Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
Hi

If you found Pefkos too British, then you may find the same with Paphos. Although once you get away from the tourist trap and explore some of the more remote villages, this will change.

I'm surprised though the car hire company last time you were in Cyprus didn't advise you to contact the DVLA in UK as they can fax a copy of your drivers licence through to you within the hour!

If you wanted to come to Cyprus and explore the island, I would suggest basing yourself in Limassol. It's a combination of tourist, residential and working resort but is situated in the middle of either airport so a trip to either end of the island will take no longer than about 90 minutes driving time.

There are a number of brits living in Limassol but they don't all congregate in the same place unlike some of the other resorts.

CwB
We aren't too keen on the Limassol area - and thnk we're going to stay around Paphos area (mark has been to protaros side twice - but never the west of the island)

Is Paphos very britishy then? We'd been led to believe that it isn't as 'british' a destination as Protoras etc.

Last year in Rhodes we much preferred Lindos, Lardos and Rhodes Town too Pefkos - although didn't mind staying there as we hired a vehicle.
Shirrazzy wrote:
Is Paphos very britishy then?
More places selling Fish 'n Chips than Blackpool! More ex-pat Brits than the whole of Spain.
Look in a travel brochure. There are more pages for Paphos than the rest of the island.

One day in Paphos per year to meet my mate Jim is enough for me.

Mark

PS: I've been told millions of times not to exagerate.
We stayed at the Kefalos Beach Village, which is apartments, which might fit the bill. There was a kids club. It is on the way from Paphos out to Coral Bay, but on the sea away from the busy main road. We hired a car for the fortnight. There was plenty of car parking space. We booked direct, but it is in most of the package tour operators brochures. Have a look at the reviews. We had no problems. They threw in the buffet breakfast and we often ate at the buffet for dinner too. There is also a poolside snack bar. It is low-rise, designed to look like a Cypriot village.

http://www.kefalos.com.cy/kefalos-home.htm
Crikey :cheers - oh well as we like to hire a vehicle for our whole stay and venture out into the villages and mountains i'm sure we'll be fine - we'll just have to avoid the fish n chips. But thabnks for all the honesty...

We had actually looked at the Kefalos Apartments - so thanks for that. Mehmeh1
Hi we are travelling to Cyprus in October 2009, we are staying at the Holiday Village Aliathon on All Inclusive basis. We are a family of four 2 adults and 2 kids 10 & 4. I have been to Paphos many times and would recommend it as a base if you want to explore the island. Fantastic seafood restaurants by the harbour in Paphos and also various Cypriot restaurants serving local cuisine dotted around the resort. The only reason we have booked All Inclusive for next year is because there wasn't much difference in the price between Self Catering and All Inclusive but we do plan to eat out a few times whilst we're there. Weather is normally pretty good in October too :sun2

Hope i've helped
Lynda
Thanks Lynda - that is great! :wave:

We are big seafood and cypriot / greek food lovers so thanks for that.

Are there many restaurants with childrens play areas? Only asking as when we visited Pernera in 07 there were so many that our daughter was really in her element.

Once again - many thanks x
Hi Shirazzy

There were a few with mini swing parks beside them last time we were there (approx 4 years ) not sure there may be more of them now :que

We absolutely love Cyprus, Paphos is our favourite resort, lots of historical sites around that area too. ie baths of aphrodite, tomb of the kings, sanctuary of aphrodite to name but a few.

We are really looking forward to next October as we haven't had a holiday this year so it'll be a well deserved holiday for us. Hope you get something sorted out soon. :cheers

Lynda x
Thanks Lynda.

We were just wondering about it for ur daughter - neither of us have ever visited the Pahos side and are really looking forward to it. :sun2 (shame we've a year to wait)

Luckily we did holiday this year in Rhodes - travelled around the whole Island and fell in love with it. However we don't want to get in the rut of returning to the same places year in year out (but will definatley be back there -the weather was amazing and plenty of sightseeing to be done!) :D

Cheers :cheers
Hi Shirazzy

Have you managed to get something booked for 2009 then. What accommodation did you decide on??

I'm sure you'll have a good holiday whatever you choose to do. We fly 14th October 2009, can't wait but it seems like ages away yet :cry

Lynda x
Not booked and confirmed yet - but we are looking at villas/maisonettes - just looking at flights.

Although we may still book self catering through Direct Hols / Thomsons etc.

x
we are off to paphos on weds [15th oct] we booked flights and villa last week...
try to remember to post about paphos when i get back
jo
xx
Hi
we stayed at the St Nicolas apartments in Chlorakas in October with our girls aged 6 and 8. It was ideal for the girls with childrens pools and also a playground with swings etc. there is a very friendly onsite restaurant taverna that serves authentic Cypriot food very reasonably priced. Complex itself is top draw and brand new though drive up the hill is a little awkward. Good mix of other Europeans that our girls made friends with. Hope this helps - worth a look for sure
Hello Shirazzy,
We have had two children and we have stayed in Paphos all the time. We have done snorkeling for years and have now taken up diving but if you stay in Paphos and go up to the Baths of Aphrodite you will get a lot of enjoyment from snorkeling in the waters there, it's beautiful, clear, warm, lots of fish ( if you take some bread with you and break it up under the water, it's great! ) You can go all round the Akamas snorkeling and the north is particularly nice, (and warmer believe it or not )
For the history go to the Tomb of the Kings, it really is very good, there is also the Mosaics, they are beautiful and because you have a car/jeep go to Kourion, the relics there are very good. We also have a jeep for the duration of our stay and we have been to see the bridges on the camel trail, we think you will find these in a tourist book, but if not just ask, we will be pleased to give you any help.
The children will enjoy the Luna park which is at the other end of Paphos, the Go Kart track, opposite end. There is a Donkey Sanctuary at Vouni, easy in a car/jeep, which the children will enjoy. They can adopt a donkey and walk round all the pens and stroke them, they are well looked after being conected to the Donkey Sanctuary in Devon.
Hope you have a great holiday, Amber and Karl
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.