Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
I always take sterling and change when i get there,always a better deal than here :D
i came back a fortnight ago and i got a better rate for cash i was getting obout £82cyp for £100 uk
After reading all the advice on currency here, I am taking Sterling and just anough CYP to get through the first night. My travel agent rate today was 0.74 and the Post Office was 0.79.
we thought about taking sterling but I can't bring myself to be carrying £1000 in my pocket or worse in a case and hope nothing happens to it...

don't get me wrong I'm not saying it might get pinched but you only need to put your hand in your pocket and not realise you've pulled out the cash or something....
Cy, we have a lot of money in notes, my hubby has a soft fabric wallet thingy that goes through his belt then flips inside his jeans at the front. It has been great for all our holidays and you would never know it was there.
we all do now... :lol:

but seriously I wear shorts a lot and might be swimming etc, I don't think I'd like to find I hadn't zipped it up properly or I had to wear a belt with shorts ?
if you have a nationwide flexi account you wont get charged for taking money out over there
Over the past few years I've tried most combinations.Still find that T/C's are more or less the same as cash but with piece of mind should the worst happen.This year we were getting a straight 0.82 to the pound in Constantinos the Great.Some folk went to the car hire place it the top of the road where 84.7 was advertised but they only got 81.5 after commission.Cashlines are handy but you never really know what the exact rate is at that time so now it's around £50 in cash for the 1st night,T/C's for the duration and C/Card or Debit Card if we run out.
I always use my Nationwide account. Although I don't know the rate I have never been disappointed with it..This year I took cyp300 to get me through the first shop for the villa, paid the car hire by card (I know and trust the company), and then took cash out as needed.
What about American Express Travellers Cheque Cards? They look like a good deal, just the same as having cash but covered against loss and only £1.50 charge at ATMs to withdraw up to £250 per day. Anyone used them or had any problems with them?

Cheers
Glen
Just back a week ago from Polis and visited paphos whilst there, the exchange rate in the shops is better for cash (about 0.82 to an english pound) although the Bank of Cyprus were giving 0.845 to sterling £1 when exchanging travellers cheques. They take a small commision (about 1.75% but even with this included the rate is better than shops offer on TC.
nationwide flex account?.. is that the savings account with overdraft facility?... how do you draw out of that?... wouldnt your card be for the current account?
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.