top-toe in everything. Avoid dark dingy corners in restaurants/bars especally if they have water near the tables. My friend got ravaged sitting next to a water fountain in one of the bars
I found the beat thing to repel mosquitos is a cream called Off, you can buy it over there in the local supermarkeyts and it isn't like those sticky, smelly sprays, it actually smells quit pleasant and it works very well. Lemon cologne is very good too.
The trouble with most of those creams and sprays is that they contain DEET. Some scientists claim it is safe and others say it is can cause cancer. I wouldn't mind betting that those who say it is safe work for the companies that produce it. I've never been happy using them but it was that or the bites and I had to apply it just about everywhere to avoid being bitten. The lemon cologne works for me sometimes. However this is the first holiday ever in Turkey where I've returned without any bites at all so I'm really pleased with the little machine and of course you can put it by your bed at night eliminating the need for the plug in things. I think it cost about £12.
i read somewhere that a samll spoonful of marmite a day ( eaten) keeps them away? anyone else heard this?
i'm worried about mozzies too as my husband & daughter have been bitten to death by big mozzies here already! :(
I've heard the same about Marmite but hate it!! Actually I'm a magnet for mozzies but a few years ago I got given this tip and it's worked for me and the rest of the family. For one week before we go away, and all the time we are away, we take one vitamin B1 tablet and one odourless garlic capsule each evening (apparently mozzies hate the smell of garlic and yeast [which explains the Marmite, B1 has the same smell]). We also use the Avon Skin So Soft dry oil spray (the one in the green bottle) which I am told the US army use when in the jungle.

We tried deet once - it melted the leather on our shoes so *** only knows what it was doing to our skin!!!

We also use the lemon cologne during the evening if the mozzuies are extra bad - and it smells lovely and cools you down as well.

Whatever you use, I hope it works for you.

JAKKI
One "remedy" many swear by is buying some odourless garlic tablets back home and start taking daily a week to 10 days before you go on holiday. As someone the mossies usually chomp on all the time i took last year and wasn't bitten at all last year in Turkey so will be doing same again this year.

Had forgot and away in 3 weeks so thanks for the reminder!!
You will be fine Chris they only go for sweet blooded people, kelly and Mol you beware they will eat you alive xxx :rofl :sun2 :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.