Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Magalluf beach is i believe manmade but it's lovely. It's not as safe for kids as it shelves quite deeply into the sea, but Palma Nova gives you the child friendly option. There's at least two beaches there, i think maybe three, of which 2 are long stretches of sand, one is son matias end, the other is playa palma nova. However Jellyfish are more common at the Palma Nova ones I believe.
I remember lots of Jellyfish in Belgium, but not in Majorca.
Still last time I was in Majorca I was a kid.

Do the Jellyfish come into the shoreline?
I bet the little blighters are almost invisible and they sting :?

I remember finding lot of sea enema's, the purple ones. :lol:
And crabs in the rock pools.
My daughter is really excited about searching for them.
Magaluf Beach is lovely. It is cleaned every night and well maintained. The water is lovely and calm and little shoals of fish swam next to you in the quite shallow water. When we were there 3 years ago in October there was one day when you couldn't go into the water because of jellyfish. They were small and brown in colour and came right to the waters edge. The kids were catching them in nets and filling up buckets with them - yuck! Went to Palma Nova Beach but wasn't so keen on that one partly because it is next to the road and didn't feel quite as 'private', it is a nice beach though. Son Matias beach is nice too.
At least I should spot them if they are brown :lol:
Do they sting?

I remember seeing shoals of fish too, I bought a snorkel and goggle :lol: Aw happy memories.

My kids are looking forward it so much.

There seems to be a choice of beaches, so I will try them all.
Yes they sting, that's how the kids discovered they were there!
Magaluf beach manmade beach I don't think it is.
OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!
JimnLiz

I will have to watch out for the little blighters. :?
Kaz I wouldn't worry too much about jellyfish. Have had 3 holidays in Majorca, all 2 weeks at a time, and that's the first time we have ever seen any. Look out for a packed beach but empty water sure giveaway that jellyfish are on the go. The sea was like jellyfish soup that day there was so many but by late aftermoon they had all but disappeared again. You will have a great holiday, Majorca has something for everyone and more. Enjoy!
JELLYFISH SOUP :shock:

I will avoid the sea if it's empty.
My son just told me he saw some in Alcudia when he was in the sea, so he stayed in his rubber boat lol

Thanks

Karen
  • Edited by KAZZZZA 2007-12-06 19:18:09
found son matias to be the best beach,lots of fish to be fed from the balcony of ruby tuesdays!!
or you can just walk in front of El Mosquito bar down from Ruby Tuesdays anf then you can see al lthe kids fishing wiht bits of bread and near where htey haev the scuba diving place right under Rubys

but to be honest all the beaches in that immediate area have little fish and you can see the bigger ones if you just float around on your lilo

Jelly fish are not that bad - its juts a little sting they give you and the life guards are alwasy on hand wiht there magic cream

Son Caliu is a nice beach its tiny, loads of rocks and different fish

aslo the beach access form Villamar 1 apartments is brilliant close to SOn Caliu beach that yuo can walk roudn on the rocks my kids loved it
Both beaches are good but Palma Nova is gently shelving and really good for kids.
We stayed at the Son Matias beach hotel in 2006 and I must say it was one of the best hotels we have stayed in, every room has a fantastic sea view. The beach is lovely and clean and is perfect for everyone. the hotel is for adults only so sadly not suitable for families, however for couples it is perfect. We also stay at the hotel Alicia in Cala Bona, which is a very nice resort with shops and restaurants stretching all the way along the lovely promenade to Cala Millor which has a fantastic beach also. Mallorca is a fantastic island of contrasts and has something for everyone, we do try other places but I must say our heart lies in Mallorca and we return whenever we can.

Tony
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.