UK and Ireland Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the UK and Ireland.
NORTH WALES
37 Posts
Think you mean Pwllheli!

Depends on the weather but in Llandudno there is the tram or chairlift up the Great Orme and there are children's activities (slide / bouncy castle) on the pier. The Welsh Mountain Zoo http://www.welshmountainzoo.org at Colwyn Bay is worth a visit. Conwy Castle is near. Also Bodnant Gardens if you like that sort of thing. Not sure what you do if it rains (it sometimes does in March!!!)

Don't know the Haven site but I think there are posts on it further down on this board "Hafan-y-Mor (Haven)" about page 4/5.
Betws-y-Coed is beautiful for a ride out, it`s a lovely village with a few gift shops and a couple of cafes, and the surrounding area is gorgeous. The slate caverns at Llechwdd are also worthy of a visit, but you need to allow yourself plenty of time if you want to see all of it. Also, although it is a bit pricey, a trip up Mount Snowdon is to be recommended, but no good going on a bad weather day, as the train won`t be running.
Hi Lockwood

You may find the NWT website HERE useful.

Pippy :D
Abersoch is a few miles further down the coast from Pwhelli, There are fabulous beaches there and it's a great little place. More English than Welsh, though - full of wealthy people with BMWs and boats,
The Haven site at Pwhelli is immense - not stayed there but driven around it. Seems to be loads to do but I recommend a couple of days out visiting Abersoch and Nefyn (on the north coast of the Lleyn Peninsula).

Lovely area with great beaches - enjoy!
Llandudno is a lovely old fashioned sea-side resort although I should imagine it might be a bit chilly in March!

If your 3yo is an adventurous personality then he will love the copper mine on the Great Orme. It's half way up and the tram stops just outside. We took my little one down when she was 2.5 and she loved it. There is also a lovely children's farm at the other end of Llandudno: http://www.bodafonfarmpark.co.uk/

In the middle of town is the Alice in Wonderland museum. Bit naff for adults but children love it:
http://www.wonderland.co.uk/

Another activity that my children love come rain or shine is crabbing on the quay at Conwy which is a couple of miles down the road. You can buy a cheap bucket and crabbing hook etc on the quay but remember to buy a cheap pack of value bacon from the supermarket on the way down! I never thought I would see my two sitting quietly for hours concentrating on their hooks but it is completely beyond their normal capabilities. Also in Conwy is the castle which again is a lovely place to visit.
Thanks magster :D your tips are greatfully received, we look forward to seeing these places. im glad theres lots to do as id heard its the elderly capital of the world(llandudno)
thanks again. :wink:
Lockwood, yes there are a lot of elderly people in Llandudno but there are an equal number of families. My two have travelled all over Europe but they still adore their annual week in Llandudno.

Have a lovely holiday.
Me again! You might want a recommendation for food. See my post under this topic:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/viewtopic.php?p=577265&highlight=#577265
tahnks for help folks. not long to go now :D
that is thanks not tahnks :roll:
hope you have a nice time,when you come to llandudno,lockwood.
the weather here, is abit cold & wet,at the minute.hope it improves for you.
how about,going up the orme,to the ski slope?you could take your son,on the toboggan,i'm sure he'd love going on it,with you.you don't have to go fast,you control the speed.fantastic views up there,especially,if the weathers nice.
hope you enjoy it here,
tracy
that would be be great tracy 99 as my son loved watching the toboggan etc on the winter olympics in turin last month. i know thats a different kettle of fish (speed and all) but it sounds great fun thanks. :D
it is fun! & itl'l probably,be you, being over cautious,with the speed & your 3 yr old,yelling to go faster :)
anyway,enjoy your stay
tracy
thanks folks,weve just had a fab holiday in north wales. we firstly stayed in llandudno which we think is beautiful and we will definately visit again soon, it has a touch of elegance like torquay but an air of victorian sophistication like scarboruogh only flat. it is a great place to visit and to stay.we enjoyed visits to the great orme,welsh mountain zoo and carnarvan castle. my son loved finding shells on the beach at llandudno and at nearby colwyn bay which was equally as nice. we ventured further a field and drove through rhyll and prestatyn, lets just say im glad we didnt stop at rhyll,i thought blackpool was grotty untill i saw rhyll.
the snowdonia area is breathtaking. we went to lanberris into electric mountain which was well worth the money to go into the worlds largest manmade cavern within a mountain to this huge hydro electric powerstation in action. lechwedd slate mines were great too as was the copper mine on the great orme. call me tight but i thought £2.50 was a good price to drive up and around the great orme rather than the £15 to go up the tramway and it was a more scenic route also.we spent time at the piggery pottery near lanberris which to my surprise i enjoyed the most rather than my wife who was the one who wanted to go in the first place. you get a biscuit fired item ranging from piggy banks to lampshades and once paid for you can then paint them at your leisure with paints provided. once dried you then take them home and give a coat of varnish.a fantastic afternoon out at little cost to us parents but lots of fun for the kids and big kids too. we then moved onto pwifellhi and wished wed stayed at llandudno for the rest of the week(see discussion on haven holidays). after visiting portmerrion which was stunning we came home via llandudno and spent our last day there. by the way for a great coffee and a cream cake at little cost visit the national milk bar in llandudno. for a meal at night dont miss home cookin,thanks magster for that tip ,it was reasonably priced and good value for money with huge portions of proper food that you eat rather than look at presentation. north wales is great.
Lockwood, it sounds as though you all had a fantastic time. North Wales is a lovely place and I never tire of it. We're off on Saturday and I can't wait for my first meal at Home Cookin. I'm particularly pleased that you enjoyed your meal there because it's always difficult if you recommend somewhere and then someone doesn't enjoy it!
thanks magster, we had several meals at home cookin and they were great. we had a special mother's day meal which only cost 12.99 each and was a four course meal fit for a king, it was beautiful and my wife was thrilled especially when they gave all the mums a special gift which was a surprise. we had previously tried mediteranean restaurant further up upper mostyn street than home cookin, it was bland and boring and extremely expensive. a bottle of red wine cost £15 but in home cookin the same brand and type cost only £8.50 now thats what i call value for money.
yes llandudno is great and we will return soon. enjoy your holidays magster.
Hiya, this might be too late, but if anyone has a query about North Wales, I live in North Wales capital Caernarfon, so know everything there is to know....

Please dont hesitate to PM me... this site has helped me a lot with planning holidays and I cant wait to give back!!!
Please feel free to exchange info about North Wales here in this thread rather than by PM, so that others do not miss out on important advice and recommendations which might help ensure that they too have a better holiday.

Many thanks
David :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.