America/Canada Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in America and Canada
Hi jo i would say may/june a good time for the weather,xmas can sometimes be a bit
on the cold side,kissimee area is quite good for getting about,also you may want to go for
International drive where there are lots to do in that area,we normally stay at Orange lake
which is on the 192 [its our time share and just love it there]going in may 2009 :)
annx

xmas would also be a lot more expensive
May is good and you tend to avoid the thunderstorms that hit just about every afternoon June through September, but I wouldn't split it over the end of May beginning of June. We have been lots at the beginning of June and we have sworn never again. Whilst parks are not overly busy, the torrential downpours really put a dampner on your holiday in more ways than one. Although it is purely an individual opinion, don't listen to anybody who says the thunderstorms come along at 4pm and are often gone in a few hours, in my experience (and it is quite a lot of experience in Florida) when the storms start, they stay. Sure everybody runs for cover and the rides are less busy but you will also find that a lot of the major rides will close down during heavy thunderstorms.

For July, August and most of September I would say it is mostly the same.

Christmas is a tricky one to be honest and it all depends on dates but you may well find the parks are too busy, especially the closer to Christmas you go. Weather will be better in that you won't get much rain and it will be cooler (for some, too cool).

My personal preference is late October and early November. Fantastic weather in the mid 20's, no sign of thunderstorms (ok, maybe 1 day out of 11 last time we went we had rain) and parks relatively quiet (5mins for Splash Mountain!!!). Of course not everybody can go at this time of year but that would be my choice. If not, May.

As for accommodation, the world truly is your oyster but with 3 kids in tow (ages???) , one double room is going to be too small. Have you considered a villa??? If you are happy with a hotel, then I would opt for International Drive or Lake Buena Vista. You will find countless arguments on various forums about which area of Orlando to stay in but we've always stayed in those two areas apart from our first ever trip when we stayed in Kissimmee (also an option).
Don't forget to check reviews HERE and let me know if you'd like any hotels added ;)
Thanks for the quick replies, i was considering oct/nov but its the wrong time of year to take the kids (they'll be 14, 12 & 7) out of school, so might go May half term and the school allows them time out in June.

I'd like to stay in a villa but they all seem quite a bit away from Disney..but i don't wanna stay in a Motel type place. I've been looking at superior villa's with Virgin but not sure where they are or what they're like. I also looked at Lake buena vista resort but was worried about them being spead over 5 tower blocks.
I want the best of both worlds in a lovely villa, own pool, close to Disney and as a package (i don't think i'm confident enough to do it separately). Am i being too fussy? :que

jo..x
Its a pity you cant go in October (half term) for in my opinion that month is ideal. We have twice been in october and the weather has been hot in the low 30's and the parks haven't been too busy with the longest we have ever queued being 15mins.
I wish we could.. but the last time i took them out of school (other than june/july) was more trouble than it was worth as the school made me feel so guilty and the kids were scared to go back..and this is a primary school :offtop :whoops

On another note i've just been looking at private rentals in Emerald island and they look ideal, but work out dearer than a package but well worth considering.

jo..x
We were there in Oct/Nov just gone - and hoping to go back Easter next year.

We stayed at Floridays Resort on I-Drive in a 2 bed apartment (they also have 3 bed). Master bedroom with tv, full bathroom en-suite. Kids room had 2 single beds with tv. Separate bathroom. Living room had sofa bed. Dining table. Full kitchen. Balcony with furniture. It cost us €1,100 for 2 weeks and we're definately looking to stay there for our next trip again. The extra space was invaluable! Especially after a day at the parks. I'd highly recommend it.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.