Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Germany, Benelux and Northern Europe.
ostend belgium
14 Posts
Glynis has just been, I will direct her to this post to see if she can help you out.

Sarah
There is one but the local tourist office has done such a good job of keeping it secret I thought at first they'd knocked it down! The only info in English I can find is at http://www.toerisme-oostende.be/modules/page.phtml?pageid=819&languageid=3 , there is a better page in Flemish on the council's site at http://sport.oostende.be/Stedelijk%20Zwembad/2757/default_sport.aspx?id=646 but even they have managed to disguise a menu as just a list! The bit marked Openingstijden can be clicked and will give the times which are fairly easy to work out, the winter season is at the top, the summer (when the outdoor pool is also open) is next and then all the holidays.

It's between the main coast road and the beach to the west side of Koningspark. It should be walkable from the station in 20 minutes but there are a lot of distractions and roads to cross. But you don't have to walk because it's on the coastal tram route, and their map is quite good. http://www.dekusttram.be/kustgemeenten/9-0887_oostende.html You can see the stop Koninginnelaan and just above it Zwembad is marked, just a couple of minutes from the stop. Trams run about every 20 minutes and take 7 minutes.

I would be really interested in any up to date reports on Ostend, I've not been for ages and last I only passed through it on the tram.
Thank you Steve

I am going 21st March - PO Ferries and staying in Ostend for 4 days

I will update you then.

Shortty
Sorry but we didn't make it to the swimming baths. We did find a few bars that stayed open late though :cheers

Are you going with National holidays - that's who we went with 2 weeks ago.
hi Glynis

We are going as foot passengers on the Hull to Zeebrugher (sorry cant spell) ferry

My mum is Flemish and her family live in Ostend - but we havent been for years as my mums partner has been ill and unfortunately passed away. So now is the time to take her back to her roots and visit all the family again.

3 generations Mum, Daughter and My Daughter will be staying with mums sister who lives near the train station in Ostend- myself and daughter like to keep fit so thought we would do a little swimming and walking - We also like a drink. We are around the corner near McDonalds in the square-so if you know of some good pubs please let us know.

Unfortunatley i do not speak flemish but i understand what they say !!!!!! :que
My mum speaks it well
We will explore

Thanks - Shortty
Sorry to hear about your family's loss Shortty. Am sure you're mam will enjoy visiting her family and her roots (nice for you and daughter also).

Can't remember the names of the bars - one had a big green bottle outside. We just followed some Belgium people we met round the bars. Some bars are none smoking (if they sell food apparently) and others you can smoke in so you have a choice.

One of the bars we went into had a DJ and dance area will ask my friend if she remembers the name.

We met some nice local people on our night out so am sure you have a good time. Most people spoke English.

Enjoy and condolences to your mam x
Zeebrugge as a foot passenger? that may be another problem. Is your aunt picking you up from the ferry terminal as P&O aren't very helpful - they run a reasonable priced connecting coach but to Brugge Central station which is not where you want to be! Why they can't do it to Zeebrugge station calling at a tram stop I don't know! It's about half an hours walk from the terminal to the nearest tram stop.

I can remember the days when you could go straight to Ostend but these days they won't take foot passengers - which is why I haven't been in years.
Hi Glynis / Steve

Thanks for information on the bars -
Yes we are being picked up from the Ferry Terminal - we were told that it was a long walk to
the tram stop - and the coach was £20.50 to take us into Brugge
My mum remembers the ferries into Ostend - it would be much better for us as my auntie lives across the road from were they dock - We are very central :)

We go Sunday 21st March and will update you on Ostende - if it is any intrest to yourselfs!!!!

Shortty
Thanks Shortty all info greatly appreciated :cheers Have a lovely time.
I'm getting all nostalgic for the old Ostend ferry! Like arriving on a summer evening and sailing all the way down the quay alongside the bars and marina - the official start to the holiday. Or coming back on the 10:00 sailing and having the full breakfast in the proper restaurant served by uniformed stewards for less than the price in the self service - the official end of the holiday! I was normally connecting with a direct train to somewhere in the Alps (also now a thing of the past) but sometimes stayed longer.

Was never a fan of the Jetfoil, too unreliable and no catering. The Catarmaran was OK but by then the company had given up and the trains had been cut back to Brussels.

Please give us an up to date report on what Ostend is like today, I might have a use for it later this year.
Is this place worth a visit? Just trying to work out where to go on the 17th.
very much depends on where you start from, how you travel, what your interests are and how long you have.
Hi Got back on Sunday this week - we were staying with family - near the sea front

The weather was nice and warm - There are bars to go into but night clubs have been closed down due to rowdy customers - They are going to knock down the train station and re build a new modern one + the ferry port.
I found the life style very slow and relaxing not like us British always looking at our watches etc
Plenty of small coffee shops selling pancakes/waffles and belgium chocs - NO GOOD FOR THE WAIST
LINE!!!! Went to Brugg on the train -only took 15 mins from ostende train station and cost 7 euros return.
For us Ostende is a nice place - my mum is Flemish -so we are now going to visit every year- we go as foot passengers on the PO Ferries from Hull and it sails at 7pm and arrives at 8am in the morning at Zeebrugger - where we are met by the family.
Ostende is ok for us - but it all depends on what you like to see and do. :)

Anything else please ask and I may be able to help
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.