America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Orlando Help?
13 Posts
Do have a good look around the forum while you wait for replies, there's lots of info ;)

I won't merge your post with any other threads though as it just becomes a confusing mess of questions, quotes and replies! :rofl
im sure it was $52 dollars return from sanford to I drive per person last year when i was there and i think it was Orlando Carriers. You would be better off buying your park tickets here and stay clear of used ones as you cant use them, when you go into parks they will scan your finger which renders them useless for anyone else.
Have to agree, definitely don't go down the "used" tickets route. Buy them from one of the major attraction ticket sellers online like Keith Prowse. Definitely shop around though. I agree, no real need for any other tickets apart from the Disney and Flex. You are well covered with those.
I can't comment on transportation from Sanford as we always fly into MCO. Have you thought about hiring a car for your stay? There are lots of fors and againsts driving in Orlando but I am definitely in the former. It's a breeze and opens up so many more options for you, especially in the evenings. Maybe worth a thought?
Also can't comment on Amtrak down to Tampa although we have used them extensively on other routes. Journey time seems long though, certainly compared to driving but I would add that despite the often harsh criticism afforded them by the US public, they are far superior to any train provider we have in the UK. The trains are well maintained and very comfortable, and the staff actually care about you. I think it's a nice way of travelling down, but of course if you had that car....... :tup

My one word of advice is don't burn yourselves out. Easily done in Orlando. There are often a lot of laughs about how much of a military operation planning your 2 weeks in Orlando can become, but it is true and spending some time before the trip drafting up a plan of action can save you time and hassle in a lot of cases. Definitely plan for rest days after the big parks, and make sure you get there at opening for all parks...it's amazing how much you can fit in during the first hour if you are on the ball. Although a lot of people favour the early start and head back to the hotel/villa for a rest/swim before going back to the park, I don't necessarily think that is the right thing to do, and without a car it is virtually impossible. Of course if there is a fireworks show, or something you want to see later in the day then it might be worthwhile arriving later, dealing with the crowds initially and taking advantage of fewer people the long the day goes on.

Costs? Difficult to judge but Orlando is still cheap compared to a lot of the USA. At any chain restaurant you can get by on $10 for an entree, which is often big enough to keep you happy. Add in a dessert of $4+, drink and tax, and I would budget $20 evening meal budget per person (we always budget $50, whereever we are in the USA). Breakfast can be as cheap as you want it. Even a buffet is only going to be around $6 per person, try and grab vouchers out the booklets if you can. Lunch in parks? Pick a figure out of thin air. I find most entrees in parks are the same price as an evening meal, so tend to avoid eating too much in the parks because the value is just not that great.
Not sure on travel costs as we always have a car. It's going to mount up though. Are you staying in a hotel which provides park transportation? That will obviously help.

I hope this has helped a bit. If you need any further help, I'm sure we can help. :tup
Very informative replies - thank you!

Funny thing is, I was just about to draw up an itinerary for our trip today! We decided to take a 'break' from Orlando to hit the beach in Clearwater for a few days because I often hear of people having to take a holiday after their holiday to Orlando, lol - and even felt that way myself as a child when I was there.

Thanks for all the info - will just buy the park tickets before we go now. Must be a new thing they have for the finger scanning in parks though? By new, I'm talking post-2000 since my last visit.

As for the car hire, we decided against it from the start. Not comfortable driving abroad and want to be relaxed while we're away. We are happy enough with the train to Tampa (very cheap and seems reliable, fingers crossed).

Sounds good about the price for meals over there... will also try to set up a daily budget but no doubt will exceed that budget every day with so much to do/buy in Orlando and Tampa, although it does seem very cheap.

Thanks again for the information.
:tup
No problems. I hope it helped.

You will find a lot has changed if your last visit was pre 2000. It will seem similar but with so many new rides and attractions it will be like a first visit. I am quite envious of that. The reason we haven't been for two years now is over familiarity, something I thought I was suffering from with Las Vegas as well but I think I might be over that blip now. :rofl

A couple of days in Clearwater will do you the world of good. Definitely head West Coast and not East, the beaches and resorts are far superior. I don't know about your interest in US sport, but a baseball game is always a good night out and you have that opportunity when down Tampa way to see the Devil Rays (ground is in St Pete's actually). Well worth it.

Have a great trip. :tup
I think you will find that Amtrack from Orlando to Tampa is a bus service. Still talking about building the rail link and itmaybe up and running in five years......... but don't hold your breath!
jwhiting, I'm a big baseball nut. Definitely going to 1 game, possibly 2. Only thing off-putting about two trips to see the Rays is that Tropicana Field is a dome stadium - not making the most of that beautiful weather (although unpredictable so the dome is understandable)!

busdriver, are you sure it's a bus service? The Amtrak site quotes it as a 91 Silver Star line there and 92 Silver Star line back and says it is a rail journey.
The 91 Silver Star is indeed a train line, it runs from Penn Station in New York before finishing in Miami. There is a bus service as well (6097). Quoted time on the Amtrak is shorter than your 3hrs though Stack, it states 2hr 3min on the way down and 1hr 51min on the way back which compares better to the time it would take in a car (still quicker by car though). Sounds great and definitely a different way of seeing the area.

On the subject of Tropicana Field you can't really blame them for the roof. Although often referred to as the "sunshine state" Florida, in my experience is anything but especially during the months of June - September. Hopefully you will get some decent weather though.
OK I hold my hands up! Looks like there is a train. Taken in by the talk of a new rail link from Orlando to Tampa. It was voted down in 2004 but last year seemed to be making some progress. The plan was to link central Orlando with McCoy airport, Universal, Sea World, Disney (with each of these contributing to the cost) and Tampa. Article does not hold out too much hope: http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/politics/orl-sunrail-040809,0,6132808.story

Amtrak station at Tampa looks to be a fair distance from the Gulf beaches. I think the car is the best option for the trip to the west coast; it will be quicker and gives more flexibility when you are there.
We went to Tropicana Field in 2007 to see the Devil Rays against Boston Red Sox - it was a brilliant experience and ill never forget it :) Definitely worth a visit :)
GG x
Cannot wait to see the Rays (will be my first baseball game - and the missus doesn't mind going either - though I bet boredom will kick in for her around the middle of the 1st inning! :rofl ). I can always take her to see the big Ray tank in Tropicana Field :D

Actually really looking forward to a few days relaxing on the beach too - will be a welcome break too I'm sure from the madness of Orlando. Anyone recommend places to visit/sight-see in and around Tampa? So far, we've got the beach, Tropicana Field & Tarpon Springs on our list - as well as Tampa the city itself and the Sunshine Skyway bridge (I really want to see that structure, looks very impressive).

busdriver, appreciate all the info :tup And we are all wrong sometimes, you got me worried just so I had to quickly double-check that it was a train service!
Baseball can go on a bit, but rarely at Major League level is it longer than 3-4 hours. We actually went to see the Albuqerque Isotopes play when we were in New Mexico last August, they are a minor league club and it had got to the top of the 5th innings (so about half way through) and we'd been watching for 4 hours!!!!! We stuck it out for another innings but boy was that dull. Lovely ballpark though, and just a 10min drive from our hotel.

I like Tropicana Field. Especially the airship that throws out goodies. Just watching the kids move around seats so they can get the free food tokens etc was hilarious. This kid came back with 2 x Nachos, 1 x hot dog and 2 x chicken strips. :rofl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.