General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
nails anyone?
17 Posts
I've never had extensions before going, but I had them done while on holiday in Tunisia. If I remember correctly, my mum and I had them done 2 days before returning home, they seemed to be fine in water and the heat. :)
No

To be honest I think false nails are dated, I have mine shortish and painted black/or chanel rouge noir, anything by chanel, more classy and cute, rather than long talons....
I have acrylic nails Pink and I find the most damaging to them on holiday is the sun tan lotion. If you dont wash it off properly it forms a nasty film over the top which is hard to get off once its settled . Yes they do loose their brightness but no more than they normally would after a couple of weeks . just make sure you use wipes or something soapy to get the lotion off . Just water doesnt do the trick as most lotions now are waterproof ;)
I agree with Kazza that the artwork is a bit dated now and would go for a "less is more" look and either go for "permenant "french tips (not too long) or a plain colour .
Thanks everyone...

Think im going to get acrylics, but just going to go for french tips, i dont want long tallons lol, just something simple i think
Get them proffesionaly removed then when you come back home or you'll ruin your nails if you try yourself as it takes the top of them with the extension. ( Yes, I did it once, they looked awful for weeks)
I always get mine done as I have to wear them short at work and they always last the whole two weeks.
You can either have the french tips airbrushed on or the permanant white ones which always look nicer and more natural.

Mine were very bitten before I went over to acrylics a few years ago and they have never come off since . I have them refilled every 3 weeks . They are extremely hard wearing and the best thing I have ever done :tup . I dont have a clue what they look like under neath but Im not bothered as they are far nicer to look at now than they ever have been . In my case nothing to loose.
I agree with Lynn - acrylic nails are fab!

I always get mine down before we go away and they always stay on with no problems at all.
I don't like talons - can't manage to do anything if my nails are too long - and I just have the french tips
because I think they always look nice and clean - and there's no faffing about with nail polish.

(If anyone does want to take the nails off themselves, Home Bargains sell the removal stuff really cheap -
but - if I remember correctly, it's just pure acetone.)

I once had gel nails done, which I was told are far better than acrylic.
But to be honest, I didn't rate them.
They just about lasted the two weeks of our holiday.
I always think I'll have my nails done but then I remember that mine always come off after 3 days. I think I must have oily nails or something.
Does anyone else have this problem?
They look great on everyone else but I've also got a short nail bed too so never look as good on me.
I'm gutted as I'd love to have them looking chic with a french tip.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Emma
I've got short nail beds (so I was told by one manicurist) and very weak nails Emma.
I have no luck with the DIY false nails but the salon done ones have always been fine.

One tip I would give you is this...

If there are any Chinese salons offering false nails near you, get them done there.
You might pay slightly more than in other places, but in my experience, they are well worth
the money.

The best nails I have ever had done were done by a Chinese lady, and talking to other
women on holiday, it would appear that their best nails were also done by Chinese people.
(Not just a couple of women - a lot! And remember, these women were from all over the UK.)

There was a slight difference in how the Chinese lady did the nails to other salons, not much,
but enough to give them absolutely brilliant staying power.
(They were the only nails that have not started to drop off off after 3 - 4wks.
I had to have them removed in the end.)

When you find a salon you're happy with, mention that you have a problem with your nails and that
they don't usually last longer than 3 days. I'm sure they'll be able to help you.

Good luck.
false nails ????? no way !!! can't pick your nose with them !!
only joking !! REALLY !
Being a hairdresser and hands in water all the time, you'd think my nails would be rubbish, but I must be blessed cos I have right good 'uns ! just put some pale pink varnish on and away I go !
Have to admit ladies, it mytsifies me why some gals will pay shed loads of money to have their nails done each week, who noticies ???? fair play if it just makes you feel better, but I reckon your hair is the thing other people will look at first !
no offence meant to any of you nail bar regulars, but its all about hair, ladies and lads !!
cheers,
juby
Oh juby you are soooo right about a decent hair cut . Very important ;)

Yes I agree milly the chinese or normally vietnamese girls are the best . They just have the knack and do it all day every day. men included ;)

the place I go are Vietnamese. The whole family work there and they charge £20 for a new false set (including permanant wite tip)and £14 for infills. As mine have been on for few years I dont have the false tips as my natural nails have now grown underneath. The acrylic is applied over the top of them for obsolute staying power. they never break. Equally many people just have them done for special occasions and holidays let them eventually fall off becuase they dont get them refilled then back to square one again with the tips on the next occasion.
Thanks everyone for the advice.
I know this is a silly question, but here goes, it's probably going to be a bit long winded too, so please be patient.
Right, if I had acrylic extensions put on, could they put clear/plain tips on and then just put the white acrylic on near the end of the nail tip to give the look of longer nail beds? If they put white tips on that just makes my nails look even shorter.
Does anyone understand what I mean?
I'm sure that's what Victoria Beckham has done to hers.
I would really love to have them done for my hols but previous attemps have looked so poor it's put me off. :(

Emma
Meant to add, I'm sure there's a nail salon at the metro centre in the mediterranean village that has just chinese/vietnamese technicians.
Next time I'm through there will check it out and ask them about my theory.

Emma
I'm with you juby, the hair is all important.

I have always tried to keep my nails nice and longish - luckily they grow well and I've never needed false ones or extensions of any kind (cept for those times when for some unknown reason they break one after the other and you have to start from scratch). I have had them long since I was a teenager.

For me, one of the reasons is that I have quite chubby fingers and they help to make them look slimmer. People DO notice nice nails but we all have budgets and my money goes on the hair and salon products to keep it looking good.
Emma You will probably need the clear coloured extensions then white tip airbrushed on at the end . The permantant white tips although they look nicer may in that case not be suitable for you as the extension is white as appossed to clear which they cut to size then just put clear varnish over . My sons girlfriend had the pemanant white tips and because she had very little of her own nails left this produced a very wide white tip that started half way down her nailbed.

not sure if im making sense here .
lynnewestie,
I know exactly what you mean. Had white tips put on a few years ago, and it started half way down my nail, and looked awful.
My mum and sister have beautiful long nail beds and nails :cry
I've got my dad to thank for my short ones. It's so annoying cos I've got long fingers and loads of nail varnish!!

Emma
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.