Australia, New Zealand and South Pacific

Discussions regarding holidays in Australia, New Zealand and the South Pacific region.
Hi again
The bridge climb is thing you can only do if you are fit if you are afraid of heights it is not for you as you see the traffic below on one side of you and it is a long way down the other side as it to the water and if there is a wind blowing well I will let you think about it
A web site that gives you all the info is
http://www.bridgeclimb.com
Some of the other things to see and do are the
The Sydney Tower look out on top of the tower it is a high tower in the city
A harbour Cruise or ferry ride
A tour of the opera house
Ride on the Mono rail it goes around the city
If you have time a day tour to the Blue Mountains just out of Sydney
Visit The Rocks area of the city as it is the oldest part of Sydney and there is some good resaurants there
Visit some of the beachs like Manly or Bondi beach these are the two main beachs in Sydney there are others to
thanks for the website :) I did manage to go down the Cu Chi tunnels in Vietnam which was another fear of mine so never say never(but its looking that way :rofl )
The Rocks- I have to admit to not knowing about this area at all. ( my excuse- I'm only starting to research now!)
All the places Chubby recommends are great, unfortunately when we were in Sydney it rained quite a bit and the forcast wasn't good for the Blue Mountains Area, we had planned to take the train out but decided not to go (will do that next time). So we went to the Aquarium on Darling Harbour which was well worth a visit. We also caught the boat to Taronga Zoo as I wanted to see a wombat and Koalas
I was quite taken with the shopping mall in the Queen Victoria Building, lots of shops selling expensive Opals amongst other things. Actually it was the building that I found attractive.
On our one really sunny day we took a long walk through Hyde Park into the Botanical Gardens past Mrs.McQuaries point and round the harbour where we got marvellous views of the Bridge and Opera House.
I didn't do the bridge climb, again that is something I will do next time.
we would be going in the summer so the weather won't be great for us.
It may rain at times in Sydney but it won't be as cold as the UK is in winter and Ayers Rock should be warm (though cold at night). Cairns will be nice, it was extremely hot and sticky in October when I was there and I would only go there again in their Winter.. It does snow sometimes in Winter in the Blue Mountains (I think). The friend that I travelled with last time is going again this year in May, I think anytime is OK if you are not going just to lay on the beach.
I would highly recommend the Opera House tour. We did it and then saw a show at night. I always thought it was an ugly building, but when you see it in the flesh it is beautiful.

You have to go on the water even if it is just the Manly ferry although I loved the Bounty cruise.

luci :wave
Here's a shot of the Sydney Tower. You can book a meal in the restaurant and hubby can go out on the viewing platform while you sample the McGuigans.

It is expensive in there, about $50 each for a meal and the viewing is extra. Not worth it in my mind, as you get almost the same view from the rotating restaurant.
  • Edited by PARKY45 2009-06-11 20:33:18
The fish market for a nice lunch - now a tourist attraction but the food is brilliant. Manly ferry and a walk round town.
My hubbys highlight was the Tower Walk - he did the Bridge last year but did the Tower and said this was the better one.
I know I'm a bit late in replying on this thread, but to be honest, I'd never even seen this whole section until now.

If you haven't already been by the time you read this, I would definitely suggest you do the Bridge climb. My wife had real fears about it, worrying about the height and the difficulty of the climb.

The height didn't bother her and the climb id done in stages, so you are never out of breath or physically tired.

The hardest part for people with a fear of height is in the early stage of the climb, when you cross over the road. The guide simply warns people with a fear not to look down. This worked for my wife and several other people who had admitted a fear of heights. We had no-one in our group back out of the climb.

As you climb the bridge section over the water, the climb is not steep and the guide stops at regular intervals to point out places of interest and give you some history of the area.

There are also several photo opportunities, although only the guides are alllowed cameras. You will not be allowed even a wrist watch on the climb, as all loose objects, including coins, are left behind in secure lockers.

You climb the bridge in a suit provided by the company, and you are attached by a safety line to a rail on the bridge at all times from outset to return.

If you do take up the challenge, I would suggest paying a little extra for the twilight climb. You set off in daylight and the sun sets as you climb, giving you a great night view of the city on your way back down. I really hope you get to try it.

As for other things to do, Chubby has covered most. I did get up to the Blue Mountains and stayed overnight at Bilpin Springs. Our weather wasn't great, but that didn't ruin the experience. You can go on a day trip, which includes visiting the Three Sisters.

The Rocks area is vibrant and a pleasant place to stroll around and find a sopt to stop for coffee, beer, lunch or whatever takes tour fancy.

We also went on a Captain Cook evening cruise around the harbour. I booked this in the UK before leaving and must admit to wondering how you could spend several hours cruising around a harbour. Only one I got there did I realise that Sydney Harbour has around 27 miles of coastline.

The cruise included seven course meal and all drinks. We both thouroughly enjoyed it and found it easy to mix with others on the cruise, particularly Japanese people for some reason. They were all very friendly.

As I said at the start of this post, I hope you have not been and returned before reading this. Please let us know if you do make the climb.

JJ
Have dinner and drinks in newtown.
Swim in the outdoor pool in victoria park.
Tour the olympic park.
See some sport.
Catch some ferries.
Go to Glebe market on sat and have brunch afterwards.
Take a picnic to the botanical gardens.
If you see a show see if theres something good at the state theatre, its one of they prettyest I've ever been to.
We will arrive around 8 to stay overnight... where would be good to dine around 10, Darling harbour? Would there be nice views here, travelling with hubbie and two daughters mid April. What will temperatures be then?
You'll have a great selection of bars and rstaurants to choose from all around the harbour. If you want a really nice one just off the bridge, heading away from the museum (the opposite side of the harbour), and it has a full, curved, glass frontage. We had a reaaly good feed in there. For breakfast, follow the signs down to the fish market for some real Aussie tucker. It'll be a 20 minute walk, but well worth it.
o doyles restaurant in watsons bay, you have to go there on a sunday. It is the coolest little fish restaurant on the planet
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.