Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
network coverage
13 Posts
Had no problem with our Vodafone when we go
thinking back was on O2 first time plenty of coverage

forgto to add free WiFi in Camel bar last time we were there
Thanks Gray,i ordered an o2 card to use.
We are going to the Conrad,it's our first time so we don't know where anything is,we will also be looking for a bar that will be showing the Rangers game(not a rangers supporter just want them to win as they are Scottish).
Any help or advice welcome.
Thanks

Garry
I used payg on orange and also t mobile on contract. The prices for charges in Egypt are very very expensive. I used £50 in a week last year. So just check before you go.
just checked with Voda (my provider)

1.64 per minute to make or recieve a call
35p per text
We use Virgin in this country but have no problem whatsoever getting coverage on arrival in Egypt.
Damned expensive though!!!
Hi,i've not long come back from sharm and used my o2 payg it was £1 per minute and 25p to send an mms cheaper than an sms and you get to send a pic and a longish message.Hope this helps regards Hassie :cheers
We have just returned from Sharm (1st May) and we were advised by the locals to buy an egyptian sim... so we purchased a Vodaphone sim card from the shop in our hotel but there were many shops around Namma and Old sharm which you could purchase these from.

Using the Egyptian sim card (which was accepted in our phone as it was open to all networks) calls back to the uk were only 50p per min as opposed to £2 per min on our english pay as you go phones and the hotel phones.

So although we had to pay out for the sim card it was worth the difference in call prices! I would highly recommend anyone visiting egypt to do this.. there is only one problem... to top up the phone you need to get someone who speaks arabic to do it as the top up line doesnt speak in english... however one of the people at the reception in our hotel helped... and another day one of our tour guides helped!! :)
Thanks for your replies everyone. Got an o2 sim card so will put that in my phone and top it up. It is only for emergencies so hopefully it won't get used.
Thanks again
Garry
Hi briar,all checked and ready to go,1 more sleep :)

Garry
Egyptian sim card are far the cheapest way to phone and text back to uk as long your phone is unlock to take Egyptian sim card
You will perhaps have to check if using your mobile to phone the UK that they wont get charged or for txting as well. My daughter used a cyprus sim, and when she txt me cheap from cyprus, i got a huge bill for texting her back! Which would have been free if using her own sim.
Between us we've used various networks at the Conrad and always had a signal.

Have a fantastic holiday Garry! I'm dead jealous! ;)

Pippy :cheers
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.