General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
i think mine was the look on my 6yr old nephew's face in euro disney when micky mouse tapped him on the shoulder
will stay with me for the rest of my life
and he is 22 now
The Sagrada Familia in Barcelona, absolutely beautiful
Watching the sun go down on the beach in San Antonia Ibiza while music played in the background. Hundreds of people there, including lots of families. Hubby didn't think it would be anything special, but even he was impressed. Karen
Hoping my most breathtaking sights are in the near future, really want to see the Taj mahal and we are off to Luang Prabang in Laos soon and I am looking forward to getting up at the crack of dawn to watch hundreds of saffron robed buddhist monks line the streets with their alms bowls to be given gifts of food etc..
  • Edited by shirleyV 2007-06-24 15:41:48
Shirley
I hope you are going to give us a trip report about Laos, I'm hoping to visit there next winter.
If you get to India try and visit the Taj Mahal twice, it looks totally different at sunset, almost pink.
Driving through the Dolomites.
Turning the corner and seeing the Trevi fountain.
Looking out our hotel room window at sunset and seeing Capri to the left and Vesuvius to the right.
Pompeii.
But best of all is seeing bonny Scotland from the air when we come home. :fly
will definately do my trip report on Laos in the Far East forum , as for the Taj Mahal , I don't know when we will go but it is the No.1 on my wish list, hubby had his no.1 on wish list twice , that was the empire state building so I think it's my turn soon. :)
Mine was on a trip to South Africa. We were travelling from Bredasdorp near the tip of Africa to a place called Franschoek. The weather was dull and drizzly, the scenery was boring. We had to come up a pass over some mountains with no view at all until we crested the pass.

I couldnt believe my eyes, below us was the Franschoek valley. It was breathtaking The sun was shining, the sky was blue, mountains crowded on all sides. A river was running through the vineyards, the old cape dutch houses dotted here and there. It was just like the Garden of Eden!

Jilly
just reviving this one as I can now add to it after my October trip to India. The Taj Mahal. You just could stand there all day admiring it. Photos do not do it justice. We were speechless for ages. We were also fortunate to visit it at sunrise. If you get the chance to visit it- go at sunrise or sunset.
mrnkar wrote:
Watching the sun go down on the beach in San Antonia Ibiza while music played in the background. Hundreds of people there, including lots of families. Hubby didn't think it would be anything special, but even he was impressed. Karen

Oh, I'd forgot about that. We used to watch it from the old Windmill bar along in San Antonio bay, it was always full of hippies on happy baccy sitting on huge cushions on the floor :D the bairn used to throw stones in the sea, it was soo tranquil with the pan pipe music to get us chilled, along with the lager and the smell. ;)
Flying low over the Stadium of Light on the way in to Newcastle Airport after a fab holiday in Majorca!! CBG
I love to travel and seeing the reality of places you've only seen in pictures can be amazing - the sheer size of the pyramids, the canals in Venice, the caldera in Santorini, the grandeur of the Canadian Rockies and view from Charles Bridge in Prague.

Some of my most memorable moments were on my trip to New Zealand in October '06 for my special birthday. The whole place has wonderful scenery and fantastic coastline but a few moments realy stick in my memory. Getting within a few metres of a wild sea lion basking on an isolated beach. The trip down the Milford Road to Milford Sound with towering cliffs and cascading waterfalls, then the view of Mitre Peak, reflected in the water. The Doubtful Sound cruise in the isolated fiords and the "sound of silence", when they turn off the boat engines in a calm stretch of water and everyone is requested to be silent for 10 minutes - I'm not religious but it was a very magical and spiritual experience. Perhaps the most memorable of all was staying at the Wilderness Lodge in Arthur's Pass and being taken start-gazing on a clear night - we walked 10 minutes from the lodge to a spot clear of light pollution and our guide turned off his torch - wow - our first glimpse of the Southern Cross, more stars than I have ever seen and even a shooting star! I'll remember that always.
calabonagirl wrote:
Flying low over the Stadium of Light on the way in to Newcastle Airport after a fab holiday in Majorca!! CBG

Once flew above the tyne to the sea coming up to dusk, the sage, stadium of light, millenium bridge, tyne bridge, scotswood bridge, st marys lighthouse all lit up, ah home. All that was missing was Marc Knopflers Local Hero, Going Home. ;)
Coming into Symi Harbour on the ferry at dusk with all the lights coming on. Never fails.

http://www.firestation.org.uk/harboureve.jpg
Mine are- arriving at our lovely villa in Croatia, it had a lovely garden complete with tortoises and a beautiful view overlooking Cavtat bay.
Seeing the beach in Cephalonia were my fave film 'captain Correllis mandolin' was filmed.
Olu deniz lagoon, and going round it in a Paddle boat spotting turtles.
Lora Parque In tenerife- planet penguin took my breath away, absolutely amazing experience.
Closer to home,walking the dog in Bridlington from north side up to sewerby on the cliff top. Taking in the sea and Flamborough head.Its always lovely even on a grey day.
Newcastle arena, when my fave band came on stage :tup ;)
  • Edited by jackie15 2008-03-23 20:36:34
Some of the sights seen at Little Banana Beach, Skiathos, were just amazing. Some of the natural beauty, well I just couldn't take my eyes away!!!!!!!!!!! I've seen some of my worst sights there as well, people have no shame :really

Another great sight I've seen, but maybe never see again is - €1.50+ to the £, sadly perhaps lost forever :sad

Robby :wink:
robbyw wrote:
Another great sight I've seen, but maybe never see again is - €1.50+ to the £, sadly perhaps lost forever

I'm laughing out loud at that one, but how true. Doe. :rofl
Seen many, but always remember this one ... dusk approaching (along with the spring tides!!) in Venice:

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/202/482935995_56eafef90c.jpg?v=0
I have a couple.

Flying over the Angel Falls in Venezuela

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e226/staceylc76/angelfalls-1.jpg

Selingan Island in Borneo & watching a turtle laying over 150 eggs

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e226/staceylc76/n718301586_166247_4732-1.jpg

And, doing a canopy walk in Danum Valley, also in Borneo.

http://i40.photobucket.com/albums/e226/staceylc76/n718301586_166127_3164.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.