Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
Having bought ` Economy Restricted` tickets in the past, it usually means that it is sold at a special price (even within the trade)and no changes whatsoever can be made to it. Whilst I appreciate that you have spoken to a number of people at Emirates it may be that they gave you advice not appreciating that your ticket was of this `restricted` variety. I would be tempted to go back to Emirates and ask them again on this specific point, whilst the terms and conditions of carriage and ticket issue are on their website, but I have to say it is a bit general and doesnt take you further forward, so best to speak direct.

For what is worth, in general, travel agents usually sell these sort of tickets as its the only way to get the headline prices they stick on the shop windows.....Good luck
Thanks paully,

I was not aware they were restricted tickets and as far as I knew they were ordered direct from Emirates. The only reason I know Emirates website and ordering them over the phone was the same price the TA charged us was because she told us there was only six seats left on the flight and I would have to book them before they sold out. (i know I fell for the salesmans patter) anyway I checked the Emirates web page when I returned home and using flight times, flight numbers and costs were the same as what she charged us. It probably just means she made more profit and commission booking it through FlexiTravel.

At the moment I am going through the phase if it was not for bad luck I would have none but I am not giving up on this one. I am determined I am not throwing away £3200. I have worked all year to pay for this and was really looking forward to going.
If you go through a dummy booking on the Emirates website it should tell you during the booking process or in their T&C's what the restrictions on the fare are.

luci :wave
we dont earn any commission ourselves on flexi bookings, and the profit we make is low on flexi flights also, as the whole value isnt pure profit i.e taxes and fuel etc.

let me know how you get on with the complaint letter.
Hi Luci,

First Choice are saying the Fare terms they have are different because they have used a booking system called Net fare with Emirates. Emirates have read me these terms and conditions but there is nothing under the heading for cancellations/refunds. Emirates have been great they said they are willing to refund my tickets all it will take is for First Choice FlexiTravel to call them and send in a cancellation form and it should only cost £50.00 per person. I have just found the flight with someone else same flight numbers, same times etc but the cost is ay £2704 near a £1k more than I paid. I cannot get into the Emirates website it must be down at the moment.

thanks
Hi beccafcr

I have a breakdown and it is made up of adult & child airport tax, call centre surcharge, flight prices. Whats the benefit of using Flexitravel then if the flights are so restricted and you have more options if you use the public booking. We would have been better off booking ourselves via the internet or phone in that case. I have always used travel agents as I thought it was more secure and you had people to help if you need it.
each travel agency has a company they use to book scheduled flights. flexi is first choices company, its who we're told to use for scheduled flights. they can get flexible fares with airlines also, but the cheaper fares are the non flexible kind, which is the kind you have. and the fare rules - the fact that your ticket is none changeable or cancelable - is what should have been told to you at time of booking. which is one of the issues you need to put in the complaint letter.
As I've stated before, why not establish the exact fare class you're booked at. There are numerous fare classes in economy alone. Once you've established that, information can be provided on whether this fare is as flexible as you hope it to be.

Mark :)
Just a note of a situation I had to deal with for my Sister 4 years ago. Her son of 32 at the time living in San Francisco had a ruptured brain embolism. She flew out to the US on that day with BA. He was on live support for 9 days. First problem is that she and I were booked on a cruise leaving 3 weeks later. We cancelled the cruise and claimed on our travel insurance policy no problem
She was out there for some weeks as he was still in intensive care. He has been left paralysed and is not home in Scotland.
During the time she was out there her partner in Scotland was diagnosed with cancer and she wanted to come home to help support him over his surgery ( He died just over 2 years ago)
Contacted BA and asked if she could change her ticket and come home earlier. Under no circumstances would BA allow her to do this without written proof from his Consultant to confirm his diagnosis. Her partner had to get a letter from his Dr confirming this which we then faxed to BA and they did then allow her to travel earlier.
It just confirms how restrictive tickets can be. I can understand BA in that people would buy this ticket which is less expensive and then try change flights etc. At the time I was doing all the paper work as they didn't have a computer here.
I have got flights at the moment with Singapore Airlines and going to NZ and OZ doing a cruise and then prolonging my stay in Perth for 5 weeks over Xmas. When I booked this flight and it was though Trailfinders I contacted SIA and asked what the position was if I wanted to fly home earlier. Told that I could pay £50 to change the ticket.
I am now wondering if this would totally be the case as there might be a similar clause in my ticket. I did speak to SIA but who knows.

Sue
Sorry this should have read aneurysm not embolism. BA were sticking absolutely to the letter of their T&C but with the medical information she then got a flight the following day.

Sue
keela1eva2

Slightly off the original topic, but in response to a post above

When I booked this flight and it was though Trailfinders I contacted SIA and asked what the position was if I wanted to fly home earlier. Told that I could pay £50 to change the ticket.
I am now wondering if this would totally be the case as there might be a similar clause in my ticket. I did speak to SIA but who knows.

Trailfinders are one of the very best for information.

Go to your "View Trail"

At the bottom of the page there is a link to "IMPORTANT INFORMATION". Any restrictions, charges etc., should be shown and explained there and the explanations are very good.

Peter
Quick update, spoke to Pam at thw solicitors you recommended and she said that you should receive confirmation invoices for your holiday no later than 10 days after booking. I was advised to go to the office and demand copies of these which I did on 12/08/08 but there was no terms and conditions with them just two pieces of A4 white paper. My booking summary was wrong and they did have the wrong flight dates but the invoices are correct. I have received nothing from the head office yet but they have until the 24th to reply back. Trading standards are now looking at the case as they said they have had more than enought time to make a couple of calls. The solicitors thinks even though we asked about injections and visa numerous times but never got anything in writing the rep will deny ever being asked and this will make it slightly harded to deal with.

I will update as soon as i hear anything.

p.s.

There was another customer in trying to change hotels as her friend had just come back from the area and advised her that her hotel was under renovations and it looked like a building site but they were refusing to change as they had not heard anything. so much for customer service and their new advert about being family friendly. On another matter the new rep I have been talking to at Falkirk has been so helpful but as advised her hands are tied she can only do what head office says. The rep who took my booking walked out of the office when I went in so I think I am not one of her likeable customers at the moment.
sandrai,

she proberbly knows she has done somthing wrong, and now is trying to avoid you!

laura
Hello everyone this is the reply I received by email today at 6.10pm from First Chioce.

** Edit to delete contents of email from First Choice which will surely have had a clause stating it should not be reproduced. luci HT Mod **

I have replied and requested a call back before 4pm tomorrow but I do not think that will happen. Basically they have not looked into anything at all there has been no communication with the Falkirk Office. I asked today when I was in if customer relations had been in contact and the answer was no. I received my confirmation invoice for the hotel on 12/8/8 and the flights on 31/07/08 but still waiting on these important terms and conditions explaining everything we need to do. I do not even want to go on holiday now. I am totally p..... off.

will let you know if the phone call happens :(
  • Edited by luci HT Mod 2008-08-22 18:33:04
    To remove email
Your quotes from the email sent by FC will disappear when a Mod spots them, but their comments regarding responsibility for advice re inoculations and visa requirements appear to be a wrong statement of law, and in any case you say you have never received their terms and conditions.

As a reminder -
The Package Travel, Package Holidays and Package Tours Regulations 1992

© Crown Copyright 1992
The legislation contained on this web site is subject to Crown Copyright protection. It may be reproduced free of charge provided that it is reproduced accurately and that the source and copyright status of the material is made evident to users.

Information to be provided before contract is concluded
7.—(1) Before a contract is concluded, the other party to the contract shall provide the intending consumer with the information specified in paragraph (2) below in writing or in some other appropriate form.

(2) The information referred to in paragraph (1) is:—

(a) general information about passport and visa requirements which apply to British Citizens who purchase the package in question, including information about the length of time it is likely to take to obtain the appropriate passports and visas;

(b) information about health formalities required for the journey and the stay ......

Crown copyright material reproduced with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland

Enough reason to go back to your solicitor I think, and your local trading standards may be interested. They are responsible for prosecuting breaches of the package holiday regulations.

Peter
Hi I have just phoned First Choice as I requested a call back today before 4pm and I have had no acknowledgement either.

The person I spoke to (Darren) said I need to wait another 28 days. Is this right.

I am really annoyed now. :banghead:
The tour op should acknowledge your 1st letter of complaint within 14 days of receiving it and respond within 28 days in accordance with ABTA guidelines.

If you write in reply to their response - yes, they have a further 28 days to reply and are not obliged to provide an acknowledgement of receipt.

Once you have received 2 written responses, you can take your claim to ABTA if you feel it has not been handled correctly or with a satisfactory result.

ABTA will require copies of all correspondence between you and the tour op and will evaluate if there is a case to answer. If they feel you have a claim, both you and the tour op will be required to pay a fee for the claim to go to arbitration.

If you win, you get your fee back. If you lose, there's a chance you could end up with less than the tour op offered in the first instance (if anything).

CwB
I'd leave ABTA out of it and go to trading standards, but first of all have another word with Pam.

Peter
Thanks Peter.

Contents of email deleted as it should not be reproduced.

Please do not reproduce any further correspondence from First Choice verbatum. You may however summarise the contents in your own words.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.