Egypt Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Egypt.
Yes, probably wouldn't be able to keep the same room, but as a package it has to come with accommodation. If they had a room for single occupancy you might have to then pay a single supplement but it would appear they haven't offered anything?
They have offered to change to something leaving in Feb, with us paying extra charges.(Had to be done today).
The other 3 passengers (Mum, Dad, Brother) can go anytime- I could not do half term as I have 3 kids.
F/C said if I had found something they would help- but have not found me anything- nor have I been able to find anything.
They said the flight was still booked, and when the t\a tried to cancel it tonight- all this happened today- he was not able too, First choice would not let him.
First Choice told me they have no one I can escalate this to, I have asked the T\A to escalate it as that what is what F/C said had to happen as we booked through a t/a.

The last I was told- at 5.30pm, was from the t/a, that f/c would not let him cancel the flight.

So I have a flight leaving for Sharm at 10.15am- no accommodation (if it is even an option to go at all), and then what?

(I asked if I can still go on the flight, and stay in the same hotel/room etc, I was told my room had gone, as the other 3 guests on the booking had changed, so the room had been returned to the hotel, and was no longer available- and neither was any other at RSHV).

Jules
Yes, your agent has to deal with everything at the moment, unfortunately! It is so much more complicated to do everything through a middleman.
You obviously aren't going to go tomorrow and neither would I without accommodation. I am at a loss to know who is not communicating properly with who, but something seems to have gone sadly wrong.
I can only suggest that you go to the agents in the morning and sit there until they sort something out with First Choice. Whether its a full refund or a partial refund for your accommodation which they don't seem able to provide. It is not First Choice's job to find you an alternative, that is down to your agent or yourself. Maybe the agent can spend time finding you an alternative holiday. Surely First Choice have something going this month, with the exception of half term, that is suitable? (if they will still let you transfer tomorrow).
Looking with the agent couldn't find anything, without adding a few hundred more pounds in and so the agent suggested I have it out with First choice- who said tomorrow is too late.
The agent didn't seem to feel there was much more he could do.

I would go somewhere alone if I had no other choices, but what a mess.

I am at my wits end.
I dont believe that First Choice can not find you a room in the Red Sea Holiday Village at this time of the year.
During the winter months there are less families there except at half term.
With other nationalities cancelling its hardy likely the hotel will be full.
I use to have the email address for the hotel.I only remember the name Ramy Morris.If someone can give you his email its worth contacting him and explaining your situation.
Alternatively the Coral Sea is 2 hotels away so even if the RSHV is full the Coral Sea should have a room.
I have also read there are lots of offers at the moment to Sharm at half the original price but I am not sure with which company.
Just had a quick look on First Choice website and although the RSHV and the Coral sea seem unavailable the Grand Azure next door is available,along with a few others.
  • Edited by Jay Trip 2011-02-03 22:57:10
I bet you are at your wits end. I really cannot think of anything else to suggest at the moment - sorry!

Your agent should be having it out with First Choice, that is what they get paid commission to do, not just sell you a holiday.

If they can't/won't then write direct to First Choice Customer Service Dept. explaining it all. Make your letter concise and to the point and tell them exactly what you want them to do as regards a refund.

Do let us know how you go on. Good luck.
Thanks so much.

I will write it all out and send it as you have suggested.

Your support and advice has helped.

Jules
Jules,

If things aren't sorted for you later today, think about taking your complaint to the Financial Ombudsman. A few years ago my mom had to cancel a trip to Cyprus at the last minute because of ill health. The Post Office Travel Insurance wouldn't pay out even though she had a statement from her doctor supporting her claim. We asked the Financial Ombudsman, to intervene and although there were lots of forms to complete and it took some time, the insurance eventually paid her the whole cost of the holiday and as a good will gesture gave her an extra £50!

Trev

PS Using the Financial Ombudsman is FREE!!!
I don't mean to sound patronising but are you sure they've explained and you've understood things correctly? If you were sold an AI package that price includes the cost of flight, transfers and accomodation. If they fail to supply you with all that then they have to cancel the holiday and give you a full refund- end of! Where have they got all this nonsense of telling you your flight's still available although your room's been cancelled and they can't find you anywhere else? The Travel Agent will know how things work.
Not saying for one minute it's right but just to come at it from a slightly different angle . Im guessing they are having problems finding accomodation now because you will now be a single occupant in the room . If that change was made earlier there would most definately be an increase in the cost .

Obviously this situation has only arisen due to the current situation in Egypt so not sure where that leaves you. clearly they are allowing people to change their destination but I'm assuming that would apply to everyone on the booking .

Maybe sunaddict could throw some light on what would happen under those circumstances.
That is correct Shirley- I booked an AI package and now only the flight is available.
I have had no offer of a refund and the T\A did look for an alternative but could not really find anything and said it would be a large price increase, which I understood as i would be a single occupancy.

I have forwarded this and Nick Harris's advice to the T/A and as soon as I hear that he agrees with all I have stated I will call ABTA and ATOL and the financial authorities.

Thanks for all your help- flight goes in 45 mins! (Of course I will not be on it).

Jules
I fear that as you haven't turned up for the flight, they will now say you cancelled. If you had flown they would have to find you somewhere to stay - end of! They would not be allowed to accept you for a flight without accomdation being available for you. They would have to of found you somewhere to stay!
Maybe I've missing something but...... I have to side with the tour operator on this one.
Originally booked for 4 people - 3 people disinclined to travel - change destination(presumably pay fee for alteration) -4th person wants to go the the original destination on the same terms??? Surely the original booking would be regarded as cancelled with no refund because of the late decision.
Also doesn't seem to expect to pay (high) single supplement?? 4th person then doesn't travel anyway because they don't know if they have accomodation(as per previous post from Denny.53 they would have had to find you something if they wouldn't cancel your AI booking)-result no refund!
Jules,
So sorry to hear of your predicament - you must be feeling awful today. Not only disappointed and feeling let down by First Choice but out of pocket too. I hope the support and advice given by other members of the forum helped and that you get some form of refund or compensation. I find it hard to believe that RSHV were unable to find you a room as there must have been many cancellations and its not in their interests to have bad publicity.

I have 2 holidays booked, the first for 19th Feb and the second for 24 March. I am resigned to probably losing both holidays and money (total £1200 for week B&B per person) though as I love Egypt so much I still really want to go. Two weeks to make a tough decision. I have not contacted the holiday companies yet as I am holding out hope that the Foreign Office will change their travel advice before half term.

Hope you are able to holiday together as a family sometime in the near future.
Regards, Caro
Jules,

Now you've decided no to go I think it's time to pursue the Financial Ombudsman route. Is this what you meant when you said you had contacted the financial services? Make sure you also contact First Choice and tell them you are doing this so that they are aware that you intend to fight your corner. They certainly know who this Ombudsman is and what powers he/she has. It might make First Choice think again!!! :think

Let us all know how thing pan out for you,

Trev
Personally I think that the TA (Now Travel I believe) is at fault here and not neccessarily the Tour Operator.
Come to think about it, the few times I have flown flight only with the big tour operators - TC/ Monarch/BMI etc I have recieved along with my flight tickets a chitty for a hotel or hostal. The first time I queried this I was told that you HAD to have somewhere to stay in a foreign country (some aviation law or convention law - can't remember which!)
I would be interested to know just how much involvment First Choice had in this.? I cannot believe that there is NO accomodation left in the Red Sea resorts? I have read on here of many people cancelling/changing their holiday because of the troubles, plus I doubt very much that the resorts are fully booked at this time of year anyway.
I think the TA knew full well you wouldn't travel on your own and that all the monies previously paid have gone towards your parents holiday!
Keep us informed of what the travel lawyers say.
Success, and thanks to each and everyone of you for your help.

First Choice have admitted breach of contact, and are sending a refund of my part of the holiday.

Thank you very much.

Jules
nigandjules - VERY,VERY surprised .....but pleased for you anyway!! :tup
EXCELLENT! WOW! Well done - now go and book yourself a holiday!! Or at least treat yourself to something really nice!!
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.