Turkey Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Turkey.
Hi there,

I can't comment on your hotel, not been there, but, and this is my personal opinion, but I don't think that £ 500 would be nearly enough for 4 people for a fortnight.

Taking into account price of cokes and fanta's etc that the kids will be going through, as for the price of meals they range form simple kebabs at around £ 2.50 or so to meals going up the hill for £ 6.oop and £ 7.oop and more in some cases.

So if you say 1 main meal per day at approx £15.oop that comes out at £ 210.oop. that's without snacks etc that you are going to want during the days.... and we have'nt even mentioned you having the odd drink or 2.

:wink: Kev :wink:
Hi ive never been to the aparts either but im sure somebody will be able to give you some info,i really dont think £500 will be enough but as you said being a single parent it must be hard when planning a great holiday for the children.There are a couple of burger kings,i dont know how you feel about those meals but they are quite cheap.Theres also a couple of large supermarkets you can buy snacks for during the day,and if you have cooking facilities a wide range of food.When we had a apartment with 2 rings we actually managed to cook spag bol which the children loved.
Will you be going on any trips as that will bump your spending a bit as well,but go to operators along the sea front that will give you special offers for children.
If you love shopping beware you can spend a fortune there a well but watch your weight limit.
Hope you have a lovely time anyway
we spent about £800 last year for 2 adults and 2 kids for 2 weeks, but that was being careful ,not going on trips and i dont drink, and staying in a resort called akyaka which is a lot cheaper to eat out than marmaris and staying in our own apt so that helped as we bought food to eat there sometimes. i would suggest avoiding eating on the main strip in marmaris where prices are higher and eating where the turks eat in the old town area, also try and barter and see if you can get any of the kids to eat free this sometimes works. this is where all incs come into their own you save a lot of money with children at them wanting all the time. we have just spent £600 last week for 3 of us on holiday in slovenia for 6 nights gulps that was a lot dearer than we expected
You did well Karen. :D

Where ever I go on a self-catering holiday I seem to need about £100 a day, after all that's only £25 per person. This is for 2 adults and 2 children and we are not heavy drinkers, but that would be eating out for at least two meals a day, drinks, snacks, ice creams paying for sunbeds & umbrellas, plus three or four trips. We are not great ones for buying souvenirs.

I guess as Turkey is a 'cheap' destination you may get away with less.
Perhaps take a limited amount in cash and then have a card for back-up.

Have a great time.

Doe :D
We stocked up with cheap drinks from the super market and insisted the kids went into apartment if they wanted a drink as believe me you can end up spending a fortune on Fanta and water.Ice cream also cheaper at super market.
Also large packets of crisps fill them up which are quite cheap, just try not to buy to much at hotel bar as it mounts up with out you noticing.
Pay for things as you get them as they usually like you to pay at the end of the week or day that way you will know were you are up to.

The kids kicked up a fuss as they cant be bothered but they soon got used to it.
Make sure they have a breakfast before they hit the pool, even if its only toast, plate of chips and a butty is suficient for lunch snack.
Shop around for evening meal for best deal, you tend to get large portions which the kids waste so share one between two, nobody cares as long as you are spending something, have a great holiday, let us knoe how you get on.
Here's a link for reviews on the Appartments,http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/turkey/dalaman-region/marmaris/saffron-apartments/
I think that £500 is enough as long as you Budget carefully, If your taking sterling with you to exchange for Turkish lira look around for the best currency rate in order to get the best rate you will have to go to Icmeler on the Dolmus ask the driver to let you off at the Wonderboys bar&restauraunt here you will get the best rate for sterling, Dont buy food or drinks at the comfort stop coming from Dalaman Airport to Marmaris as these are very expensive you will be offered 2 small bottles of cold water on the bus for £1 Tip stick a 2 litre of Juice in your case open the case before you leave Dalaman take the juice out, Remember also Marmaris is only 45 minutes away from where you will stop, Use large supermarkets not the small ones that are everywhere, All bars/Restauraunts have different prices check them carefully, I would make my own Breakfast as Bacon and Sausauge arent that good in Turkey, For your lunch again look around you will find Chicken/Doner kebabs with Salad and Chips for about 4 Lira, For dinner use the set meals that most restauraunts serve if they dont advertise it in the Restauraunt just ask them if they have it im sure the reply will be yes, What you find in Marmaris is that they all use different prices everywhere depending on the time of year, If you use the Dolmus (minibus) make sure you only pay half your fare for the children eg yours is 1.5 lira the kids will be 750, eg for the 4 of you to travel price will be 3.75 lira, You dont really have to hire the Saftey deposit boxes eithier just use one of your suitcases useing a lock, Air condition you might need but remember the unit is nearly always placed in the Kitchen of the appartment rendering it useless in the bedroom, Buy the 5 literes of water plastic cannisters as you will need them as in July temperatures can rise to 50 degrees, If any of your kids burn easily can I suggest you buy Piz baun sun cream factor 30 all day long you can buy this from Asda for £6, When leaving Marmaris to go to Dalaman make up sandwiches with local bread and meat etc etc as Buying anything at Dalaman Airport will cost you an arm and a leg,lol. hope this helps
I personally would use a safe,i think its money worth spent on the safety of your money/passports.A suitcase is so easy to pick up and go and would end up a disaster on your hols 8)
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.