Spain - Balearics - Majorca Discussion Forum

Discussions regarding holidays in Majorca.
Have not seen the parade of the Kings but have been twice to Palma in January, the weather is pleasant. Long lunches by the harbour just a long sleeved t shirt and jeans. Need a coat for the evenings though. We went this January and the one before. We did see a festival it was at the endof January, big firework display too on the harbour. All the street lights were out. It was lovely. All the locals had picnics too on the harbour side. We stayed at a hotel on the harbour 15 mins walk to the cathedral
I think you may be referring to King's Day which is held on 6th January and which is when most Spanish Children get their presents. (It's good being a British kid in Spain - you get presents at Christmas and then again on King's Day!)

I think it's called Epiphany in England.

Hope this helps,

Cheers

Adam
Yes, it is very well worth going to the parade. The Three Kings arrive by boat to the quayside then parade into the city centre, heading up a spectacular parade of floats. Scores of children (and a few of us adults!) scramble to collect wrapped sweets which are chucked over the crowds from the floats. Later everyone eats (this being Spain, not much before 10pm) and exchanges presents. Take an umbrella - just in case. I've been four times and it rained just the once. Torrentialy!
Many thanks for the replies. It sounds wonderful, is it always on Jan. 6th. or does it vary. Anyone know what the festival at the end of January is that bejay wrote about with the firework display? I can't get flight tickets for beginning of Jan.2007 all local flights are booked so thought we could go then.
I will make sure I book early for Jan.2008 in order to see parade of kings!
:wave
of course the Epiphany is jan 6th like christmas day is dec 25th!! it's not movable.
Thank you, just wondered if they always held the parade on the same day of the week! :oops:
If you are over here with Children you must tell them to put out a shoe on the window sill full of straw / hay for the king's camels to eat!!!

More of a problem for Dads than sherry and mince pies I guess. :lol:
Marge, the fiesta later in the month is Sant Sebastià, the patron saint of Palma. The event itself, with fireworks, is quite a thing, and is very popular. It was 20th January this year. I think the day is always the same.

By the way, in Alcudia, the Three Kings parade is on the night of 5 January, not the 6th. Maybe Palma ¡s different.
Holiday Truths Forum

Post a Reply

Please sign in or register an account to reply to this post.

Sign in / Register

Holiday Truths Forum Ship image

Get the best deals!

from our cruise, ski and holiday partners

You can change your email preferences at any time.

Yes, I want to save money by receiving personalised travel emails with awesome deals from Holiday Truths group companies which are hotholidays.co.uk,getrcuising.co.uk and getskiing.co.uk. By subscribing I agree to the Privacy Policy

No, thank you.