Cruises

Discussions relating to Cruising holidays
103brandy
(28/2/04 22:16)
Reply | Edit | Del All
ezSupporter
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
We arrived at Tampa port at 11am, 2 hours before our allocated checking in time of 1pm.
Our luggage was taken promptly away (have one dollar per piece ready for the tip) and we were directed to check in. No queue at all.
Checked in and were given a boarding number. A band played while we waited the 10 minutes or so until our number was called. We were given champagne as we boarded then went to our stateroom.
We had an outside cabin on deck 6. Very nice it was too.A good size window,a queen size bed, 2 double wardrobes, ample drawer space. satellite and interactive TV, Radio, nice bathroom with toiletries, heaps of fluffy towels and a big shower cubicle. Room service available free on this ship. The ice bucket was regularly refilled( which was nice to put in the drinks we sneaked onboard).

The choice and quality of food was excellent and it remained so throughout the three weeks we were on board. A bonus was the free lemonade. iced tea, fruit punch, water, coffee. various teas and hot chocolate all available 24hours. nice touch. The tea time cakes were to die for. There was frozen youghurt and ice cream available most of the day. Service was faultless.
Drinks were on the expensive side. around £3.60 for a spirit and mixer or a glass of wine. £2.50 for a small beer or cocktail of the day.(15% is added for tips). Bar staff were superb.
Entertainment varied. The resident group Exodus were fantastic as were the dancers. The resident singers in the show lounge were poor. Guest artists were very good.
Ample sun longers and another nice touch was the sorbet parade at 2.30pm.The cold towels were very welcome as we boarded the ship in each port and brought round the sun decks to cool us down.
Having previously cruised on only Thomson's Spirit and Emerald this was a totally new experience for us. Absolutely fantastic. Celebrity were wonderful in every way.

To be continued....
The whole tipping thing in the US especially, but increasingly in Europe, is becoming unrelated to service in some areas. Even if the service is below par, you are still expected to tip, in my opinion, excessive ammounts ! In the case of cruises, we are told the staff rely, to a degree, on the tips as a major part of income. What are you paying for when you buy your ticket if not staff ? The whole thing is becoming absurd ! Tipping should be entirely at the discretion of the customer, and not dictated by the staff members themselves or statements on menus etc which say 20%, 17.5% etc ........

IMHO !
Even when tips are included in the cost of a cruise, you are still advised that you can give additional tips to people who have given exceptional service. I welcome this where someone really has gone out of their way to be helpful or friendly beyond what they are paid to do.

My husband and I disagreed about this on our last cruise. I didn't want to give the cabin steward any extra as he had only carried out the bare minimum in our cabin. Hubby on the other hand didn't want to appear mean. That's the problem with being Scottish, you have to tip twice as much as anyone else to disprove the myth!
The ship itself is simply beautiful - even the more 'basic' cabins (or 'staterooms' as they call them!) are very well fitted. We had a class 7 (of 12) outside cabin midships and it was superior to the 'deluxe' cabin we had had on a Suncruises ship. There was plenty of lighting, one whole wall was mirrored which gave a real feeling of space, there was a hairdryer, sofa, T.V., minibar and phone. The cabin was kept immaculate and was so welcoming to come back to after dinner with the beds turned back, subdued lighting, chocolates on the pillows and a 'goodnight' card telling you tomorrow's weather. The TV was interactive so you could use it to check how much you'd spent, order room service, excursions etc. There were other channels including CNN and a 'view from the bridge' camera. Quite recent films were played on one channel and old American comedies on another - I Love Lucy, Beverley Hillbillies, Dick Van Dyke show etc.!! The shore excursions were showcased on another channel and the port talks were recorded and transmitted too.
The entertainments were wide ranging and I loved the idea of the quiet lounge in the daytime where you could just read and watch the sea go by. The theatre is spectacular, as are the shows. The theatre is no smoking and banked with bench sofas instead of tip up seats - we never had to hunt for a seat and wherever we sat the view and acoustics were good. The classical piano recitals (by Brooks Aehron) were all the more enjoyable for the two huge screens showing his hands on the keyboard. The resident singers and dancers could hold their own in any West End show and the productions were really lavish. A couple of the guest stars were a bit of a let down - a rather eccentric xylophone player and a juggler who needed a bit more practice - but the comedians were hysterical (and clean!) - Adrian Walsh (from Ireland) and Don Gavin (from Boston). I laughed till I cried! The cruise director was charming and polished - so different from the chap on the Sundream last year whose idea of a smooth introduction was to yell ' well, I'm not shouting over you lot, so be quiet'!! - yes, really!!
The choice of eateries was very wide and the 'casual dining' in the evening on Deck 10 was a great idea - still waiter service but tables for two and no dress code. You need to book each day to reserve that. Afternoon tea had the most delicious cakes and gateaux - really 5 * stuff. The menu at dinner in the main restaurant was very ambitious and we felt that sometimes the presentation was superior to the taste. Perhaps they are trying to over-reach themselves with some of the choices given the vast number of people they are trying to cater for at each sitting. Often the vegetables were undercooked to the point of being inedible and we did feel rushed at the end of the meal - dessert trays were often thrust under your nose whilst you were still eating the main course and coffee usually appeared before the desserts!! Also, we had to seat ourselves (don't know if it was just our waiter or whether it was a general thing that waiters didn't appear until diners were seated) - which made it a bit tricky to seat my 80 year old mum comfortably with no one to push in her chair. Actually, I felt the waiting staff on the Sundream last year had been superior in most every respect!! I was surprised that the Constellation waiter reached over me to serve mum - and vice versa when he started my side, when there was no need. Another down side to eating was the 'self' serve' Seaside Grill where you had to reach your plate over to the serving staff - it was a bit too canteen like!! Also, some of the staff didn't have good enough English to explain clearly what the dishes were so it was always a bit of a mystery parcel!! Their logic was that it didn't matter as you could just leave anything you didn't like but I hate wasting food so found that hard to do!
The Baltic ports of call were fascinating and the free shuttle buses run by Celebrity to the city centres were a real bonus for free spirits not wanting to go on organized (and rather costly) trips.
The only other criticisms I have are very minor. The internet was horrendously slow and very expensive, so I only used it twice to dash off an email and paid $9.75 each time for the privilege. Drinks are very dear for shipboard prices (not dear if you look on it as a 5* hotel). Tips are virtually mandatory as there is a suggested amount in the guest directory with the advice that you can give more to reward exceptional service!! (and I thought tips WERE to reward exceptional service!!) Allow an extra $10.25 a day per person on your spending money to cover the basic tips. Finally, their onboard rules seem more honoured in the breach than the observance! - e.g. the over 18s only pool was often occupied by children. This didn't worry me but I thought it strange that it was allowed. Having young children in the late dinner sitting was a bit of a surprise as well and their presence did spoil the ambience, although they were not at all naughty. Allowing children to run around the theatre during shows (and knocking over drinks!) was also surprising - there should have been staff on duty in the auditorium. We did report this at Guest Relations (who arranged free laundering of my drink-soaked clothes!) and thereafter there always seemed to be a staff presence through the shows.
All in all this was an excellent holiday with far more upsides than down!
I'm happy to answer any questions you might have.
Many thanks Daal for your report.

I'm afraid I would rather tips were included in my holiday price. I don't know why but I always feel uncomfortable about tipping someone (probably because I'm not used to it - I don't know) I'm not uncomfortable with leaving 'extra' on the plate that the bill comes on in a foreign restaurant but I think I would definately feel as though I was 'paying a servant' if I had to tip everyone I came in contact with who did me a service.
Hello Daal

Just by coincidence I tripped over this site and noticed your comments over your cruise with the "Constellation". I could'nt help reading:
...A couple of the guest stars were a bit of a let down - a rather eccentric xylophone player...
Well, as I very rarely get comments like this about my show (most of my audiences like what I'm doing), I do estimate your critic and I like, that you openly write your opinion.
Of course it would help me much more, if you could just explain in a few words, what you did'nt like about my show?
Maybe your advices can help me change this or that, so I can even please you with my show, if we ever get "together" again.

Please accept my apologies for this message, but I really would like to know what was so eccentric and "let down" about my act?

Did you see only my act together with the jugglers DUO DILLON and the comedian DON GAVIN on Monday, May 17th? Or did you also see my show on Wednesday, May 12th, together with the vocalist DENISE NOLAN?

Please don't hesitate to write back, I would appreciate it very much. Thank you.

The best regards from Switzerland

Ralph Heid
The Hurricane On The Xylophone
The Magic Power Of Xylophone

Ralph I have removed your address, email and web address as per the T&C's of the site. Please add these details to your profile if you wish members to contact you direct. luci - HT Mod
Hello

Sometimes I ask myself, why do people have the time to criticize something or someone, and if you ask them for a reason, they stay quiet?

Daal, you wrote a lot about your cruise on May 23rd. As I read the part about me, I just wanted to know, why or what you did'nt like about my show. I asked you this on June 30th in this forum, I even send you a personal message.
A whole month passed and you did'nt react.

What about your: "I'm happy to answer any questions you might have."???

Could I please ask you one more time to answer me on this?

Thank you and best regards
Ralph Heid
Ralph

Daal43 wrote the above review on 23 May. You posted your questions to him on 30 June He hasn't posted on this site since 6 June so it is unlikely that he as read your post or that he has picked up your PM if he hasn't visited the site.

HTH

luci :wave
Dear Ralph...Thank you for finding this site, my wife and i, had the pleasure of meeting you and your wife one morning sitting in the smoking section (port side) at the stern of the ship enjoying several cigarettes, i hope you remember us, we talked a lot about Hungary,which i know holds a special meaning to you both :)
If you can remember, my wife is from there,so it was very nice chatting about old times etc.
Like yourself, i found this site just browsing around, we were also aboard the constellation cruise that Daal refered to, we both were shocked to see a "critic" refer to you as, well you know the word,we thought you were wonderful entertainment, among some who were not .
I found a lot that was true in the Daal review, however my first impression of seeing the ship at Dover was an oversized car ferry with it's paint job !, and the artworks are questionable too.
I generally agree with most of the comments, i also felt the staff just did not seem to fit in, or want to be there after spending many weeks in the warm caribbean, and hearing the wedding march every morning at breakfast got a little old ..their tape music appeared to be down to perhaps 2 tapes played over and over, oh ! why were there 500 cups at the beverage stations and only 20 teaspoons ??
Overall we totally enjoyed the trip to the various countries, not that over thrilled with Celebrity though, pricey excursions, drinks, tips,and that in cabin bar, can really add up, always pushing you to exchange money on board before going ashore, we found everywhere took dollars and you save the exchange rates they charge you ! and buy your bottled water ashore for half the price they charge as you leave for an excursion.
Ralph, keep up the good work ! ..you are a credit to entertainment regardless of what others may say.
Give our regards to your lovely wife,whose company was also appreciated.

Peter & Judith ex brit now in the USA.
First, we are not cruise people. Never did one and probably won't again, but not because of the staff, the ship, or the entertainment. Just because we are not cruise people. With that said, I think this ship is quite well run, the kitchen more than adquate, the serving staff superb, and the appointments quite good. Celebrity's attempt at being the top of the affordable tier is obviously being met from all I spoke with who do these things often.
Second, this is a tremendously cost effective way to see a wide sampling of the neighborhood withiut having to take a month, schlepp bags constantly, and take a second mortgage to finance the whole thing so as to afford nice hotels in expensive Scandinavia.
In terms of delight, Finland, Latvia and Estonia were the grand surprises, with Tallinn and Helsinki being the amazing keepers. St. Petersburg at a leisurely pace would be very much more interesting. And the Winter Palace in February would be ideal if colder than I would tolerate.
Berlin, Helsinki, Tallinn, and St. Petersburg will be places we will visit again on future trips by conventional air and ground transportation.
Dealing with Celebrity post-cruise for a tiny bollocks on their part has been over two months and not at all satisfactory. Communication is this side of impossible in terms of time and full understanding. Being stubborn I will not give it up. Love windmills.
I don't look to a trip for entertainment unless it is local. The shipboard programs thus did not interest, though for those it did, there was satisfaction, though there were comments that "production numbers" were insifficiently "produced" and should be left to the shore stages. Wonderful little quartet in the cafe with a mixed repetoire of standards and classical.
Other than the post cruise anoyance, which displays the notion of take the money and run rather than satisfy that customer so he will come back, if your luck holds up and you don't need any "custmer service" after the fact, I would recommend thse people.
Hi rpmcestmoi and welcome to HT!

Never did one and probably won't again,

Sorry I'm a little confused as to whether you have sailed on this ship or not. You say you have never cruised and yet mention the ship in detail. Can you clarify please?

Just returned from our cruise, with Celebrity's Century.
WORTH EVERY PENNY ! Is my experience of the tips we prepaid. Flawless service, excellent quality throughout. Now that I have seen the dedication and professionalism the staff, we encountered, put into service, I am convinced it was value for money, and would do so again, with Celebrity, without a second thought. We are planning our next one already !
  • Edited by meseta 2005-02-25 06:16:13
We loved Celebrity. We were left envelopes on our last night in which we put the recommended amounts. It seems like a lot but once you've experienced the Celebrity touch - its worth it. We had dinner at the Captains table, plus we had an officer dine with us twice during the cruise. It was beyond what we expected. We would go with Celebrity again in a heartbeat.
We are going on our first cruise in April to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We are going on the Celebrity Summit on the Hawaii Circle cruise. Has anyone been on this ship/cruise ? Any comments and tips for first timers would be gratefully received. Many thanks
We were on the Summit in September 2004 and loved it. All staff were happy and that really makes a difference, the service was above and beyond, the food was fab, look out for the waffle bar right at the back of the food court at breakfast, i only found it on the second week and went there every day, fresh waffles, fresh strawberries and real fresh cream.

The production shows were as good if not better than most vegas shows and the entertainment staff were so friendly, but what i liked most of all was that every member of staff we met remembered our names the next time we saw them, even ashore they would come and speak to us.

You will have a fantasic time, and remember and tell them its your anniversary as you will get a cake presented to you at dinner.

If you have any questions just PM me and i will try to answer as best i can

Donna
Hi

I'd be grateful if any questions were asked here on the boards so that they will benefit all members. :wink:

Sorry Luci,

I never thought, and i have just worked out how to be notified of a new reply, doh! its only taken me about two years. Im not very bright am i?

Donna
:lol: No problems Donna.

Any problems or questions about the site, just ask away or post in our Help & Assistance forum.

hi chel...we were on the summit in nov 2004 and the year before we were on the celebrity century..both were to the caribbean. these ships are absolutely fantastic. We had a balcony cabin on the summit, with breakfast served there most mornings, overlooking the caribbean. We have looked at other cruise lines (the parents in law usually travel with thompson) but from what they say you really cant compare them... have a brilliant time.......we know you will :D
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.