Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Optician
18 Posts
Hello i have been told opticians[glasses] are very reasonable to buy in Cyprus ,if this is so could any viewergive their advice ,and is there a good reccomended optician in Protarus .thanks JIM :roll:
Hi Jim,

I suggest that you bring your prescription with you and have your specs made here.

Yes, specs are cheaper in Cyprus.

Regards,

Nigel
Sorry cant agree with my mate Nigel... spec's are no longer the bargain price in Cyprus, probably get a better deal at Specsaves in the UK, the only guy I found in our area to still be competitive is Jim Kounnss (Limassol & Pafos) recently I paid at another optical house £240 Cyprus £'s remember for a normal set of Bi's, but at Jims Kounnas optical shop I got top spec Veri's and reacterlitghts for just over £100,

I have no connection with Jim optical house I was just a customer..

Jim web site.. http://www.kounopt.com/
My boss visited Protaras a couple of years ago and thought she was getting a really good bargain with a pair of glasses so she bought them. The only thing was that a few months after her return the glasses broke. She went to many optitions in England but they wouldnt touch them, so she waited for me to take my yearly visit to Protaras, I brought the glasses with me but the shop would not fix them free of charge even though it was a design fault. So she ended up paying another £100 to get them fixed as it was cheaper than starting from scratch again with new lenses and everything. Sometimes its better to but these items at home in case there are any problems!!
I bought a pair of glasses three years ago in Paphos, and I have to say that they are very good quality. I am one of those people who is constantly taking them off and putting them on, so they have had some real wear and tear.

I have been to Specsavers and the glasses only lasted 12 months. I am happy to pay the same kind of costs, purely for the quality of glasses I receive.

Kath HT Admin
Hi Kath...my post had nothing to do with the quality of glasses here, I think they are no better or worse than the UK, in fact most of the frames I have found here are of Italian origin, but for sure prices have risen here to a point they are no longer the bargain they once were..and a great shame I think.
Last time we were in Cyprus (Protaras)we noticed loads of opticians , is it cheaper to get Glasses there ?
we just thought it was strange, can anyone enlighten me please.
Is buying your prescription glasses still a good deal cheaper in Cyprus than the UK? If so, can anyone recommend any good ones in Paphos that do all sorts of glasses, including varifocals and prescription sunglasses?
Hi tinka14, yes I woud recomend buying glasses in paphos. My wife and I both bought specs on our last visit, mine were single lens and my wife bought varifocals which were the frameless type and much cheaper than here!! There are loads of opticians to choose from and they will do free eye tests and have your glasses ready in a couple of days. We used one we think was called "sams" next to a restaurant called "Nature", which is on Poseidonos avenue. We were pleased with the price here, my wife's frameless varifocals were about CYP 115 and I don't think they were by any means the cheapest option!!! Haven't bought any sunglasses yet!
Hi tinka14,
I bought some glasses a few years ago, like foxfan on Poseidonos Ave, the name of the place was Georges but all seem to be reasonable, mine were framless, titanium and 'reactolight' for about 200 Cyp. pounds.There are lots of places to have a look at, just have a wander around. :gluck
Amber and Karl :wave :yipee
I bought my glasses from there too. Two years on (due a new pair now) they are still as sturdy as when I bought them.

The ones I bought here at home have been in for repair three times. :roll:

I cant wait to get back out there to order another couple of pairs.

Kath x
Hi all, that sounds good so we shall treat ourselves to some great glasses by the sounds of it! 8)
Every other shop in Paphos seems to be an opticians! It's worth asking your rep if he/she has any discount vouchers - ours gave us a 20% discount voucher for an opticians in the centre of town.

U2fan
Hi tinka14,

I suggest you bring your prescription with you (rather than having your eyes tested here).

Specs are much cheaper here - we buy ours in Limassol.

Cheers,
Thanks for the last 2 tips! We've both recently had our eyes tested and my prescription is very straightforward, but hubby needs varifocals now so he'll have to bring his paperwork with him! :) 4 weeks tomorrow, let's hope the weather is better there than here at the moment!
Got really good glasses in cyprus years ago is it still worth my while not buying specs before I go on holiday and to wait till I get to Cyprus :?:
Hi cathie and welcome to HT!

I have merged your post with an existing topic. You may find some useful information in earlier posts.

luci :wave
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.