Holiday Complaints

Do you have a holiday complaint? For help and advice post in here.
The aim of this section of the holiday-truth website is to enable holidaymakers to get advice and assistance as soon as possible on any holiday complaints or problems encountered.
Our members will be able to offer you advice on how best to deal with your holiday complaints and how to deal with the Tour Operators. However please remember that this will be non qualified advice. We therefore suggest you seek professional assistance from someone qualified in Travel Law.
We have teamed up with Ros Fernihough, Travel Law Solicitor, to provide the best information available.
Ros has offered our members free impartial legal advice. Please note that Ros does not read or post on this board any contact to her must be made via :-

The direct number to Ros's PA Pam is 01922 705134
Or try the switchboard number 01922 633214 and ask for Travel Dept.

Contact Ros, you need professional advice. As I see it, you have been given incorrect information and a visa and the inoculations, but can you prove it?

This is where Ros might be able to help, and in any case there's nothing to lose. Who is the Travel Agent so the rest of can avoid them, please?

Peter
incorrect information ABOUT a visa and the inoculations

Hope this makes more sense!

Peter
As a point of interest I have a leaflet from Thos Cook detailing Visa and Heath requirements for British Citizens. It lists requirements for countries inside and outside the EU.

Hong Kong is shown but no mention of China.

Whilst this is posted in Complaints section the same post is also here http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=123223 with some additional information.

The reference to Smog has been in the news for over 12 months including several big articles in the press last year.

The OP is also aware of the various jabs associated with long distance travel - I am surprised they simply relied on the travel agent.

Quoting "Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 (amended by the Sale and Supply of Goods Act 1994). and the information quoted therein, is not really relevant. You "might" have a case but your holiday will be long gone before you will get a ruling there.

The best advice has been given which is to Contact Ros Fernihough

fwh
Thank you for your replies the Travel Agent is First Choice and this is the first and last time I use them. I have travel with Thomas Cook, Thomsons and a few others over the years and when I have booked holidays we were alway give information about visas. health injections etc by leaflet or advise verbally what you need by the Travel Agent.

I know know in hindsight I should have checked myself but this is their job. When I went for a job interview with one of the tour operators we were told we need to know about the countries we were selling to and how to advise the customers on all aspects of the holiday and it was compulsary we visit some of these places to find out for ourselves.

I have emailed my letter of complaint to the Judge at the Sunday Mail and will contact the Travel Law Solicitor that you mention.

Thanks

Sandra
Letter I have sent to FIRST CHOICE Travel Agents

EDIT: Sorry, but your post has had to be edited due to copyright infringement. Much of your letter to First Choice seems to comprise of extracts of information which you have reproduced from other websites. Whilst that may or may not be permissible under the copyright policy of those individual websites in as far as a personal letter to First Choice is concerned, I'm afraid that is not permissible under their copyright policy to reproduce that material on the pages of a public access website such as Holidaytruths.
David HT Mod
hi sandra, not sure if it helps, but i just had a look on first choice's website and typed in the word cancellation and it had a list of terms and condition, (not sure if you have had a look at them) but at a quick look im sure it stated you could cancel and/or change a ticket name.

might be worth a look but as i said not sure if it will help
fingers crossed you get to sort it out

laura
Thanks Laura,

I have the summary booking from them and it is only two pages with the dates of holiday and flights etc but I am sure is wrong as they have us coming back a day earlier then booked. I have queried this numerous times but still have not received a reply. On the second page it says there will be a charge for cancellation or changing the names on the tickets but they said they cannot do it and said it is because of the way it has been booked by them?

I have just called their complaints department and at first he said he had no record of my complaint but then proceeded to find it and said they have until the 25th August to reply to us and will be in touch as soon as they can but we are supposed to be flying out on 6th october so I am sure they will drag it out as long as they can.

The airline said there would be no issue with refunding the flights as the tickets had not been used and they are sure they will be able to fill the seats.

The travel law solicitor is on holiday until the 11th August so I will just need to wait which is driving me up the wall.

thanks again
hi, sandra, by them admiting they have booked it a certain way that does not allow you to change a name, isnt this them admiting they have made a mistake.

i know it seems like your hitting your head againt a brick wall, but i hope you get it sorted out, we have always been quiet lucky with our holiday booking apart from one with Golden sun who went bust 8 weeks before our holiday, and we had to pay for a whole new holiday and fight for our money back.

heres hoping it gets sorted out for you, lets us know what the outcome is, wish i could be more help

laura
Thank you Laura this is the first time I have ever had a problem with a travel agent and I hope it is the last. We have always been really lucky as well. We even booked our wedding abroad and the travel agent rep organised a few extras that we did not ask for or pay for it was simple things but it made a difference. I only regret using this this travel agent but it will be the last and I am determined to get something sorted as I am not throwing away £3200 pounds as our insurance does not cover this and it is Gold insurance we have.

I will let you know as soon as we hear anything.

Thanks again.

sandra
Ok, you've booked through a First Choice Travel Agent, but whats the tour operator they have used to make your booking? Becuase it may help if you read the operators terms and conditions in the brochure to see where you stand with amendments or cancellations.
You need to read the tour operators terms.
Entry requirements for China are on the Foreign Office website HERE

As for the vaccinations, the only people who can advise you as to your family's requirements are your GP or practice nurse, who will check your immunisation records against Health Department advice. Measles, mumps and rubella are in the MMR vaccine administered to all children, so that's three less. As for the rest, much may depend upon where in China you are going.

I would prefer to take the advice of my doctor than CNN. Things might not be as bad as you think.

Peter
Measles, mumps and rubella are in the MMR vaccine administered to all children, so that's three less.

On the other forum where the OP posted the same query (at the link signposted in fwh's post above) she makes it clear that her children have not received the MMR or any of the other vaccinations (eg Polio) routinely administered to the vast majority of children during infancy. I too would prefer to take the advice of my doctor but on this issue the OP has already decided not to have her children immunised on the grounds she sets out in the other thread.

SM
Hi beccafcr

Thanks for replying.

The flights are through Emirates but there is two ways you can book through them one is called public and the other netfare. I called Emirates and they said if First Choice booked through the public way we could be refunded in full as the tickets had not been used or re-routed to another destination and pay the difference if there was any. First Choice booked through Netfare the other division they have a contract with. Two people at Emirate who were very helpful and could not do enough read through the terms and conditions for Netfare and when it came to the CANCELLATION/REFUND paragraph it was blank so they would not advise anymore but gave me there direct number but it keeps going to answer phone and I have left several messages.

The hotel is with a company called Gold I have not contacted them yet and do not have a brochure as she had none left in the shop but I am sure I have seen it online and will try them but need to get through to NetFare first.

Emirates employees said if there was not refund or ticket transfer with the terms and conditions with first choice they should have advised us of this on the booking and there was no difference in the price between the two departments and the online price was also the same so there was no savings to be had on this.
Peter of York

Thank you for taking the trouble to read this.

My children have had all their injections apart from the MMR. there were two reasons they never got it, one because of the the hype about autism and they are allergic to something in it. Yes in hindsight I should have done my own homework first but just took the TA word for it that they did not require any injections but I did tell her they had not had all their injections and if they needed anything at all including tablets them I was not willing to take them and would have used the same budget to go elsewhere so she would not have been loosing out on any commission. Every other travel agent i have used issued a leaflet on the country with visa and health recommendations and I have never had a problem in the past
The responsibility of checking for visa's vaccine is not the Travel Agent but the customer. When I receive any info now from my TA it always states that I this responsibility is mine. I accept this without reservation.
A lot of young people work in TA and how can you expect them to know what vaccine visa etc in needed for very Country.
Your flights will have been booked this way because it is much less expensive. If I book a flight which has got the conditions Emirates are telling you ie cancellation etc then it would cost probably half as much again.
Nearly every ticket we buy today has got restrictions on it but because of the economics of it we nearly all chose to go for the less expensive option.

Sue
Sue

You may have misread but the Emirates Netfare, Public price and internet price was all the same a total of £1800 for 2 adults and 2 children there was no difference in cost no matter which of the three areas you picked to order from. If I had called Emirates direct or ordered over the internet I WOULD have been able to cancel and get a full refund. Emirates NETFARE is what First Choice used and there TERMS & CONDITIONS for CANCELLATIONS are BLANK so what does that mean is it down to First Choice descretion to refund?

I have never received confirmation of my order about flights or hotel accommodation and on the booking summary the return flight details are wrong.

I have travelled all over with Hayes & Jarvis, Thomson, Thomas cook and have always been given a schedule, confirmation by post, updates by post etc etc. I have also been given a summary of the place we are visiting with details on Visa, Health, Innoculations, and places to visit.

With First Choice I have been given two badly photcopies bits of paper which the wrong return date and this is called a booking summary and yes on the second page it has a paragraph

"I accept the details above are correct, timings are provisional and reservations are subject to each operator's written confirmation and booking conditions. Charges may apply of I cancel or amend by booking".

I did not sign this as the dates were wrong and she could not reprint and advised they would send us an amended copy and confirmation. I have had nothing.

thanks

sandra
My children have had all their injections apart from the MMR.

Apologies, on the basis of your post in the other forum

I have had the Hep A, Hep B tentuas, Polio, yellow fever etc etc but would not give these to a minor.

I assumed that you were also saying that your children had not been immunised against Polio or Tetanus on the grounds that you wouldn't give them to a minor and further presumed that you would probably not have had them immunised against Diptheria either. If they had all their other injections etc apart from the MMR then they will have been immunised against Polio, Diptheria and probably Tetanus too. As it's only the MMR they haven't had, have you explored with your GP the option of them having this done separately with the single vaccines and whether this will make a difference re whatever it is they are allergic to in the combined MMR?

SM
What does it say on the First Choice brochure about cancelling or changing regarding flights. If Emirates are say you could cancel the flights then why can't they do this for you.
I would suspect that you have not been ticketed at this stage.
I have just changed some flights Booked for a cruise to New Zealand and Australia with Celebrity. Celebrity were using Qantas for the flights. I had to travel Leeds/Bradford to Heathrow then fly to Singapore - Sydney -Auckland
I found there was a flight with Singapore Airways direct from Manchester to Singapore and then direct to Auckland.
I asked Celebrity if they could book me on those flights. They said no as they don't have a contract with SIA. I then decided that I would just do cruise only and book my own flights. I am staying in Singapore for 2 nights to break up the journey.
I have always been able to get the cruise company to book me on whatever flight I wanted. In this case purely to do the paper work they charged me £35 to amend my booking. I booked my flights through a Consolidator on the advice of my TA as she would have to charge me and also not be able to get me flights at the same price.

Why I ask the question is that I am pretty sure that FC will only ticket you once it is nearer to the time. Have you asked Emirates if they have confirmed flights for you?

Sue
Thanks Sue,

I have just called Emirates and they have sent confirmation of the flight bookings to First Choice but not issued the tickets yet as these are done nearer the date. I asked again about cancellations and the operator said there would be no issue with cancelling them but we would need to pay a fee which I do not mind but she said all the Travel Agent had to do was submit a cancellation form to them and they would refund the money but at the end of the day it is down to the travel agent.

First Choice brochures and online form says there may be a fee for cancelling or amending holidays. All I want to do is amend my holiday to somewhere else, I am not asking them for my money back and then going to another travel agent but the more it goes on the less I want to deal with them.

I hope you enjoy your holiday my friend has just used Emirated to fly to Austrialia for a months holiday. They are a good company to deal with and I just wish I had done this direct instead of through First Choice.

Thanks

Sandra
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.