Greece - Corfu Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Corfu.
we sailed past while they were shooting the cast waved to us :P
My apologies. I thought that a TV adaptation of a book that is all about Corfu, and which was shot on location in Corfu Town and other parts of Corfu including Agni and Yaliskari Bays during this summer would be of interest to people who have been to Corfu and also informative for those who are thinking of going to Corfu for their holidays. Obviously, if this is classed as general chat and is not an appropriate subject for the Corfu forum I apologise.

Elaine
A must for all Corfu fans, the latest screen version of Gerald Durrell's book is to be shown on 27 December by the BBC. It was shot on Corfu in September this year.

Elaine

Thanks Elaine.

I am heading off to Corfu in the summer for the first time and most certainly will be watching it. Thanks again for letting me, and no doubt many other interested parties, know when it is being shown.
I think this post is very valid and not chat. Well done, xenosuk, I was wondering when it would be on. Its relevance is that all locations for popular films and programmes rise in popularity. There is attraction in seeing the island in detail and the historical connection of the Durrells with Corfu has always been of great interest. Corfu needs any boost to its popularity it can get at the moment, as long as it not in the all inclusive arena. (O/T but these are strangling the island) Long live independent travel!
I hope viewers will see what a beautiful island Corfu still is and come and see for themselves; rent boats and cars to get off the beaten track and see parts of the island that Gerald Durrell loved, with views unmatched in the med. The sea is clean and crystal clear (cliched but true), the beaches are never overcrowded. Use the marked walks along trails that Gerald himself used, see some of the wonderful wild life he enjoyed so much, tortoises, bright green darting lizards, gree treefrogs, eagles, buzzards, golden orioles, the odd hoopoe bird, and so much more Castaway Walks and the Blue marked routes
Corfu Trail
San Stefano area walks
There are many scuba diving schools for have a go divers and experienced to see the underwater world too, but even casual snorkelling will reveal a wonderful unerwater world of Octopus, bright fish, star fish, sponges, crabs,
Nautilus dive school
Dive Easy Acharavi
Watch the film then come and enjoy it for yourself! You wont be disappointed!
I agree with all of the above. We visited Corfu for the first time in Sept 05 and loved it. We stayed in Ag. Gordis. We normally go to Crete (6 years running) and wanted a change and were not disappointed in going to Corfu. We are booked for June 06 to go to Arillas, N. Corfu and found a wonderful website http://www.arillas.com that has been so helpful and informative. Any information relating to where you are going for a holiday is of interest and I know the readers on the forum would be interested in the tv program as it brings their holidays nearer and reminds them of the good times they have had. You look out for any places that you have been too and it brings all the flavours of the island back :D Happy holidays!!
Comments relating to chat have been removed.

The topic is fine.
Watched this tonight and thoroughly enjoyed it. Does anyone know where it was filmed though. Where did G. Durrell live? :D
Hi there,

The scenes were filmed around Agni and Kalamaki bays.Gerald Durrell was born in India but moved to Corfu with his family,He eventually went on to open a zoo in Jersey.He died at the age of 70.

Sue :pele
The Durrell's lived at the White House in Kalami - kalami is one of the small seaside villages which can just be seen from the main coast road south of Kassiopi.

I certainly recognised Agni from several scenes - possibly my favourite place in the Greek islands.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.