UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
Hi,
i don't think you're mad at all..
We've taken our son on the underground (he was 5 at thr tine) without any problems. Just keep a tight hold of their hand and make it into a game....
Lets face it - Londoners take their kids on the underground every day without any problems.
As for the museum - wish i was cooming too. I love London museums.
Have fun!
Thank you Maryj1

We're all very excited.
Make sure you give yourself plenty - and i mean plenty, of time to go round the museum. We did about 3 hrs, and there was loads more i wanted to see. Then again, kids at that age? If they decide after 10 minutes they dont like it!
Have you considered the Science Museum? There are lots of buttons to press, things to turn etc. which kids love to fiddle with and, although the Natural History Museum would be interesting, it might not be enough to satisfy them if they can't touch many of the exhibits. It's just round the corner from the Natural History Museum so you could always go there if they get fed up with it! You can find out information about the two museums on line and the science one has a journey planner which may help.
Both the Science and Natural History Museums are brilliant for children. Children of the ages you mention will particularly enjoy the Launch Pad (I think it's called without looking it up) in the Science Museum, and if they're 'normal' children of these ages they'll love the animotronic T Rex in the Natural History Museum.

There's currently a literally stunning Diamond exhibition at the Natural History Museum. It isn't suitable for kids (too boring!) but you might like to offer to babysit for an hour while mrs softy oogles some of the world's largest and most beautiful diamonds...........or then again not!
Thank you

we are also planning on a visit to the science museum.

My main concern is the underground. Any tips anyone.
Or do you think I might be able to park nearby? I've already been told its not an option but would that be the same for a sunday.??

:wink:
mrs softy. i think it will be busy whenever you go. as your children are young ..what about getting those....oh i'm not sure what they're called...a bit like dog lead things :shock: :shock: you know the thing you put around your wrist and they then put around theirs. at least that way they can't get away from you on the underground!! medot.xx.....reins thats the word!!!!!!!!!
......does the NH museum still have that ENORMOUS whale completely filling one room ?....I remember seeing it when I was very, very young, and it really TERRIFIED me :yikes - had nightmares for ages....put me off keeping a pet goldfish....just made that last bit up..... :wink:
sunowner, alas the whale has gone! We visited in February and I had told my little one all about it and we were both disappointed when we discovered it was a whale no more!

There is something for children of all ages at both the NHM and SM and there are as many buttons to press in NHM as in the SM.

Launch pad is fantastic but always always extremely busy and hot. Same with the dinosaurs in NHM.

My top tip for any museum would be use the cloakrooms. Drop everything off apart from a bottle of water so that hands are free and shoulders don't get tired.

mrsofty what sort of tips do you want for the underground? It's easy to use although it is a reasonable walk in the tunnels from the station to the museums for little legs. Mind you the children enjoy the opportunity to run in safety and make a lot of echoing noise!

The museums are always busy even in term time because of school visits. However there are always quiet spots and there are plenty of benches to sit down and catch your breath. One of the quieter areas in the SM is the top two floors which are taken up with exhibitions on early medicine. There are some gruesome things up there like shrunken heads, elementary dental surgery weapons, oops I mean instruments, bones, mummies and so on. My daughter was only three when we showed her this the first time but it really caught her imagination and she absolutely adored it.

I love both museums and only wish that we still lived in London to take advantage of the free entry.
When we were at the NH museum, im fairly sure they were filming the BBC 'interlude' shot of the Circ Soleil when you see the swirling from a high roof on bedsheets. They were in a locked gallery type place where no one could gain access - you could see them thru cracks in a screen over the doors.
Magster, the whale was still there on 11th September in the same room as usual and surrounded by all the other life size animals. Has it gone since then?
Ahhh, I recall that there were a lot of rooms 'not available' on our visit so perhaps mr whale was resident in a closed room. It sounds as though it is still there, apologies for misleading anyone. I genuinely thought it had gone! Darn, that means another visit :D
thank you all so much

I'm worried about the underground and getting lost. Wasting time to get to the museums is the second worst nightmare. the first losing the kids naturally.

we will take a pushchair as my son will not have the stamina to walk much

I just do not have a clue about the underground or london transport :oops:
......if it's of any help to anybody wandering through the streets of London (could be a song title there....) theres a splendid set of street maps covering not just central London but way out into the suburbs, and byond.....a set of 19 detailed maps, primarily produced for cyclists, but don't let that put you off, 'cos they're really good.....and......they are all .....completly FREE :hyper ...... just go to http://www.tfl.gov.uk and select the ones you want.....there will probably be a follow up e-mail sometime later to ask how useful they were.
.....and whatever you might think of some of Ken Livingstones other ideas, this is one of the better ones :D
You can view tube maps and plan journeys at:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tube/

You're heading for South Kensington. Once there you will not get lost getting to the museums because they are very clearly sign posted and as I said earlier you can walk through the subway, which only goes in one direction! Keep your buggy folded up whilst on the tube and you will not have a bother! You can leave it down but to be honest I always found it easier to carry.
Thanx everyone

I'll let you know how it all goes :wink:
Travelling on the tube was simple

Cost us £8 for a family of 4 to get round on a sunday. Bargin

Natural History and Science museum were fantastic. the kids had grat fun.

We did pop into the V&A but its not for young kids.

London is dirty though streets were filthy with rubbish. Shame.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.