Greece and other Greek Island Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Greece and other Greek Islands.
No problems! Just hope that you enjoy it! :D

Have you found http://www.360.gr/myrsina-kalymnos/veranda.html
yet? Looks lovely, I'll try and get some info from my on-line contacts ;)
Hi,

I am sorry that I have only just found your request for info on this hotel, we went there last year, and at this point all I will say is don't let the hotel spoil the holiday for you, the rest of the island is lovely!

The reason I say this is that for the first week of our two weeks there we were stuck in a basement room with no aircon, and no fridge, and no view of anything except for a muddy bank leading up to the main road (all of ten feet away).

Athough we had paid for bed and breakfast, if you want morw than a coffe and a breadroll with jam then you have to pay extra.

The pool had not been cleaned all summer and had green slime growing in it (although not a huge amount) The reason it had not been cleaned is that the hotel had it's water supply cut off for non-payment of bills, and so all the water is delivered daily by truck, and paid for in cash - no cash, no water. the truck can only deliver enough to service the rooms.

We also had a problem in that they only have enough pillows in the hotel for one per guest, so as my partner has to have two due to neck problems I spent the entire two weeks without a pillow, inspite of me checking almost daily if they had any spares.

If you are lucky enough to get a room with aircon, it is worth paying the money for it, otherwise you will bake!

All that said, the rooms are tidy and clean, and the family who run the place are very friendly. The food they provide at the poolside bar is good for what it is.

I can whole heartedly suggest going to the cafe on the rocks on Telendos. boats run every half our from myrtes to telendos and back, and George his wife, who run the cafe, are real gems. The food is amazing, the atmosphere wonder full, and the beach and sea perfect.

Babis' Bar is fab, and Babi, Jianni and Elios are really lovely and welcoming, and the food is good and the pool there is lovely.

Having said that I don't think we had a bad meal the whole two weeks and we ate in alot of places!

Hope that helps, and I hope the hotel has improved since we were there!
just me again...

absolutly our favorite day for whiling away a day in a cafe watching the sea etc with a paper and coffee etc was all of two min walk from the hotel.

As you come out of the hotel and head along the main road towards the main restaurants, and shops etc, there is a little, steep road that heads directly down to the beach from the hotel. GO down there and right on the beach, on the right hand side is a bar/restaurant place called something like the smugglers inn, it has suitably maritime deccorations around the enterance....

Also if you need to do laundry, there is a place called Anna's (or something similar) that is does a really cheep laundry service.

hope that helps too :)
We have not been to Kalymnos for about five years now, but prior to that went for five years on the run and stayed at the Myrsina for two holidays. It is big and slightly impersonally run, but was clean and suited our needs,although the noise from mopeds revving to get up the hill at the side could be very annoying. After saying that the have put a new road in and I understand that is not such a problem now. Lots of nice restaurants stung out along the road between Myrties and the next resort up the road. I can recommend the Argo and the Sunset. A trip to Telendos is a must. The sunsets from Myrties are fabulous, try and make out the princess's profile in the side of Telendos!!
Myrsina hotel etc.
Aircon-good idea to check with your hol supplier about charges before you go-aircon does not run free.Aircon used to be supplied free at many locations.....but,the guests would go out and leave it on and thus huge electric bills to the accomodation !
Pillows-having been to Greece for hols since 1974 it is almost standard practice for one pillow per bed.I need two for a neck problem and always ask for a spare one or improvise-or even buy or bring one.I wouldn't suffer .
Breakfast-at package prices,the full English is rarely free on Greek package hols-a light breakfast is surely sufficient -go to Blackpool if you want Britain on hols.
Mopeds-probably belong to waiters who stay up to the wee hours to serve us and live outside the resort.They do not get paid a lot and cannot afford quiet running BMW cars.
Pool at Myrsina doesn't sound good and I will complain if it is like that when I go later in the year-was fine last time.
The crew at Babis are great, the food is fine for what is offered and they stay open late,late.Traditional Greek food is available in Pothia and taxis are not expensive.Plenty of good restaurants in Myrties,Massouri,Melitsahas.
Hol accomodation in Greece has come on by leaps and bounds,but on cheaper packages will be sparse.A clean bed shower and loo does me as I spend my hols going places ,eating out,enjoying the Greek people and don't lurk indoors.
Our hol to Myrsina will cost £854 this year from Scotland for 14 nights(probably cheaper from England). and I do not expect the Ritz for that price or snorkers and HP Baked Beans at breakfast along with eggs ,sausage etc..
Have been to Kalymnos 4 times and it never disappoints.I do not want a replica UK on my Greek hols.
If you don't like the Greek package,stay in blighty with the rain,warm beer,crime and unhealthy diet-G.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.