Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
Absolutely no contest Celebrity is in the Premium class as well as it being CC class. You have the option of if you don't want to dress for formal nights then you can eat upstairs and they set the tables with cloths and waiter service.
The menu is more limited but it is cooked to order. Personally for me I prefer to dine in the dining room. You would also have the option to dine on your balcony.
You don't say which ship but it may be Century or Galaxy as Summit is doing I think mainly 12 nights.
Princess and RCI would in my humble opinion be better than doing Ocean Village. Get a hold of the Douglas Ward Berlitz Ocean guide and you can get this from the library.
I think that if you go with Celebrity you will not be disappointed. It depends on age and if you want a more lively cruise then RCI would meet your needs. Princess I would place between both.
I will probably get shot down for this but it is just my opinion and if you wanted to save a little money then you could go with a 2A or 2C balcony. Rooms are a little bigger although with Century and Galaxy they would be the same. It depends how much more it is for the CC room and whether you think it is value for money. I enjoyed the CC particularly the breakfast menu although if I want something which is not on the menu I almost always get it like mixed berries etc.

Just don't jump and regret your decision later.

Sue
Absolutely Celebrity, no contest.

luci :wave
Hi folks - thanks for your replies so far - you are definitely backing up my thoughts! :) I just can't believe the price difference. It is the Galaxy which I know is going to be refurbished next year but even the difference in how the brochures are laid out makes me want to go for the Celebrity cruise!
I am 38, hubby is 52...we like hols with good food, history, sight seeing, shopping (of course!!!) and I love the gym and spa treatments..would also like to chill out a bit as would hubby so a private balcony sounds excellent and I guess a cruise holiday ticks all those boxes..and as we get older, our standards get higher! :roll:
I suppose we can pay a deposit (hols with Thomas Cook website) and see what's what as we are booking a year in advance. At least then we can hold the cabin and if we change our mind we could at least pay the admin fee and change our holiday. So might just book this weekend, will discuss with hubby! :)
Keep replies coming though!
Thanks Tinka14
Not sure how you settled on OV or the Galaxy they are totaly different styles of cruising, and there are a few others in between these.

With celebrity you will get more americans and they have a more casual approach smart casual most nights

Not done OV always seem to find better value elsewhere as you have done.

If you can do 10n CC on celebrity for less than 14n on OV go for it.

Don't forget to put up what you plan to see if anyone can find a better deal for you.
Did a T/A on Galaxy last year and yes while she is needing some work I still loved her. I like the Celebrity experience and certainly if you are looking for good food etc you will not be disappointed. She does some really good ports and yes she will be refurbished next spring in the same way that Century was last year she should be in great nick.

I don't think there is any great rush to book other than if you are sure these are the dates you want and you are getting a discount for early booking pretty normal these days and I did have an email from X saying up to £200 for booking by the 31st August. A CC room would give you a better booking probably or it might make no difference. X have recently changed their OBC system and other things. The Eastern Med with the Greek Islands are lovely and I have been to most of the Med Ports now on many occassions but still have my favourites.

I am dead tired as I have the decorators in as well as Grandchildren arriving each am at around 8.30am. The joys of being a GRANNY and a very Happy GRANNY!

Bye for now

Sue
Hi all - yes I did it, booked the Galaxy 10 night Eastern Med cruise next October...in a Concierge Class cabin, looks great! :) got a good deal and now just have to save up.... :roll: Looking forward to seeing Rhodes and Santorini again - I am a Greek island addict...been wanting to visit Mykonos for ages, and yes it was Shirley Valentine that set me off about it! :wink:
Tinka14
You have absolutely made the right decision, and will certainly enjoy. Did not post earlier as others were reflecting my thoughts! The only other thing you need to remember is the severe health warning for cruising.....you will become hooked for life.

We have noticed that apart from the formal nights (you will have 2), where people do make a real effort, the other nights many people go a notch below the recommended dress code. This applies mainly to the informal nights which for men are stated as shirt/tie and jacket....there are not many ties around, and jackets are 50/50. In other words, it is smart casual for many, and there is simply no issue with this, so hubby will be OK!
I am glad to hear that you have opted for the Celebrity and Galaxy. The think to do over the next few months will be to keep an eye on the Celebrity web site and if the price for the cruise part drops then you can get your TA to get this applied to your booking.

If you look at the booking conditions and it is I think no 9 which states that if there is a drop more then 2% then they will apply this to your booking.

When I did Millennium this year I had 3 price drops applied as well as an over 55 discount applied to my booking. Sometimes the very best prices are at the beginning but if a certain grade of room is not selling well then they will offer the reduction. This happened when I booked Century for this October. The very night I booked the price went up again and since this time there have been 2 further price increases. RCI Princess X and Carnival will do so. I have read that whilst Cunard won't they have given people upgrades on their rooms.

I would check the web site regularly but I knew when I booked my Century cruise there would be no further reductions. It didn't stop me checking just to be sure. I loved my time on Galaxy and especially the Waffles for breakfast. I know for sure you have made the right decision and I also love those Greek Islands.

Me right now I hardly have the energy to shower but tomorrow all my visitors will have gone and I can catch up. 11 for dinner yesterday and this is when I realise how old I am!

Look at joining a roll call on Cruise Critic for your actual cruise and you can get all sorts of information on it and a lot of questions answered.

Well done!

Sue
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.