Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi carbel . im a dive widow too. Im now very used to being left . I used to hate it when i was just left with younger son because he whinged and moaned the whole day but now he dives too its heaven. I have never ever been hassled in sharm aound the pool. Although we have only stayed at the hilton in sharks bay, what hotel are you staying in?? what i can say is that most hotels have dive centres on site and if they are on a course or diving from the house reef or speed boat you will find that they disappear for a couple of hours in the morning , come back for a few hours for a few sunbed hours then back out again after lunch around 2.30. if they are going on the big boat they will be picked up around 8am and you wont see him for the whole day. :( unless of course you want to go too. :D

lyn
I can only speak from the hotel where i go which is the Sonesta beach resort about a 30 mins stroll from the centre of Naama bay.

Whether it is the beach or the pool there is no hassle, you will see staff trying to sell excursions or the health club, but a polite no is suffice. We see a lot of singles on the beach and by the pool, no problems at all.

The Oonas dive club caters for a lot of English, so therefore English speaking, we have been friends with them for 4 years, you can just wander off the beach or pool and relax, have something to eat or drink, the diver club is situated at the top of the beach next to the sonesta beach resort.

You can also rent their own rooms out as well and they get the flights for you from their website if you didnt want to pay full whack for hotels. To go to the Oonas it isnt just for divers anyone can go and stay there or anyone can use the facilities, especially gaze at the stars at night with a drink and chill with a shisha pipe , overlooking the bay from their roof top bar.
Don't worry at all. Been to Egypt two years running (Three Corners St. George and Three Corners Kiroseiz)

My husband started to learn to dive the first year (so he was away most of the day learning - not every day of course). I thought being by the hotel pool was the safest place - and it certainly was (you get to know so many people anyway). I'm not afraid to venture to the beach now either (using the hotel bus - safe as houses there and back). Obviously they have the usual people speaking to you only to sell their trips/massages etc (but with this hotel they don't ask for ANY money) they only ask for your hotel room. They also love to practice their English - they are lovely people. Nobody hassles you who works for the hotel - it would be more than their jobs' worth. Tell your husband there is absolutely nothing to worry about, enjoy, we have to wait until August before we go again, I'm so jealous.
  • Edited by Dawntra 2007-09-17 12:26:17
Thanks everyone for your replies. It is reassuring to know that I will feel quite safe while the other two are off diving. Just need to decide which hotel to book now!! Any suggestions gratefully received.

Carolyn
Carbal -
As with a lot of resorts where diving is one of the key activities, you will find as the other posters say there are plenty of "dive widows" whilst we not going sharm, my OH has been "billy no mates" for several years now and never has a problem
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.