Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Hi :wave

No need to book in advance just turn up smartly dressed, no sandals, 'T' shirt etc and you will be fine.

I think the minimum charge is £8.50 (can't remember exactly) but it is worth it just to enjoy the ambience and grandeur of this lovely hotel.

Graham
hi
we stayed in that hotel when we were there

is it a fab hotel but hard to get in if you are not a guest like the last report said be very well dressed and tell them that you are looking to book in for a few days that might help

good luck
My wife and I managed to get into the Hotel. Lots of security at main gate. There was a sign up saying that it was full and no more visitors allowed. In true Egyptian tradition a few E£'s slipped into the hand of the security guard did the trick. Unfortunately we could not take tea but we managed to be there at just the right time and sat on the terraced area and watched the sun go down. How truly idyllic it was too. That will stay in my memory forever!
We popped along last year to see if we could go and have a look around the hotel - but they wanted to charge us to go through the gates!

We went a number of years ago and one of the hotel staff showed us to King Farouq's seat overlooking the Nile and we had a nosey around the hotel.

There was no way we were going to pay on this last visit - so, we took a trip across the cemetery towards the unfinished obelisk and ended up having a free guided tour of the graveyard by a local guy. He showed us the different graves and explained how the bodies are buried, turned on their sides so they face Mecca. It all ended up a really good day out!

CwB
To be honest Cyprus it was well worth the E£10 (£uk1) we slipped the guard in order for us to get into the Old Cataract Hotel. We spent a wonderful couple of hours on the Terrace and enjoyed the wonderful sunset.

Sometimes 'tipping' works in our favour and sometimes it unfuriates us-- I guess that sums Egypt up.

We shall definitely be returning to Egypt. Probably stay a week in Luxor on the West Bank and do our own thing!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.