Spain - Canary Islands - Tenerife Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Tenerife.
I stayed there in march for a week, rooms were basic but clean,tv is a joke it is on a slot and you pay 1 euro for 30mins.The tavern bar just down the road did a good breakfast and wigan pier for food was good.
However we did see some of the girls of the night plying their trade opposite.I would not stay there again.

Daveyboy
Daveyboy ... perhaps you would like to review this property for the benefit of anyone considering a stay here:

http://www.holidaytruths.co.uk/reviews/spain/canary-islands/tenerife/playa-de-las-americas/oro-blanco-apartments/

Many thanks
David :wave
:D Hi Chris

I stayed in these apartments in Sept last year with 3 friends. They are basic apartments but could not find anything wrong with them. We booked a two bedroomed apartment and ended up with a 3.

They have a small bar area but we never used it as there are lots of bars just down the road, Pool is a good size and there were always sun lounges what ever time we went to the pool. 8)

If you walk down the path at the back of the apartments before you get to the tavern then it will take you to the far end of veronicas right near the beach I will warn you that if you do go to the beach make sure you have something on your feet as the sand gets really hot.

And finally, I would warn you to make sure all your party take care with their drinks, my sister got spiked in Rumor's bar :evil: so be careful, apart from this we have a fabulous time.

Juby-Ju xx
we stayed there in november last year and we thought they were good value for money , rooms were basic but clean , a good sized pool with bar area , central location-just be careful on the veronicas strip at night
went to these apartments bout 4 years ago, found the staff to be very ignorant and unhelpful, rooms are very basic and dirty, towels were only changed twice a week. Area where these apartments are i was aproached by ladies of the night a few times in two weeks, wouldnt mind but they were damn ugly and expnsive lol

all in all a very un enjoyable holiday
This was a holiday from hell, and not a place for families. Its a pitty because it is a nice hotel but in the wrong location.

The Synopsis in the tour Brochure is misleading.

We booked our holiday through the Thomas Cook Travel agent in York last year, for the 19th August to 3rd September 2005. We shopped around for quotes from travel agents in York and we were recommended the Oro Blanco apartments by Going Places at Feasgate.

The young lady recommended these apartments because we are a large family of 6, and the Oro Blanco was the only accommadtion in Tenerife with two bedroom apartments that could acommadate us and it was an ideal for us and that the Oro Blanco is great for families, but we were quoted cheaper at Thomas Cook, that's why we booked through them.

Our holiday was a disaster from start to finish.

1.We could not fault the accommodation it was well furnished, the only drawback was no air-condition in any part of the hotel.
2.You were dropped off a few hundren yards from the hotel, and had to make your way across a busy road.
3.You were disturbed every night by noisy holidaymakers ie 18/30's until the early hours of the morning shouting and smashing bottles beside the pool and throwing sun loungers around the area.
4.The poolside was dirty and to small for the amount of people starying at this place.
5.Young holidaymakers would bring back prostitutes to the accommadtion which operated outside the hotel..
6.Fighing at the poolside bar when children were around Police were called out a number of times.
7.Young holidaymakers using bad language and actions were a bit adult in front of children.
8.The hotel had entertainment for families which was only twice a week bingo.
9.Some bar staff would over charge you on drinks and food, also the bar would run out of drinks and food.
10.Accommadtion keys were taken from the reception area and items taken out of some apartments.
11.Hotel staff were-Pathetic very poor servic, rude and sometimes unapprochable and also arrogant.
12.The rep Joe (poor girl) just had enough of what was going on within the hotel, and would not get any help from the hotel mangement.
13.Day trips out, which were booked through the rep in the hotel was a disaster. We paid £460 for a family package for 3 aduts and 3 children with a free child place to Teide, Loro Parque, Flash and freebird sailing.We did not get the free child place we had to pay out for Loro Parque, we did not see all of mount Teide when others did, and had little time at Loro Parque.
14.Children swimming in the pool had beer thrown over them by the young holidaymakers which my daughter was one of those victms.
15.It got that bad that we spend our last week away from the hotel down at the breach, with other families.

I wouldn't recommend these apartments for any family holiday at all, the tour operaters should make this known to any family who book a holiday too The Oro Blanco. The Synopsis in the Airtours travel brochure is misleading.

To sum up on the Oro Blanco in Tenerife HELL.

Families and clubers don't mix.
No family Entertainment.
Fighing and singing during the night until early hours of the morning.
Hotel was nice but in wrong location, this is NOT for Families, it is more for the young and lively 18-30's people. The hotel reminded me of Fawlty Towers.

:(
I have been to the Oro Blanco twice (in y2k and 2002). I don't remember it ever being as bad as this. However, we are both young-(ish) (no family, but not into the 18-30 thing either). We are going there again next month!!

I don't remember it being that noisy really, and we didn't have or see any real problems with the young people and families mixing. The staff seemed quite friendly really too. I suppose these places can change and we are not the type of people to hang around the hotel and all day and evening anyway. I just hope the place isn't as bad as you make out when we go next month!
Believe me it was a nightmare, the hotel was nice but like I said families and clubers don't mix.

One lad had too much to drink and fall 4 floors to the ground only to be saved by a fance which you will see at the end of the hotel, and this was in front of the families.
oro blanco is in a great location for young ones. it isnt a family hotel at all and neither are its surrounding hotels (oro negro, las floritas, piramides). next time is suggest you go for a more up market hotel for instance there are many great 4 star hotels in tenerife. im actually quite shocked they sent a family to the oro blanco
I wasn't the only family it was packed with them, and young ones mainlly from Ireland or Scotland.
The read up on it in the airtours broucher reads: THIS LOVELY COMPLEX MAKES A GREAT CHOICE FOR COUPLES, FAMILIES OR GROUPS OF FRIENDS.

Even some of the single people go a hard time from the groups at the hotel.
well us scots know how to have fun :wink:

in all seriousness TOs always do that though; advertise to both markets. the thing is where you went is really the heart of where all the clubbers go
so i do have sympathy for you. you could complain i suppose but the TO will know that its a young ones hotel.

what i always do now is check reviews of the hotel before i go.

dont let this put you off going back. if you dont want to ever spend your holiday with clubbers always go for a 4 star. young ones cant afford it lol
I don't need sympathy, it was the TO who recommanded it. I was young once and still can party and have fun.

But what I am saying is, that the TO should changed what is placed in its brochure and stop mis-leading people about the Oro Blanco. Its bad when the Rep wants out.
We stayed at the Oro Blanco 2 years ago,we were slightly out of season as we went end Sept but there were quite a few families there even though the kids had gone back to school.
We didn't have a problem with noise although I agree there is absolutely no disipline around the pool area.Groups of teenagers would race around the pool area splashing and throwing cups of water over each other whilst their parents propped up the bar oblivious to what was going on.I got soaked on many occasion as did many other guests,and never even recived an apology.Don't get me wrong I know kids will be kids no matter how big they are but someone should be telling them off for that sort of behaviour but there was never anyone round to do anything about it.Same kids were messing around the pool area in the early hours laughing and screaming but nothing was ever done about itI wear ear plugs so the noise didn't bother me but I know loads were complaining.
I also agree about the pool bar,grossly understaffed and under stocked,they ran out of coke one day and didn't have ice another day until late afternoon.
This hotel is definately not suited to young families due to it's location.Hoards of prostitutes walk the streets outside and although they don't usually bother families and couples it's still not a nice thing to see.
There was a young couple on the bus from the airport this year with 3 little kids,we were staying elsewhere but they were staying at Oro Blanco.
I gave them fair warning re prostitutes and they were really shocked so much so they asked the rep on the bus if they could be moved before booking in.
Don't get me wrong the appartments are nice,yes there is no air con but you can hire a fan.The rooms were clean and quite spacious.
I found the reception staff were lovely and very helpful,the bar staff were polite and it wasn't their fault they were understaffed.
I would recommend it for couples but not for families
I agree with what you say, but when you have 18/19/20 year olds flashing in front of kids and throwing beer over them for a laugh its bang out of order.

The bar manger Ian who came to sort the problem out with the running side of the bar, did not get any help from the mangerment of the hotel. The rep Joe, tried to put entertainment on for the families, and pay for it out of her own money tells you something about the running of the hotel, she was also stopped by the mangerment.

I know a lot of families will be complaining.
tewalker - sorry to hear about your horrible experience at the Oro Blanco.

Ive stayed here a couple of times with my husband and two of our kids and there were loads of other families there at the same time.

Perhaps we didnt have the same experience as your family because we were there the first time in October and the second time in February, but I personally thought the bar and reception staff were very friendly, and have actually said on this forum before, that if you are looking for a "cheap and cheerful" complex then the Oro Blanco is absolutely fine, and in a good location.

You are absolutely right though, if the Tour Operator knew that it is very lively and noisy in the high season, then they should have informed you beforehand, and the brochure should have pointed out that its very lively in the high season.

Unfortunately there are some companies who put profit before customer service. :?
oro blanco is a fun place to stay and im actually shocked they let families go there. however this hotel is cheap and cheerful and lots of young ones flock there so next time go for a better hotel of you dont want to be surrounded by young ones.

im not playing the devils advocat but the young ones are on holiday too; its the TOs fault for sending families there

when i was on holiday this year in PDLA my hotel was very young and lively. there was however some families there but the hotel allocated them rooms at the back of the hotel and all us young ones to the front. anyway there was one family in particular who had a child about 8 i'd say who was a right little brat behind mummy and daddys eyes. he would always annoy this group of lads, i mean jump on them when they were sunbathing, throw balls at them etc. they group told him to go away on many occasions. however after the little brat threw all their towels in the pool the lads had enough and drenched him in beer. and of course the parents then started moaning and complaining over it.
Luckily we are going in October, so I hope we don't have a problem. We didn't have problems before the last 2 times we went, but that was in low season too, in March. I hope it's going to be ok. :shock: As Tootsie said, it's cheap and cheerful.
Its a bloody good hotel and nice and well looked after no problems with that. But how many on this thread, have children under 16 and would you stand for what was going on?
. it is predominantly a young persons hotel. you should complain to the tour operator about sending you to an unsuitable hotel for your party. apart from that there isnt much you can do. you cant stop clubbers enjoying there holiday just because you have children with you so please dont blame them.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.