Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Hi toondoug, we weren't on that flight but were on the one on 15/12/06 that was delayed. We were put up in the Hilton too, and ours was delayed due to a problem with a replacement part.

Seems to be quite a common thing doesn' it?! Hope you had a great holiday inspite of the delay.
We were on the flight back on the 21st January which was delayed 24 hours. Got to Gatwick and the My Travel staff did not want to know. Cost us an extra £215 to fly to Scotland. My Travel are still not interested and neither are the insurance company. Considering suing them in the small claims court. Anyone else in the same boat?
thats bad news sandyboy ,ive been in touch with our travel insurers and been told well get £60 compensation ,we did enjoy our holiday and spent 3 weeks in the big banana. this was our 3rd trip the only thing is that there sems to be a lot more beggars with small babies ,we watched one day when the police rounded them up and thru them into the back of a big van screaming they showed them no mercy. also the taxi drivers are getting really greedy and dont care even when you walk away
there sems to be a lot more beggars with small babies ,we watched one day when the police rounded them up

On some other forums, I have seen Goa described as "the toilet of India" because of the beggars that come into the state from Maharashtra, Karnataka and Tamil Nadu.

Goa is the richest state per capita in India, and they think the tourists are easy pickings.
Bad news Sandboy, I.ve been in the same position with late Goa flights and missed connections to Scotland. Unfortunatley I think you will find that in law all Mytravel is legally bound to do is get you from Goa to Gatwick and no more. I know its outrageous but as far as I am aware thats the law. The only sure way is to book scheduled with the likes of B.A and then if one sector of your flights are delayed they will then get you on the next available connection, it's not ideal but thats the risk in flying budget carriers or charter . Alan
Hi sandyboy, have a look at the info and advice on another HT forum here delays
There is some really good info and a solicitor you can contact.
Thanks Blondepuff. I knew that there was European legislation somewhere but not the details. What really annoyed me was the fact that we were given no help by My Travel staff. The flight crew told us to go to the My Travel desk where we were basically told by them to contact BA. My Travel now claim that we were given all the assistance required by their staff. What a joke the could not have cared less. To make matters worse I had food poisoning and was almost on the point of collapse after the journey.

We were told by the pilot over the PA that the reason that the plane was late was due to a vehicle having collided with it. My Travel now say that it was "a technical fault" and will not be any more specific.

I am inclined to take them to the Smalll Claims Court in any case, as the most I can lose is £75. It will cost them a lot more than that to defend the case. I originally booked with My travel as they were supposed to upgrade all of their long haul aircraft, which they have not yet done. We are going out with them again in 3 weeks. Fingers crossed!!!
I'm moving this to complaints where you might get some advice.
Can't help Sandyboy - but believe Gramps has hit the nail on the head with that issue.

Toondoug - can offer some help for you - based on personal experience.

Providing you booked a package (and not just flight only), the delay of 26 hours would permit you to claim one day's part of your package duration. I believe that would be 1/21 as you had a 3 week holiday.

This would equate to approx. 5% of the ENTIRE package price - not just the flight element.

The Laithrope -v- Kuoni Travel case of a few years back (Milton Keynes court I believe) stipulated this to be the case. You should also claim £50 per pax inconvenience, distress etc. If you intend to chase this legally contact Ros. She won me 1/14th on this basis 18 months back. :D

Mike
Mike,
Suely that compensation is only for delays on the outbound flight (to compensate you for the loss of a portion of the holiday) rather than on the return leg where you are not missing out on any of the holiday? In this case, the complaint is that the delay in return meant that an onward flight (LGW to Scotland?) was missed and a new flight had to be booked. If this is the case then there is little chance of compensation for the missed onward flight from the tour operator as they were contracted to get you back to LGW and at that point their legal responsibility ends.

Cheers,
Jet
thats what happened to us last january we were delayed about 4 hours on a flight from kuala lumpur which meant we missed our last flight home to jersey.
malaysian airlines taxid us to gatwick from heathrow and put us up in the hilton gatwick, paid our meals but we had to get our own flights to jersey the next day, they had fullfilled their obligation to get us back to the uk, i think we were lucky to get the help we did
Jetnoise,

you've got me slightly confused now. I've read the entire thread again and as I understand it Toondoug started by posting about the 26 hour delay in arriving - and he/she specifically states that this was on a flight TO Goa. I assume therefore the delay is in arriving AT Goa.

Blondepuff suffered a similar delay, likewise being put-up at the Gatwick hotel and although not specifically stated I assume this was also outbound to Goa.

Sandyboy meanwhile talks about returning HOME and his delay causing a missed connection. Gramps offers sympathy with regard to similarly missed return connections and provides an accurate report on the carrier's responsibilities.

I can't offer any extra advice to Sandyboy - you are quite right, jetnoise, he was returning home. However, as I understand it, Toondoug CAN be helped in so far as he/she was delayed outbound.

I think I've understood this thread correctly - Toondoug being the original poster compaining about the 26 hour delay outbound to Goa.

However, loads of factual info comming out in this thread and all of it useful to a variety of travellers no doubt.
got our cheque today for £60 from axa insurance , ive been in touch with my travel but they are adamant that they have fulfilled their obligation to us by feeding and putting us up in a hotel. when i quoted the eec regulations about compensation regarding delays its only if you choose to go with another airline and obviously you have to pay for other tickets
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.