EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
Hi simlaine
That sounds like mega bucks for Goa, no need to spend so much. As linb says it would be much cheaper to go yourself. All the info you need for buying furniture etc. is on the HT forum, take advice from those who have done it.
Why would you buy (are you sure you have, because it is impossible to have it in your name unless you have stayed there 181 days) in a place you have never visited?
Hi julie,

You can buy it in your name allright without the residency requirements but you can't sell it. That's the problem.

That furniture package is a complete ripoff. I furnished my complete apartment including top of the range A/C for about sterling 1500. Cane furniture, fridge, tv etc. Be careful.

Cheers

Carol
Hi Fritz,

You won't get an apartment for more than 11 months. You get certain rights if you occupy property over 11 months so they won't give it to you officially for that long.

You will get a 2 bed apartment in Calangute for about sterling 130 or thereabouts if you have a look around.

Cheers

Carol
carol
you can sell it but you cant take the profit out unless you sell it in the uk
Hi Going,

My information is that If you buy property and don't have the residency requirements then you can't register it with the registrar. If it is not registered it can't be sold.

You can repatriate the profits if you have asked RBI permission to bring in the money to buy it before you buy it and when you sell it, that you have paid tax at 30% on the profits.

Cheers

Carol
some info on buying in goa - which has been simplified over the past couple of years - Any foreign national can buy "leasehold" and the lease can run for up 5years - it then has to be renewed, but this is usually built into the lease document and continuation for all those who are unable to complete the 180 day rule happens atomaticaly. For those who are able to complete the residential criteria - which includes the completion of 180 days residency in a financial year and then being able to prove that you can sustain yourself by receiving funds from outside India in some form ie a pension ( britain is currently looking into paying pensions direct to india ) and amongst others satisfying the goverment that you are serious about making goa your home. Once you have gained residency the only advantage as far as your home goes is that you can sell and buy another property freehold and the original amount you paid can be repatriated as proven by your original transferes between the two contries and any profit used in india - less tax etc. The main points about buying in India are perhaps - only buy if you can afford to loose or lock the cost away - that way you won`t get to hurt if things go wrong in the future - I have bought in goa and am very happy with the decission to do so. :P
Hi, carolcmx - would you possibly be able to post any info on furniture and appliances - eg airconditioners - where you bought and any help as I (as well as others) are looking to start buying soon. thanks :P
Hi, does anyone have any advice. We are in Goa for 4 weeks Xmas & New Year and are looking to buy a property (or at least have a good look round) while we are there. Can anyone recommend any apartments (preferably new) in North Goa that may be worth a look. We don't have a huge budget (but then don't think we'd need one).
Hi Bam,

Heres some info for you. This is the information I can give about my experience here in Goa.

Ashley is my computer guy 9823118321 (and fixes simple problems). Helpful, reasonable and reliable. He will call and fix in your house. Not a hardware guy. I also bought from him
Deskjet 3745 colour printer R.2950
Kodak CX7300 Digital camera R.6800
I'm happy so far and he fills my black ink cartridge for R. 150

Casa Madhav Panaji
Lg fridge. 181 model with stabilizer R.7900
LG split A/C 1.5 ton. With stabilizer R. 29500. Quiet, got a humidity thingy, can be put anywhere, the main body of machine goes outdoors. |They will fit it for extra cost. I forget it.
LG window A/C with stabilizer R.18000

Ananta enterprise Mapusa
LG 21 TV R.7700

Bhat 9372170641 is the guy who supplies the shacks with cane. He brought me to

Goa cane corporation 405 Margao-ponda road Fatorda Tel 222217
Italian sofa R.2250 with cushions and little footstool included
Sofa set (2 armchairs, sofa and round coffee table) R4900
Open wardrobe R.3750
Low table 48x30 glass top R 2600
3 layer bookcase glass top R.1500
Small side tables R. 550

He will also get you Single Duroflex mattress (top Indian maker) 72x36 R.1800

tip: anything round is more expensive than square. Harder to make for them.
They will make to your design, they are not in the tourist area so the prices are reasonable. They supply most of the shops in the tourist areas. Ask for a discount on your total or to throw in a couple of caney things.
Cushions extra. If you choose your own fabric they will make the covers for you. I found them dead straight.

Kerala handicrafts. 18th June Road Panaji
Nice natural wood and metal home bits and pieces. Helpful. Government shop so fixed prices. I get a lot of stuff there. Great for furnishing rental property. Root about.

Govt. of Goa handicrafts emporium. On the left just before you enter Mapusa, almost opposite the petrol station. Nice cane shades.. All sorts of beachy lamps and crafty things around 50/100 rupees. Some are so awful they are sorta great. Check out the Mango trees. Fixed prices

James enterprises. Sapana Centre Panaji (Lighting)
Bloody expensive but if you want nice lighting they may have it.

Singer sewing machine R. 8000 M/s Isam enterprises. Opposite market Mapusa

Steam iron R.1049 Keli electronics Calangute

Eureka Forbes limited. Phone 410712 Water purifier R.6490

Habitat on road to Mapusa from Calangute. On the right. Got nice furnishing fabric, and general soft furnishings. Nice quality towels, Lampshades etc. Be careful buying bedlinen at Christmas, all the hotels are screaming for it and they substitute cheaper quality stuff and raise all the prices at that time. Doesn't wash well at all. I was caught last year.

A tip in India. If you pass money over for a purchase it is impossible to get it back. Doesn't matter what it is or what is wrong with it. They will climb the Himalayas to get it fixed or prove you wrong but they will not part with money.

All these prices are last years. Watch the papers around the big festivals. Good reductions then in the electrical goods in particular.

a round of applause please!!!!!

Cheers

Carol
Wow Carol,
What a great help that will all be.
Can I be a pest and ask advice on buying a property in Goa? Anything will help!
Are there any apartments that are worth a look?
Do you have to pay up there and then or is it just a deposit?
Are there any legal hurdles we may come across? I suspect its easier to buy for rental than to actually try and live there.
Do you actually live in Goa or do you spend alot of time there, we are not sure what to do yet.
Thanks
Hi Alavan,

Do you have to make some decisions before you come over? Or would you like to meet up and have a chat when you come over. I know a few places allright but you have, I imagine, a lot of questions and I am very busy at the moment. Can't always answer for a while. If you would like to chat on the phone before coming do let me know and I will give you my number. Can get a lot more said in a call when dealing with a lot of details, I find. Maybe write out your questions before and then speedy through them.

Cheers

Carol
a very big thanks Carol for your post and all the info - wow - is all I can muster at present. :P
yup.........wow will do............

A big cheers, I'm having a great day. :D

Carol
Thanks Carol,
Probably is a good idea to have a chat while we are there if that's ok with you. We arrive on the 12 Dec and are there for four weeks so plenty of time.
Hi. I'm a US citizen, but also a PIO, so I don't have the residency problem. I'm also part Goan, and was able to avail of family resources--excellent accountant and lawyer, which are a must. I have bought two colonial houses in quiet villages in north Goa over the past three years. The first time was a bit of a nightmare because of some RBI regulation that was still in force (no longer), but it got resolved after a year. The second purchase, which I bought as a rental and am restoring, was easier, because I knew what I was doing by then. Most of the agents here are giant rip-offs; it's best to go through someone you know (such as someone on this list who has already been through the process, or someone you know through a previous visit, through a friend, etc), who can recommend a good and responsible lawyer. (there are a lot of dubious lawyers chasing foreigners who want to buy) Buying colonial houses require detailed title checks and someone familiar with Portuguese law. If you are planning to rent, as a lot of expats prefer to do, then it is much easier. there is one agency that is more professional than most--Homes and Estates--but they also take a slightly larger commission. (Generally, agent commission should be 2 percent).
Hi Masc,

I have to say I agree entirely. I don't know homes and estates but 2% is the commission rate. If someone gets you a place to rent or buy that is fair enough. Estate agents are relatively new here and will get what they think is possible rather than a fixed rate. Be careful of hidden charges in everything here and get all charges sorted beforehand.

My advocate charges sterling 65 to do the legal paperwork for a sale. That is more than the local rate but it is what is charged to 'foreigners' and she gets the job done.

I find that most people will buy through word of mouth here and the forum is a great asset for those who don't live here but just want a safe investment. You can make contact with people who know the ropes and have done it.

I would encourage those who want to settle or live here for part of the year to be here for a bit before buying. Rent and stay for the periods you plan to stay if you buy.

cheers

Carol
I'm not really an apartment person, but Acron has some really nice ones--well constructed, well finished, and well maintained, with nice landscaping. They're on the pricey side, though. They have a website.

Furnishings are best bought personally, rather than relying on a developer/contractor/agent to do it for you--you'll save quite a lot of money. If you're into colonial furniture, the best place to buy it , in terms of price and range of selection, is not here in Goa, but at Chor Bazaar in Mumbai. Finding a good transporter might be a little dicey. I had a Mumbai friend arrange one for me.

If anyone is looking to rent, I'll have a colonial house available in Aldona in the next couple of months. Or at least I hope so, the restoration is still going on. Also for anyone planning to do restoration work, if you're in the North-eastern part of Goa (Tivim, Nachnola, Moira, Aldona, Uccassaim), I can recommend some honest contractors,
carpenters, roof guys, etc.

masc
Can also recommend Acron for the quality and positioning of their low density residential developments - have bought an Acron apartment myself. Check out their website for more info :P
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a 1bed apartment in calangute.

Do you need to live in goa for 6 months, to be able to take money back out?

BRAD
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.