America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
HB

We done New Year's Eve in New York in 2002, & on a personal note, we would never do it again.

You need to arrive in Times Sq approx 4:00 pm.

When you arrive, you go into a "pen" of barricades and you can't leave also there's no sitting down, if you do leave, (to go to the toilet) you are not allowed back in, holding your bladder for 8-9 hours in the cold in a crowd is not very pleasant

It is extremely crowded and you don't have the luxury of walking around.

The temperature when we visited was below minus, so I would dress for extreme cold and remove coats or sweaters as needed.

Since 9/11, they have not allowed people to carry in backpacks so leave your bags in your hotel room.

If you really want to visit New Year In New York, I would suggest you reserve a hotel room with a view that overlooks Times Square.

Please, don't be put of by my comments, the excitement, atmosphere & adrenaline is fantastic, & if you observe the above points, I'm sure you will have a great time.

Driver02
Thanks Driver.

Have you got any suggestions for a hotel with a good view?
HB

I think Novatel, has a pretty good view from what I remember, If you type Novatel in your browser, when the site comes up, look to see if they are still located in New York, If so try emailing them before booking.

BTW, are you thinking of taking chuldren with you.

Driver02
I will definately have a look at that website - thanks. Yes, we are taking are son who will be 13.
HB

If you are lucky to get a hotel room with a view over Times Sq, that should be OK, For New Years Eve, most rooms with a view are booked well in advance, we was unlucky.

If you were thinking of taking your son into Times Sq, I would give this some serious consideration.

When we was there, we saw families with children & when midnight struck, some of the children was screaming, due to the crowds getting excited, it's was a very intimidating situation for children to be in.

I am not trying to put you of your trip by any means, just trying to give you as much advice to make your trip enjoyable.

P.S. we did not stay at the Novatel Hotel, I just remember seeing it from where we was situated.

Driver02
Have you got any advice about central park - i have heard there is a firework display at midnight?
HB

Although during our visit, we took a horse & carriage round Central Park, we did not visit on New Years Eve.

With all the fireworks going off on New Years Eve, it was difficult to see which direction they was coming from.

Driver02
Thanks for all the advice - appreciated greatly.
HB

Your welcome, any further advice, just ask

Have a great trip

Driver02
Hey Driver..

Perhaps you can answer my question?

(i have asked this in a few other threads, so apologies if youve seen this b4!!)

What about getting into bars on NYE? Ive been told all bars and clubs operate a 'High entrance fee....free bar'.

Do ALL bars do this? i dont wanna spend all nite in one place and was hoping for a bit of a pub crawl!!!

Nice doogie!
Rocko

It all depends on what part of New York you are planning on spending New Years Eve in.

A pub-crawl in & around Times Sq would be out of the question, if you consider the popularity of this event, also the added security measures, it would be virtually impossible to move between several locations freely.

When we spent New Years Eve in Times sq, several pubs did operate a "High Entrance Fee" + a free bar, we did no pay the asking fee.

If you consider the usual "Tourist Locations" around Times Sq etc, something for you to consider, may be a trip out on the subway to one of the neighbourhoods may be a better option, more entertaining & less populated.

Driver02
Thanks Driver02.

We are stopping across form the Empire States Building, so plan to stay pretty near to there...as dont fancy walking miles home....drunk...in the cold!!

Just as long as we can get in a few pubs...thats all we are bothered about.

Thanks a lot mate.
hi, looking to go to new york for new year. Can anyone help with who is the best to fly with and accomodation please.
i have been looking but i dont know what accomodation would be best.

thanks
Which area do you want to stay in? How much are you willing to pay per night? Does breakfast have to be included in the price?
We will be in New York for New Year and wondered if anyone can recommend anything 'special' for us to do. We have been advised to try to avoid Times Square, and maybe try to book something before we go. Any suggestions ? Thanks in Advance. :thanks
Yep avoid times square absolutely over rated!!!! head to Spring St/Bleaker St, in Greenwich Village a few nights before & get tickets for a bar much better
Hi, Hope someone can help... I am planning a trip to New York for New year. I went there previously 4 years ago, however Times Square was packed by about 6pm... as I am only over there for 4 days.. I was hoping someone could recommend something to do on New year's eve other than spend over 6 hours standing in the street waiting for the count down...

thanks!
I'd recommend going to Amsterdam for New Year instead! Much less crowded but you can have a fabulous time. If you want to go to bars it's easy to get served. The Dutch pour out onto the street to see in New Year but watch out for the firecrackers going off everywhere - it's nuts :)
we went at new year and went to webster hall a brilliant club with different floors with different kinds of music on each, bar was included, but I won it as part of a prize but noticed people queueing to get in (it was bitterly cold), I know you can pre book tickets for this just google webster hall and it could be an option, we had a fab night and loads of party bits were free for all inc masks, streamers, hats, wands etc , good luck in finding omething but I would def avoid times square too :shock: its a nightmare
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.