Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Gavin that must have cost a fortune?Which company is My Athena with?
Hi Liz,

It cost about £5000 for two of us on a 15 night christmas and new year cruise to the canaries.

The ship is owned by Classic International Cruises ,and chartered by Travelscope.

regards,

Gavin :D
I have booked the same suite for the African Sunshine Cruise in November. Have you had any luck getting any more information or photographs? I cannot wait to go but would like to know more about it. We did the Christmas and New Year Cruise on the Van Gogh last year and it was very good though the weather was a bit of a let down.
Hi, :D

I e-mailed a lady at the company that owns the ship but she couldnt give me any more info than ive mentioned above,apart from the fact that we could expect some "extra treats" but she didnt expand on this.
I going to keep researching and will post any more info i get. Hopefully someone who reads this post may have some.
:)

regards,

Gavin :)
Thanks Gavin. Wonder what the extra treats could be. We are really looking forward to it after the Van Gogh last year. If I find anything I will post it here.
Hi,

I went on a 7 day cruise on September 2005 on the Athena to Canary Islands and morroco.

I know nothing about that suite, but I tell you the best of the ship is outside the rooms. Excellent food and fantastic show's every night.

The pool was a bit of disapointment, very little.
Hi Pedro,

Thanks for the info,do i take it you were not impressed with your cabin !
Which Grade were you in as a matter of interest.

Also, was this your first cruise ?

regards,

Hi people,

I am going on this ship in 2 weeks time. Should I get any info for you I will post it on my return. I have booked a junior suite on the top deck at the font and my mum and dad are in a suite in the back end. All I know about our room is it has a jacuzzi bath and the view is obstructed by the life boats. So if you have any info please let me know.

In fact may be you could help? Ther is 4 formal/informal night where the men MUST wear a tie. On the other nights can they wear 3/4 length trousers with poloshirts? and in the buffet resturant can they wear t-shirts and jeans? Is the cinema up to much? and the gym ? So many :?: but I have no idea what to expect. I have always wanted to do a cruise but this to me looks like a ferry and not a cruise liner. I have heard good reports and what you have said does put my mind at ease. It is docking at Greenock early this week so I will try hard to get to the port to have a look. :D

If you did any tours were they worth it? We are going with my mum&dad for their 60th birthday's and taking an auntie who cant walk far and doesnt like coach travelling. I would rally like her to do something in each port except the local shops, so if you have any ideas please feel free to send them my way.

All the best when you crusie I will try to find out info if I can, may even get so pictures - if I bribe the cabin lady.......... :oops: or get talking to the people in it. :wink:

Cheers Michelle
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for your reply,concerning the resturaunt,you are normaly required to be smartly dressed for evening meals, i.e, shirt and full length trousers.During the day it tends to be more relaxed.

The ship is quite old and small but looks pleasant and will be better than a ferry ! :)

I have travelled with travelscope before and the shore excursions were quite resonable and good.

Any info you can get would be appreciated :D

Have a good time 8)

Regards,

Heard from Travelscope that they have cancelled the Cruise to the African Winter Sun so there goes our trip in the owners suite. Hope you have a good time but I dont think we will ever book with them again. Let me know what it was like when you get back so I can go green with envy.
Hi Martin,

Im very sorry to hear your news :cry:

Did they give a reason for cancelling ?

regards,

Gavin
Said not enough interest. Hope yours goes ok. Please let me know. We booked a cruise on the Destiny today with a suite so hope it will make up for it. Cheers
Hi,

The Christmas and New Year cruise im on has sold out so fingers crossed

Hope you have a good time on the Destiny,let me know how it goes,and i will report back on the Athena

regards,

Gavin 8)
I also came here looking for info on the Athena as I had very little information about the ship, :( however I have now booked the Norwegian Fjords for the 1st of June 2007.

I have also sourced out some photos and put them on a Blog for all to see, so perhaps others coming to www-holidaytruths (great site) wanting information will fined it easier than we have thus far. :wink:

To view photos Click Link:- http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richardsoffice/mv_athena.htm
Hi Richard,

Thanks a lot for the great photos, when im onboard ill take some more and post them here :D

if i get anymore info in the mean time ill let you know,

regards,

Gavin 8)
Hi Gavin,

Yes please do, I would be especially interested in photos relating to the dress attire for dinner, this will be the first cruise the wife and I have been on and from the photos I came across it looks like I will not need to buy a new suit the old one will do, any way I don't like dressing up as I'm over weight, but on the other hand I don't want to find everyone else dressing for dinner. Hope you have a wonderful time at Xmas I'm sure you will. :)

Regards Richard
Hey come-on . . . someone should have some new photos of this ship by now, its cabins, entertainment, Etc. :?: If you can afford the cost of a cruse you'll also have a decent digital camera and obviously a PC to upload to. So come-on help others out as you would have wished to be helped. :shock:

If you have come here looking for information and subsequently travel on the MV Athena when you get back don't be stingy :cry: post some snaps, or E' them to me so I can post them on the MV Athena Blog Site, my E' is on the site. . .

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/richardsoffice/mv_athena.htm

Regards Richard
Hi,

I have found a video on the Travelscope website which covers their ocean cruises, it shows the "athena"and "van gough" in detail including the cabins :D

regards,

Gavin 8)
That's great Gavin, but could you either tell me where to find the video or past a link in as I can't find it on their site. :oops:

Richard
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.