Tunisia Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tunisia.
My First Time
24 Posts
Sounds as though you had a really good time Llindy :tup

The same in the Medina at Sousse you can have a laugh and a joke with some of the stall holders aslong as your polite.

Thats what we do as well, I find it much nicer and more fun than just putting your head down and ignoring them, once they realise that you are not going to buy anything it gets muh more relaxed.

If possible could you say a few (or a lot) words about your hotel in our review section http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/tunisia/

Thanks
Graham
Welcome back Llindy. I believe I did warn you that you could end up with the same bug as me and a few others on here and become addicted to Tunisia. :rofl I do think it is a place to go for a week the first time as it's not to everyone's taste, but I had a funny feeling you would enjoy it and I'm glad to be proved right. Like you I love the Medina and am quite happy to have a laugh and joke with the shop-keepers there.
we went for our first time too in october and really enjoyed it. i never felt hassled in the medina - i loved it. we did haggle for some things but also went into the fixed price shops which were lovely as we could just browse. we stayed at the kenz and it is out of the resort but a cab was cheap enough,especially as there were 4 of us. it was great sitting outside a bar in sousse with a few cold beers and watching the world go by. we may well try another hotel in the centre of pek next but wouldnt turn down the kenz if we got a good deal.
Got back from P.E.K. last night. What an adventure! Apart from our hotel which was great, we did really enjoy our holiday. We found the people so lovely with a great sense of humour. We went to Tunis one day and visited the Bardot Museum, Carthage and to the old Medina. That was such fun, especially at the "everything on my stand for 1 dinar" stall. We also visited theblue and white village of Sidi bou Said. The stallholders were extreme there with one running down the street after me at one stage. 2 days later we set off on the most amazing 2 day trip. We then saw the real Tunisia. We went to El Jem, visited the caves where people live, then a horse and carriage trip into the date plantations and watched little boys scamper up the trees t get the dates down. Then it was off in a convoy of 4x4s into the Atlas mountains.We loved it all but the best was still to come. Next day were up at 4am to set off to the salt flats to see the sunrise on the flats which made the landscape look pink and pale blue. My own favourite was a 1 hr ride on a camel. At my age, was quite proud of myself. It was brilliant to be in the Sahara on a camel at sunset, and a wonderful red sunset at that. Could go on forever talking about my first trip to Tunisia but may get boring. If you have not been, just do it , it's maybe a once in a lifetime experience, but one you will never ever forget.
Sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your holiday digby :rofl

Glad to hear you had a good and by the sound of it busy holiday in Tunisia :tup

I for one would live to here about your exploits so if you have the time perhaps you could share some tales and pictures with us up in the chat section http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=138844

Graham
Welcome back Digby. I'm so pleased you enjoyed your holiday and managed to pack so much into it. I have a feeling that this first trip to Tunisia might not be your last. As you say, the Sahara trip is a great experience and well worth doing, though not perhaps with very young children because of the amount of traveling involved. We'd all love to hear your impressions, and any photos would be doubly welcome. I#ve been out to the Sahara a couple of time, the first time by car with local friends, when we didn't see so many places but spent more time in Matmata, including being invited to dinner by the owner of one of the cave houses when our car broke down and we had to stay another night. The second time time I booked a trip with Saphir Voyages, which was very much as you describe, including the 4 x 4 and the camel ride (not my favourite means of transport having fallen off one in Australia. :rofl )
Digby i'm so glad you enjoyed your holiday , if you can call it that with all that you done is such a short time , you will have to go back to rest . I also loved every minute of my week there , and would have loved to done a lot more , buts thats a good excuse for me to go back . ;) a question for you ,did you use the new airport coming back , and if so was it any better than Monastir as i found that a nightmare getting in to the country , didn't mind so much getting out though , meant i was there in the sunshine a bit longer .
Hi Llindy, I didn't think the new airport was operational yet as I've seen no mention of it on airline programmes. I've just made enquiries elsewhere and if I get any further information I'll certainly post.
Hi, Llindy, sounds like you enjoyed your holiday too. We flew in and out of Monastir. Being honest about it, it was by far the best airport experience we've had in all our holidays. The night we arrived we got through quickly and yesterday morning got there about 9.15 expecting the usual very long queue but were pleasantly surprised. As the girl checked our passports, a young lad was labelling the cases so we were whisked through in minutes. Aslemma and Kiltman, hope that by sharing experiences it may help others who may be thinking of holidays, just as I have to say thanks to you too for all the advise before going away.
thanks Asleema , i was told on the day we were leaving that the new airport was due to open the following weekend , hopefully they will have learnt some lessons and it will be a lot smoother getting in and out .
I am really pleased that you enjoyed your first visit to Tunisia, I also gained a lot from aslemma, Kevin and Jenny before my first visit and must say that I think it is a superb holiday destination.
I might be a bit biased as I do really like the North African area and feel right at home there with such friendly people.

Next stop is Morocco which I am hoping to get to next year.

Graham
I think you'll probably like Morocco too Graham. That was my first taste of North Africa many years ago, though I and my daughter stayed in Mohammedia with our company's Moroccan agent and his family rather than in one of the tourist areas. A crowded beach was a dozen local kids playing football. :rofl I know I'm :offtop Graham but you started it!!!
Right, I must remind you all to stay on topic please :tut

For those that haven't been to Tunisia I would say give it a go, you never know, like so many here you may just find that your first time isn't your last.
i also have visited Morocco , but for me Tunisia wins hands down , people a lot more friendlier, felt more intimadated in Morocco . One thing i did notice in Tunisia was that there were no snake charmers , especially in the Medina , or was i not looking in the right place . i saw baby turtlesfor sale , but when i asked the price , the people turned away from me , i did say that i would not be buying , but was not rude or brought up any cruelty aspect . Maybe it was because they knew i was british and could not bring them back .
Hi Llindy, Are you sure they were turtles you saw and not tortoises? A French friend of mine who used to go to Tunisia a lot actually took tortoises back to France from Zarzis and said it was easy to do, though I'm not going to give you instructions. :rofl She actually asked me to take her back one a few years ago but I politely declined.
Come to think of it Asleema they might have been , my neighbour has a tortoise and my children would love one , but even i am not silly enough to try and bring one bck .
Re snake charmers - some hotels include this in their entertainment program. Or at least they used to - I'm not sure if they still do. There's a father and son who do the shows at the hotels in Hammamet. I've chatted to the son on a few occasions and he often had a finger or two bandaged up from bites :yikes . On one occasion he was due to do the show at Le Hammamet and an hour after it was supposed to start, during which the entertainment team were running round manically talking on mobiles and organising 'party games' to keep the audience 'amused', his father did a reduced version of the show instead!?!

That said, on all occasions that I've seen them perform the show was quite impressive. I just make sure I'm well out of the way when it comes to the audience participation bits! :D

A.
I haven't seen them for a few years now but an older man used to come round the hotels in Sousse. I remember he was in the El Hana one year and had just said "Oh, it's quite safe, it's not a viper" whereupon it reared up and spread its hood - I've never seen a man move so fast as he grabbed it and put it back in its bag. :rofl
Re snake charmers - some hotels include this in their entertainment program

That would be the point you see Mr Kiltie or rather don't see Mr Kiltie for dust, 4 minute mile would be nothing :yikes even the thought of them, oh no no no.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.