General Holiday Enquiries, Hints and Tips

General Holiday Enquiries? Got General Hints & Tips? Post Them Here.
First of all work out your budget, we have been to quite a few good AIs now but budget will affect your choices.
The food is also important. Many do English style breakfasts, some do fresh pancakes every morning but the pancake mixtures are not the same! In the caribbean the pancakes are more like cakes.
The meals can look the same but can be cooked different. We stayed in a Fiesta in Ibiza with fantastic food and we had lunch in another in the chain, however the hotel catered for a majority of Germans and although the food on the counters looked the same it was, to us, greasy and foul tasting!
You need to check the reviews for this sort of thing.
What will also affect your choice is the beach: you say you want sand and there are Sandy beaches available in the Med, Sharm and the Caribbean but the sand is different. Also some of the countries allow private beaches and some don't, some of the hotels are "on" the beach and some are "near".
We love the beach and look for hotels which have their own beach bars - implies more security!
Having found your beach you then have to take into account the water conditions. In Bayahibe we had a few big waves but not for long, however on the other coasts the waves are better for body boarding, but naturally the conditions are rougher, as they were in Mexico on a couple of occasions. There is always the pool for these so look for a large pool with plenty of shade available for the kids.
At the Playa Pesquero in Cuba they have a massive pool with large areas suitable for the small kids but the shaded areas were the first to go so you had to reserve those!
You will also find that some hotels offer free child places, your one year old will be a modest charge as they sit on your lap on the plane, I think we paid £60 for my grandson to go to Cuba and less to go to Egypt, however the 3 year old comes out at nigh on adult prices with most TOs. My grandson reached the age of 3 and we were getting silly quotes last year for the Caribbean, one hotel was actually £180 dearer for 2 adults and a 3 year old than it was for 3 adults in the same room and they tried justifying it.
Eventually I went to the caribbean warehouse just to see what they recommended and offered. They offered plenty of advice, did not pressurise me and did me a deal for my grandson where they had to charge me full price for the plane seat but only a very modest sum for the hotel. I do know that we saved a lot of money compared to the cheapest price we could get from a main TO and we had the same holiday.
So for choices:
Turkey, some good AIs with sandy beaches but you have to check the reviews as the bad AIs are often described the same as the good ones in the brochures.
Benidorm has a couple of very good AIs at the top end of the market but the beach is public and some way away.
Ibiza - only one I stayed in was the Fiesta Hotel Tanit which has a public sandy beach attached and still gets good reviews outside the high season.
Sharm El Sheik - many good AIs although we have only stayed at the Conrad and LTI Grand Azure, which are among the best there and have attached sandy beaches. Access to the Coral reef is easier at the Conrad although the cooked to order Pizzas and skewered meat on the beach at the LTI were to die for.
Dom Rep - only been to the Iberostar Hacienda Dominicus at Bayahibe which may be a bit far from the airport, although it has a nice sandy Caribbean beach and bar in a lighthouse.
Cuba - only stayed at the Playa Pesquero near Guardalavaca. Very large pool area meant there was always space and sunbeds although the shaded areas were not always available. Bars soft and hard drinks - everywhere. Ice cream parlour near the beach. Bar and restaurant on the beach, nice sandy Beach with few waves. There are two other cheaper hotels on the same beach, funnily enough they have softer sand and they always get good reviews as well.
Mexico - only been once - to Gran Bahia Principe Coba which is part of a large collection of hotels you have full access to requiring buses to get around. The Coba is away from the beach but it also means it is quieter and pool beds and shade were always available. A couple we befriended at the pool had the same mix as you and they got on the buses all the time. They ate morning and night at the different hotels and had a great holiday. The pre cooked hotel buffet food was always cold though for some reason.

Don't forget plane journey and transfer times at each end as they may be important to you - nappies etc! We have always been lucky as the adults outnumber the kids and so we can split the duties and still get a bit of peace.

As well as the reviews check the forums for relevant threads on the hotel as well, as many points are raised in them that do not get into the reviews.
hi honey and welcometo HT :wave:

I cant comment on any longer haul destinations but we have done a fair few A/Is within europe and as you may know its always difficult to find a decent A/I that isnt stuck in the middle of nowhere . We are big fans of Turkey and in particular Olu Deniz where you will find 3 excellent A/Is right in the centre of this stunning resort . Could be just what your after as its a medium sized compact resort with plenty of shops,resturants and bars . the main Belcekiz beach whilst beautiful to look at is not particularly suited to children but that beach leads round to the lagoon area which would more than satisfy your childrens needs . http://www.thomson.co.uk/destinations/europe/turkey/turkey-dalaman/olu-deniz/holidays-olu-deniz.html. . have a good look at the reviews here on the Belcekiz beach hotel(only available via portland/thomson) club sun city and olu deniz resort hotel. We have stayed at the sun city and the BB so feel free to ask any questions but i pronmise you you will not be disappointed .

hope that helps
lyn
Flamingo oasis at benidorm has everything you have asked for. :D look at the reviews plus they have a website we have been 3 times and plan to go back.
Hi

I would say that as your little ones are 3 and 1 i would limit yourself to no more than 4 hours flying which still gives you plenty of choice - spain,greece,turkey,cyprus and canary islands.

Unless you buy a seat for your 1 year old you will have to have them on your lap and about 4 hours is about the maximum flight time i could cope with a wriggly 1 year old on your lap.

We have been to lanzarote,fuerteventura and cyprus and found them all to be very family friendly but our particular favourite is lanzarote.

Another thing to be aware of is that alot of all inclusive hotels can be set outside resort areas and there are not many restaurants/bars nearby so if that is importent to you when you find a hotel you like check exactly where in the resort it is!! :cheers

Let us all know if you decide on anywhere and dont hesitate to ask for any advice :wave:
Hi Honey

We always do All Inclusives now, as they are such good value and now with the £ euro rate as it is they are now even better value ;) We are heading back to Hotel Don Pedro Cala San Vicente in Majorca at the end of next month, very quiet, peaceful and relaxing.

Last year we went to Hotel Corfu Marina, in Cala Egos(Cala D'Or) Majorca and had a great time, hotel facilities very good on its own beach and cove which it shares with its sister hotel on the other side of the cove Hotel Skorpios(you can use your AI wristband in there too). Meals were excellent, snacks during day also excellent and no big ques to get drinks. Outside enetertainment stage and some good shows on (Queen tribute band very good), Two swimming pools and safe environment for the kids, Hotel room size plenty big enough satellite TV, fridge and hotel well furnished throughout. Just around the corner are plenty of bars, shops and a nice 15 minute walk to the Marina. Check out the reviews and the hotels homepage.

Have a good holiday :)
We always opt for AI these days, it really is the way to go with children and as has been said with the exchange rate as it is I'm very glad we're doing it again this year! I think the thing is to look at your budget and start looking, the FC website is very good for getting quotes quickly and easily and other than recommendations is a good way to start narrowing down to things you fancy. Once you have a short list, then research very carefully and your list will probably dwindle.

Because the children are so young, consider what the temperature will be, somewhere like Egypt for example in August will probably be far too hot. Also I would agree from experience that you need to limit your flight time- having the one year old on your knee is the most economical option but you couldn't do longhaul like that.

We've done AI in Ibiza (San Miguel beach club- lovely, not a lively resort, but it depends exactly what you are after), Majorca (Saturno complex in Alcudia, very busy, not really our cup of tea, but lots like it) Bulgaria (Albena, very nice, reasonable and plenty to walk around in the evenings) Mexico (fabulous, but not for tiny ones) and we are off to Turkey this year.

I think the key word is research, AI is only economical if the hotel and food are good, otherwise you will pay again going outside of it. I'm sure you will find something to suit. Have fun looking and have a great time.

Pam :)
Hi Honey

I have stayed at the Belcekic Beach Hotel in Olu Deniz that Lyn mentioned that has most of the things that you list.

The larger Greek Islands, Crete, Corfu and Rhodes will have AI's as well. Do check reviews mainly for the quality of food and the location, also check for sandy beaches as in Greece and Turkey they are often sand & shingle and can be a disappointment. AI's are often isolated, so nowhere to walk to of an evening.

You don't say which month you wish to travel, Greece and Turkey may be too hot in July & Aug for a 3&1 year old. If that is when you want to go I would concentrate on the Baleriacs. I personally wouldn't go long haul with a one year old on my lap for 9 or 10 hours, although they would travel for a nominal charge.

Doe :sun2
Wow, thank you all for your replies - much appreciated. I am off to check out all you recommended.
No matter who you book through you will have to factor in the extra costs of "sitting together" which is a nice little earner for the tour ops. As there are three of you, on long haul the probable place you will end up is the middle so you can do Mum and Dad on the outside and the kids on the seat between. Short haul are often 3 at each side, but it all depends on the seat configuration of each plane. One you have a destination in mind you could check the planes which are used on the route as there are plane buffs on the site.

Meanwhile, I forgot the best tip we were given for A/I. We were heading for a Turkish Hotel which featured as one of the original Holidays from Hell, but a tripper visited just before us and offered the following simple advice.
Don't join the queue straight away, but have a good look round at everything first.
We had a fantastic holiday, and have used it ever since.
Basically what happens is that everyone piles through the door and sees a queue so they join it. They then meander along grabbing plates and putting food on them until they reach the end where normally someone is cooking fresh meat or eggs, so the queue waits (while the rest of the food goes cold). Eventually there is nowhere left to queue so they look for somewhere to sit whilst balancing three plates of now cold food! Lots of complaints ensue about the poor food!

What we did is check every offering out and decide on a meal. Having decided on a meal then plan the best way to get it back to the table hot. Normally this entails waiting in the queue for the selected freshly cooked main ingredient, but if you like soup, you can get a bowl and decide on the meal options and best course through the buffet area whilst sitting down and eating the hot soup. As soon as the main ingredient is on board flit from planned dish to planned dish to pick up the accessories, which have still been in the heating pans. Meanwhile as you are coming from the front of the Queue backwards there is normally space to fit in but most people don't object to you getting a spoonful of Veg or chips. You then go to the table with a nice hot fresh meal. Afterwards go back and get the pudding.
You may think this is obvious behaviour, but I have lost count of the number of people I have seen trying to carry a bowl of soup, overstacked plate of dinner and a dish of ice cream or fruit, all in one go, most of which then goes uneaten!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.