Cyprus Discussion Forums

Discussions regarding holidays in Cyprus
been all over IMO Protaras is quieter and more layed back whilst Pafos is bigger brasher and more in the face, having said that i like them both

wizard
Thanks for that. Protaras suited hubby & I but I think as a group of 6 adults we 're probably looking for something a little bigger. We don't want AI as we're doing that this year. Which would you say budget wise will be the best option as we found Protaras relatively expensive. Saying that we ate out a couple of nights as our HB was rubbish!
the resort prices wont be a lot diffrent the ay to save is the same for all resorts Buy where the locals go dont buy food products in the resort but go to one of the larger supermarkets and use local not english brands, if eating out again get away from the resort areas you will save a lot of money

wizard
the prices in Pathos were relatively expensive, we found and thatw as 4 years ago but we loved the place. It has 2 parts. the old town and harbour which has lovely restaurants and cafe bars and then there is a new town in the centre which has bars, clubs, discos, dancing, the lot. We especially liked the Robin hood bar, plenty of shots and great music. Have fun.

Ruth
Im going back to Paphos on Monday for a few days to stay with my friend as she has a villa in Tala just outside Paphos....
I don't mind going there for a short break but would never think of bookin my main 2wk holiday there.... I much prefer the other side... depends what you are going for... if you like your beaches... forget paphos as they are nothing like the Eastern side of the island... not even Coral Bay.. I was well disappointed in that.... but thats only my opinion... As I say... all depends on what you want out of your holiday..
Gail...
Have been to Pernera/Protaras several times and for a change went to Paphos a couple of years ago.Paphos is a different beast altogether,much bigger,brasher,cosmopolitan but can be just as quiet if you want.We stayed at the Avanti which was ideal as it was close enough to the many restaurants(several very good ones on the doorstep in the triangle opposite) but far enough away from the bustle at night time.The beaches are very disappointing so if you are a real beach bum forget it.
One big difference I found(sorry Jim,it's true) was the temperature.I thought it was much warmer and humid in Paphos and quite uncomfortable at night time.Protaras,as you probably know gets very windy in the afternoon which lasts into late evening(certainly any time we've been in July).
I would also say that eating out in Paphos is a bit more expensive than Protaras,not a complaint before anyone jumps on the bandwagon as we like eating out each night :D
Edited to add that I did enjoy Paphos and for a change of scenery we are going to Coral Bay this year and hope to visit some of the restaurants we went to in Paphos before.And we are well stocked up on the Avon SSS,the wife was eaten alive the last time.
Hi Helen T.
Like Dav, we have also been to both resorts and also stayed at Avanti in Pahos. I would agree with Dav's comments about the Avanti.
We hired a car for a week when in Pafos and drove all around the island.
We drove to Protaras for the day to drop in on people we had met in previous years and I have to say we really did not want to go back to Pafos once we saw protaras again.
But it really depends on what you want to do. There are more historic sights to see in Pafos but the beaches are rubbish. We went in July and found it was far too hot to wander around historic sights anyhow.
Going back to Protaras this year, we love it! :D
I aways think that the east of the island looks better in my rear view mirror..as for beaches in the Pafos area (I live very close to Tala) they are here but thankfully you need to look...and know where they are..Coral Bay beach is for tourist mostly, and when I go to a beach (not often as I don't like sand) it is always further west also remember Pafos is open all year not just for the summer season, this is very important to me, and one of the reasons why we chose this area..all parts of the island have good and bad points, as for eating out I have never in twenty years found any part of the island cheaper than the other, again local knowledge saves a fortune..and better food to boot!, my advice as always eat where the locals eat..stay away from tourist spots, the same for any other destination in the world.

Bit cloudy here today but warm..supposed to be a good week for weather, must say though the island in general is having a very mixed weather this month!! nice though for us locals we can sleep at nights..

Last comment did you know Pafos is the destination for Nicosians!! in August, Pafos is packed with them, why? well it is far LESS humid this end of the island....they should know, I find it as unbearable here as any other part of Cyprus b****y hot as always.

bye!! 8)
another Pafos beach not many know about...

http://www.discoverpaphos.com/images/articles/13.jpg
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.