Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
....yes.....well worth it...a great day out, at minimal cost - the last time we did it the price was 10 euros.....for the two of us !, thats using the "bono card" (much easier than carrying change for bus fares ).
...left PDLA at 8.50, took a couple of hours, with one stop. A memorable ride up through the cloud layers, to the lunar landscape above.
We had plenty of time for a good walk, bus left at 4pm.
...certainly recommended !
Does the bus take you all the way to the cable car station? We went on an organised coach trip from PDLA which took us up through Vilaflor and the pine forests to Los Roques de Garcia, but as the trip didn't include a cable car ride (they can't guarantee this anyway due to weather conditions) the big rocks and view of the crater was as far as we got before going down into Orotava and Puerto de la Cruz. I'd like to do the cable car ride but as I don't drive I can't hire a car and get up there myself.
We did the trip to the cable car by TITSA bus in October last year. Like Sunowner we used the "bono card" so it's fairly cheap. The one thing to bear in mind is that there's only one bus in the morning at 8:50 and one back in the afternoon around 4pm. If you miss your return bus, you're stuffed! When we went, the cable car was closed due to high wind when we arrived and we wondered what we could do till 4pm. Luckily, it opened about 10 minutes after we arrived so did the trip up and down. We then walked from the cable car station back to the parador for some late lunch before getting the bus back. The walk took us about an hour and a half so passed a lot of the time. The trip was well worth it even if we hadn't been able to get on the cable car.
Does the bus get full? That's something my fiance's just brought up.

He's in two minds whether to do the bus or just hire a car.

We usually hire a car, but we're after a relaxing time this time, and want to do plenty of 'strolling'! The walk from PDLA to LC is lovely!
Does the bus get full? That's something my fiance's just brought up.

I went walking in Las Canadas in Feb. 2002 using the bus and it was about half an hour late arriving. The reason apparently was that there were too many people to get on at the start in Las Americas so they had put on a second bus.
I've often wondered if there are some things going on behind the scene thats preventing Titsa (the local bus company) from running more buses to Teide each day..I would say its ridiculous that they only one there and back each day..I'm sure if they ran them on a two hourly basis they would be packed..

Something going on here that's preventing them from doing so?
When we did the trip last October, the bus was only about a third full going and coming back. Not sure if the demand isn't there because there's only one bus a day. It's also quite a slow service. Maybe a lot of people think it's too much an investment of their time. We loved it, we'd do it again.
thanks for that were looking at doing the same
We've been going to PDLA for nine years and have never been up Mount Tiede, so this year I think we'll make the effort. can anyone tell me where the Titsa bus picks up in PDLA.
We picked the bus up at the PDLA bus station. If you look at http://www.titsa.com/lineas.asp?idl=342 it shows the route but doesn't give any great detail about the other stopping points. There are some downloadable maps on the same web site, they might give more info.
I know that we have talked about their website before but it does make really entertaining reading.

eg; Services...Taking a walk for ....very funny
Thanks guys!

I'll check the website when I get home from work!
Just returned from Tenerife on Tuesday 13th. While there,we waited at the bus stop on the road by Chayofa village where our apartment is as we wanted to go walking around the Vilaflor area. The bus sailed past us totally stuffed with passengers standing in the centre aisle. Ruined our plans for the day. :(
Cyberhiker.
Sorry to hear that. :roll: Have never used the buses before,but had heard they can get really crowded.
Thanks Fiona,

Generally, we find the buses really good but this is the second time we've had problems with the Teide bus.
Ok thanks :tup
If I was to use them,would just be a bit more wary of those going up to Teide then. Would be disappointing to have any of our precious time on holiday spoiled.
Going to Tenerife back end of August.

Just a few questions about Teide.

We have hired a car - roughly how long to Teide from Los Cristianos.
How far up can you get in a car.
Is it suitable for a 8 and 4 year old who don't like to do too much walking.
Is it really cold up there in August.

Thanks
I dont believe its cold at all.
You can drive it in around an hour to an hour and half.

you can drive as far as the base of teide, where you can catch a cable car ride almost to the top. As far as you can go without a permit.

you walk as little or as far as you like, you can park your car at the cable car station.

i would imagine the children would enjoy the cable car ride.

prices for ride up on cable car website http://www.telefericoteide.com
not to sure on the 4yr old, as walking round when you get to the top is a bit tricky in places, but must say well worth the drive, when you come back conntinue driving towards the north then at least you will sample driving through the pine forestand the smell of the pines is so clean and fresh, your kids will love driving through the clouds on your desent, then at the bottom just join the motorway straight back :tup
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.