Algarve/Portugal/Madeira/Azores Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in the Algarve
if you take a look at the resort reports you may glean some more information, personally i think old town Alberfura will best suite you as its only a short taxi ride [or a longer walk to the strip for the nightclubs and livelier bars but you have the nicer restaurants and bars around the back streets of the town plaza ,for ideas on trips see the what to do and see sticky topic further up the index page

wizard
Thanks Wizard i'll look into the reports you've kindly sent to me :cheers
The old town is nice - we've stayed there before. It's got plenty going on and a nice square with bars and restaurants.

Lagos is very nice also, so is Vilamoura.
Thanks Glynis.........

Would anyone be able to name a few hotels / apartments that are in the old town please ?

I will probably make the odd night down to the "strip" to see what thats like too.

:tup
I think either Albuferia old town or Lagos would be good.

Out of season Lagos might be too quiet for a young couple, but in June/July it will be pretty lively not as many clubs as Albuferia as even if you stay in Albuferia Old Town you will be able to get to the strip for nights out, but Lagos has lots of restaurants and bars to go to of an evening.

If you want half days out from Lagos you can go up to the old Morrish Town of Silves and look round the castle and have lunch. There are also jeep safaris, there is a waterpark called slide and splash if you like that kind of thing. There are boat trips as well and other resorts you can visit for the day if you want a change of scenery. There are tourist shops that sell all the trips in both places and they have flyers that you can take away so you can pick up a few and decide what trips are best for you.
Would anyone be able to name a few hotels / apartments that are in the old town please ?

These are some of the hotels; plenty of information and reviews here and elsewhere

Sol E Mar (the only one on the beach)
Belver Boa Vista
Rocamar
Baltum
California
Vila Recife
São Vicente
Mansão Bertolina
Estalagem do Cerro

These apartment hotels are ten minutes walk from town

Brisa Sol
Vila Galé Cerro Alagoa
Solaqua
Albufeira Jardim
Im in my early 40's and have been to Albufuria and Lagos. I much prefer Lagos. Saying that the old town is nice but on the stip I got so fed up of being asked if I wanted to buy any "good stuff".
Hello,

Ive looked online for holidays to Portugal 18/19th June to 25/26th June on Thomas Cook website and it says none available from East Midlands does anyone know if the high street shops might still have package deals available from East Midlands or not ????

As they arent open today I cant ring them up !!!

Thanks
I( suggest that you search on http://www.travelsupermarket.com/ or some other similar holiday search site
I managed to book the Vila Galé Cerro Alagoa for a week and go on 19th June so only 6 days to go :)
Hopefully the walk isnt too far to both the old town and the strip as i'll try both places out if it is i'll be lazy and get a taxi ;)

Hope the weather is better than it is here !!
It's scorching here at the moment and they say the Summer has well and truly started. We're going home tomorrow! :sad
Have a great time! :wave
Legs77 - the old town is only 6 or 7 minutes walk, no problem. The Strip maybe 15, to the top end anyway, then it's another ten minutes past all those bars. The tourist 'train' will take you there for €2,50 or the bus for €1,10. Both go from just along the road.

Our trusty local weather station says it hit 30.2C Tuesday, that's 86F. It was quite breezy and didn't feel that hot when I was out and about.

Now at 2am it is 17C/63F, quite a contrast and rather blowy with it.
Cubsar - Thanks for the information 6-7 mins isnt a long walk then !!!

I think i'll be getting the train to the strip then if its that cheap.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.