Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
NCL Med Cruise
4 Posts
Pisa, Rome and Florence are all easy to do DIY, but only Pisa is doable in half a day. Check the DIY sticky topic at the top of the forum.

luci :wave
hello kazzy. My husband and I sailed on the Jewel last September, presume it was the same itinery as you are doing. We we thrilled with every aspect of it. We did not doo any tours at all and just did oour own thing which we enjoy. As far as tipping is concerned we decided to tip as and when we wanted and this was not a problem. I went to Reception, signed a form stating what we had decided to do and I asked for some envelopes to use for extra tipping before we left. Hope this helps you.
Tips, easiest to just let the $10 go onto the account and top up where you feel extra is worth it.

The basic tips cover the dinining staff and the cabin steward, bar staff get there cut from the 15% on the drinks.

I was going to suggest the rollcall on cruisecritic but it is very quiet asuming it is the 5th Aug trip you are on.

Speciality restaurants do try them all and look out for the early bird 1/2price deals with the late sailing I would expect there to be some.

Checkthe daily schedule carefully for what is on where plan, it is easy to miss things.

Rome : readup on how to do this by train, cheap(9eur) and easy, plan you day in Rome, St Peters should be done first(queues) thing if you can and want to do it At the colloseum we just joined a local tout doing guided tours worked well(loads of students do this) but you can check on-line for compnaies that do guides, they do make the visit much more interesting.
MOst of the rest of rom is walkable but do check out a map before you go.

Florence : can be done by train but is a full day realy, if you want to go to the Accademia(david) book your tickets in advance to avoid the queues.

Naples : I recommend doing pompeii, but it can get very hot, there is no cover, again read up and decide to have a guide or use the audio tour that they have. can be done by train, the station in naples is a taxi/tram/bus ride at pompeii it is right next tothe site, Google earth is good for getting bearings.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.