General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
We did a week on Gozo and then a week on Malta one year this was an ideal combination for us as a fortnight on either would not have suited. As it was we had a brilliant holiday.

Also on two of our Florida holidays we have split our time between the Gulf coast and Orlando, once again this really worked well for us. The peace and chilled out zone of Naples contrasting with the buzz or the parcs.

I think the only downside for a lot of folks is the re-packing and moving on halfway through your holiday, it can be a bit of a chore unless you are very well organised, and some might see the day in the middle as a 'lost' day of their holiday.

Doe :wave:
I dont think i could cope with the repacking etc involved....but if i was richer I'd have a 2 week beach holiday and a few months later a two week different type holiday!
We done twin centres twice last year, as my husband likes going back to the same place so we compromised and went 1 week to my choice then back to his.

Lynn
we rarely stay anywhere for 14 days nowadays. Two summers ago we went to Antigua for a fortnight but even then we didn't stay in one place( we meant to but the first place was too quiet) Our first multi-centre was Hong Kong, Bangkok and Koh Samui- in 16 days. I remember sitting in a bar one night in Koh Samui not quite believing that we had been in Hong Kong just over a week ago. It felt like ages away. Multi centres def make the holiday seem longer. When I do 2 week beach holidays I spend the last few days thinking that its nearly time to go home. I don't have time for that in a multi centre one :)
I have loved all of my holidays( well nearly!)- beach, twin and multi centres.
Apart from the odd last minute to one of the spanish islands for a week all of my holidays are multi-centre. Some are tours that I may only have 2-3 days in each place and others I will spend maybe 5 days each in 3 or 4 different places. I'm not into beach holidays and like to be doing/seeing something new so multi centre suits me.
I love multi centre , I have done loads , some of my favouries were---- Singapore , Hong Kong , Krabi and Phuket - 15 nts

Dubai, Bangkok, Chiang Mai , Ko Samui 14 nights , Bangkok , Siem Reap , Ko Samui 12 nights,

this year I am really packing it in, Bangkok, Saigon, Phnom Penh , Bangkok 11 nights, :yikes

my friend says 'that is not a holiday , that is an endurance test :rofl

I do think the Far East is so fascinating that I could not do a 2 week holiday in 1 place there as I would be itching to go off somewhere else.
I often do twin centre, one week on land, one week on gulet. As I do the gulet second week the stuff is just chucked back into the luggage any old how cos on a gulet it doesn't matter if you are all creased.

I did an island hopping Greece holiday one year. It was a wimp's way of doing it as it was booked as a package - ie. all flights, ferries, hotels and transfers were arranged. We kind of lived out of our bags for that holiday as it was 4 islands with 1 of the islands being visited twice (at the start and at the end).

I think there is a place for them, definitely but I'm not up for anything more than twin centre at the moment, I was younger when I did the Greece thing and it was fun, it would probably irritate me now.

I think a cruise might be in the offing soon, that way you get to unpack for the whole trip but still go to loads of places.
One summer a couple of years ago we went to Lanzarote and visited Fuerteventura for the day while we were there, and then when we got home I got post-holiday blues and we set off for Tenerife for a week and visited La Gomera for the day while we were there. Not exactly a multi-centre holiday, but a fantastic taste of travelling to different places. When the kids went back to school, my son's Spanish teacher asked where everyone had been on their holidays that summer and he said he'd been to Lanzarote, Fuerteventura, Tenerife and La Gomera... she said "yes, but which island did you stay on?" and he told her we'd stayed in Lanzarote and Tenerife :lol:
It got me thinking it would be nice to do an island-hopping tour of the Canaries one summer (I work in a school and get a long summer break) and I've spent many a winter evening planning which island to fly to first, how long to stay for, which ferries to get to the other islands, which resorts would be best for connections to other islands etc.
It's something I will definitely try to do sometime in the next few years, and since that summer I've also researched multi-centre tours of the Azores - something a bit more unusual which you don't see too often in your local travel agent! Speaking of local travel agents, our Co-op Travel had a poster in the window advertising a 3-week holiday to Australia and New Zealand, something else I'd love to do!
Every one of the 20 odd holidays I've done in the Far East has been multi-centre so I kind of see the concept as pretty normal. I'm beginning to examine the concept closer to home...with all the routes the low-cost airlines operate it should be possible to throw a multi centre together quite easily - a Spanish city and an island for example.
funny you should say that sunbear. I've been doing some investigation and Far East flights can be a lot cheaper from 2 places- Athens and Lisbon( although this changes). I'm thinking we could do a European City and a long haul in one go. :)
Not quite what I meant Fiona...I was thinking Barcelona/Majorca or Lisbon/Algarve for example..not Athens/Koh Samui. :) Then again I have looked at doing the Far East via Munich booking at one of the agents they have at the airport there.
We are doing our first multi centre holiday at the end of this year. We are booked for 40 nights are are going to Perth, Sunshine Coast, Sydney and New Zealand. We have a camper van booked for New Zealand so that is multi centre on its own as every night is a different stop!! I cannot wait!

Also, although yes the holiday is more expensive than our usual break to Europe, we managed to get fantastic deals on the flights - it has cost us the same as a return to Sydney but we have got all the different flights in between. The only thing we had to do was travel on our first flight before the fares went up for the Christmas rush.
Sounds fantastic girlingreen. :cheers

Jealous, moi? Erm, yep. :)
It is very extravagant for us - but we have saved every spare penny for months now to go. We were adamant it would all be paid for by us before we went - no credit cards or loans involved, so have cut the shopping budget, tried not to use gas or electricity when not needed etc etc!! Every spare penny (literally) has gone into the holiday fund. At least this way we will not have to pay the holiday back when we return. It is hard at the moment though when everyone else is starting to go on their holidays and we still have another 6 months left before we go!
Yes but when you go everyone else will have their hols as a distant memory. Hopefully we'll get some good weather here and you can enjoy some weekends of sun eh?

You are doing just what I would do - save, save, save. If I had to I would eat nothing but beans on toast for months in order to get my holiday (and never, ever use credit for it - it would only end up being an ongoing thing year after year).

The time will fly by. :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.