EX-Pats and Owners Abroad

Discussions for EX-Pats and owners abroad or those who are considering this idea.
old goa posts
167 Posts
Hi, anyone know how to go about buying property in Goa, I know you have to be resident for 6 months, do they have estate agents?? good solicitor etc? any help would be appreciated.
Tina
Hi Tina, I am interested too...& keen to see what response you get.
My initial research has identified 2 Goan companies that offer a "complete" service for prospective buyers / renters:
1) Goahomes.com
2) HomesGoa.com

The latter looks better from initial walk-thru their website. There's probably more I haven't found yet.

Anyway, I'll let you know..we're out there 25/3-09/4 so will be checking them out!

Rgds
Pete
Dont think you have to be a resident for 6 months to buy a property, and even if that is the case you should be able to get a 6 month residential certificate quite easily even though you havent stayed that long.

Wife got one on the first day of our holiday even though she had never been there before :shock:
hi
there was a post on this subject a while ago, if you do a search you'll find it. the only thing i know about buying property in goa is that once you have invested your money you cant at a later date sell your property & take your funds out of the country.........fine if you want to keep the property for a long time/ever but not so good if you want to/need to sell at a later time
I'd be interested to hear comments from people who've bought somewhere in Goa.
As I understand it, you're better off buying an apartment, as land ownership is a sticky issue.
So if you buy an apartment, then sell it, what happens to the money from the sale?
Also, I've heard that the 99 year lease is common in India.
I know lin b has apartments at Candolim, and would really like to hear her views.
my mum and dad have brought apartment out there they are not resident yet the apartment is 99% yours names on deeds but you dont get the deeds till you have done 182 days in one year april-april there is abook of places for sale in goa that you can buy for rps 30 or you can have alook on the web site http://www.homesgoa.com and that got legal questions about buying places on it
There are loads of lawyers and people that will help you sort a place out to buy in Goa. It is best to get one to help you as otherwise you can get into a sticky situation becuase one of the problems over here is that alot of properties are owned by more than one person. This is not a problem if all parties know that the propertie is being sold but sometimes this is not the case. If a propertie gets sold and then you find that one of the owners knew nothing about it you haven't got a leg to stand on. Its a bit strange and can be a right pain as people are not always honest and do not always tell you that they are not the full owner.
Theres a magazine called Homes & Estates which covers loads of properties for sale or rent. They have an office in Parra which is just outside Mapusa and you have to register with them though I don't know what the fees involve. There magazine is worth buying though as it covers questions and answers of legal matters etc and is a good read. I always buy it when I'm there, about 50 rupees I think. The magazine shop near to Elephant shop inCandolim sells it. Quarterly mag. Hope this helps, there is also an estate agent owned by two British men somewhere along the Baga Rd, not too far from the new Subway Sandwich place. Its down a little side street and I struggled to find it, I did have their business card somewhere with a number on so I'll try and find it and post it on here.
Just remembered Homes and Estates have their own website too. If its not under Homes and Estates its under http://www.homesgoa.com I think, just a thought !

Edited by Bawbee to correct link.
laura b. goalover
the web thing that you said is half a email if you look on my post on this topic you will find the web address as i brought the mag back but the web site is not as good as the mag but you can email questions to them
Hi all

Re buying in Goa, try The Goan Estate Agency on the Baga Road in Calangute.

Website http://www.goanhomes.com
hi everyone just joined forum i am goin to the highland beach at xmas and am gonna b lookin at buyin property a company i have been loking at is keith morling property consultacy they seem well priced compared to others you will find them at http://www.findaproperty.com also http://www.indiaproperties.com have a lot different types of properties as well.
apparently the laws have recently changed and it is easier to buy now they will tell you though to set up a business and as long as u leave some cash in account you will be fine ,you can then sell the business if you want to in the uk because its the bus you are sellin not the property even though it is part of the bus or you can join a residents society which is another way if what i have been told is a load of crap would appreciate any facts and added info
mike
Hi.
Made my mind up!! Just got bacl from another wonderfull stay in goa. (Heratige village club. nr colva)
I'm going to retire early (very early!!) and buy a place and live in south goa.
I've looked at several properties, anyone got any info about life full time in goa? and any pitfalls, legal probs etc??
Cheers
Chris...

8) 8) 8) 8)
know how you feel Chris, I feel the same although I would come home through the monsoon, I am just going to get a 1 way ticket in nov and see how it goes. There are quite a few people on this site going out long term, Keep us up to date on your progress,
Good luck
Lin :gluck
Hi Chris

I feel exactly the same I would love to buy a place in Goa. We had an abosolutely wonderful time at the Heritage. You landed the day we had to come back. Usually my hubby lets me decide where to go on holiday as he doesnt mind, but he really wants to go back next March as they made you so welcome, probably going around the 16th. Where abouts was your room, we were round the back by the gardens and it was just beautiful.

Sue
Hiya
we were in room 208.... view of the pool:))
we were delayed coming back by 16 hrs so had a free extra full day at hotel (shame eh??? lol)
Will def be back, for hol or to live!!
Take care
Chris..
8) 8) 8) 8)
hi chris
i am looking at properties myself but in the north what kind of prices /accomodation have you seen while over there
mike :?:
wickerman
New User...

12 HTPoints

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 12:44 pm Post subject: buying in goa

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Had a tentative look at a few apartment developments while we were over in goa recently - is there any advice anyone can offer about potential problems ie residency/taking money out of india if you do eventually sell up/renting them out

all help would be appreciated

goingoingoa
New User...

16 HTPoints

Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2005 1:02 pm Post subject: problems

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

i am doing as much research as possible at the moment before i go out and things i have been told are that it is easier to purchase an apartment rather than a house due to land ownership but newbuilds are the safest, if not a resident (nri) you have to set up a business its not complicated just paperwork, also a business account and you just need to leave some money in it .it means the business owns the property not you and if you want to sell you are selling the business rather than the house which apparently you can sell to a foreigner ie us .some complexes set up a residents association as a business which enables you to get your deeds hope this helps
mike
friends of ours moved out a couple of years ago. Don't wish to be a miserable git...but...they seem to have had a nightmare. they knew goa well (had spent ten years of holidays there) but nothing seems to have gone to plan.
They seem to have made a few mistakes which i wouldn't like to have made...I don;t know the ins and outs but i would be inclined to keep a property in england as an insurance policy and plan to come back to the uk or somewhere else in the summer.
best bet is probably to speak to lots of people, the ones who can offer impartial advice and go from there. Good luck!
Holiday Truths Forum
Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.